Brexit. Success? Too early to judge? Disaster?

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A success in the vote, an abject failure in the execution, thanks to the establishment, the political class, the House of Lords, all of who won’t accept the result of a referendum, a popular vote, mos

Funny that... I've set up 3 new business in the brexit and post brexit period,  The technology business (Atmos-Clear) isn't easy and requires a lot of investment, we've secured, government a

The shithouse remainers tried everything to reverse Brexit but couldn’t, so they decided to oppose everything about Brexit and blame everything on Brexit, just so they could say “I told you !”. I

Posted Images

Had my best tomato crop ever at the Allotments last year.

I used to give excess tomatos away but last year we made loads of the "Dolmio" type sauces with tomatoes, garlic and onion, and froze them.

Also made lots of green tomato and red onion chutney.

I didn't have a Nostradamus moment and foreseen the shortages, just got lucky, I guess.

The shortage is due to a few factors, freak weather in Spain and North Africa, home growers not being able to afford the greenhouse heating and lighting to grow out of season crops due to spiralling energy costs are two of the reasons, nothing to do with Brexit.

Mainland Europe isn't as seriously affected simply because it's easier and cheaper for suppliers to get their stocks there than to the U.K.

But, hey, ANYTHING that goes wrong will be blamed on Brexit by the sad, undemocratic remoaners.

Cheers.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

I used to give excess tomatos away but last year we made loads of the "Dolmio" type sauces with tomatoes, garlic and onion, and froze them.

I didn't have a Nostradamus moment and foreseen the shortages, just got lucky, I guess.

The shortage is due to a few factors, freak weather in Spain and North Africa, home growers not being able to afford the greenhouse heating and lighting to grow out of season crops due to spiralling energy costs are two of the reasons, nothing to do with Brexit.

Mainland Europe isn't as seriously affected simply because it's easier and cheaper for suppliers to get their stocks there than to the U.K.

But, hey, ANYTHING that goes wrong will be blamed on Brexit by the sad, undemocratic remoaners.

Cheers.

FB_IMG_1677278772414.jpg.cb5a529e3698a61f6e7a5825f489ca1e.jpg

Coincidentally, I was ferreting on some new permission yesterday, and the farmer said to help myself to a few turnips,

IMG_0051.jpg.3bd1c2f26f4c8277654b7eb60b455700.jpg

So dinner today was sausage and bacon in gravy with onions, done in the oven, and carrots, turnip and new potatoes, no tomatoes needed.

Good wholesome grub for a chilly day.

Cheers.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Only same silly buggers shouting into their own echo chamber re covid lol. Science is in and of course I was right ✅?

you was wrong mate vaccinated under 50s have a 50 percent higher mortality rate 

just about everything you put up as been proven wrong but your not a bad egg just easily fooled ? 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Coincidentally, I was ferreting on some new permission yesterday, and the farmer said to help myself to a few turnips,

IMG_0051.jpg.3bd1c2f26f4c8277654b7eb60b455700.jpg

So dinner today was sausage and bacon in gravy with onions, done in the oven, and carrots, turnip and new potatoes, no tomatoes needed.

Good wholesome grub for a chilly day.

Cheers.

sounds nice chart just without the carrots and turnips ? 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Indeed, it is NOTHING to do with Brexit.  In addition, the French pay more for pretty much everything food related than the UK, so when there is an international shortage the suppliers stick with the countries they make the most profit from, like France.

I'm there a lot, and it never ceases to amaze me how expensive general food items are compared to the UK.   There is very little I bring back except wine!!!

• Like 1

....and another thing, just what is wrong with people, we are a bit short of a few fruit and veg, get over it, the whole international food supply chain is working feverishly to resolve the situation!

When they do, you will probably notice a price rise, and complain about that as well, its called supply and demand, its been around forever!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Regards the original op I have seen a massive boom/investment in UK industry. I've not seen the amount of apprenticeship schemes etc in my life time. Whether energy renewable, nuclear, defense , electric cars, Rolls-Royce, JCB etc etc. After decades of racing to the bottom and lack of training and investment we seem to be accepting the fact that you need home grown skills . The lack of foresight and planning pre/post Brexit has been pitiful. COVID obviously hampered progress, along with the usual political ineptitude and corruption, now Ukraine/Russia affecting already very limited supply chains . The week pound to dollar and the list goes on . Outside of these factors I still feel positive about leaving the Brussels party behind us. Hopefully we can have a little clean up of British politics, the untold destruction of trust between politicians/ media and the British public may take a lot longer though. I'm hoping the polarisation of politics/media/public will reduce as people begin to see the lunacy of the extreme left and right. One being a reaction of the other. Having our country continually living in austerity is a big part of it , an ineffective health service , diabolical transport routes potholes and traffic normalised, long hours , both parents having to work full time to make ends meet. It's pretty shite tbh, in what's supposed to be a wealthy country. I'm going to raise my boys here for various reasons but on the whole I'll be encouraging them to seek adventure elsewhere later on. I think the country will do okay financially in the coming decades, but I also think it'll be unrecognisable culturally, with very little public space, rich / poor divide is huge, house prices are going to have to decrease to be affordable. If interest rates rise by another percent lots of people are going to lose homes. If it was 13 % in the late eighties when houses were half the price then I think it's fairly comparable to now looking at mortgage to earnings and current rates. Anyway Brexit feels like small change currently.....

• Like 5
WWW.TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

Blow to Scholz after economy suffered steeper downturn than previously thought

Germany is on the brink of a recession after its economy declined more steeply than expected last year, while Britain appears poised to narrowly avoid one in defiance of international predictions.

Official figures show the German economy shrank by 0.4pc in the final three months of last year, faring worse than feared after an initial estimate had put the drop at 0.2pc.

The economy will enter recession if it suffers another contraction in the first quarter of 2023.

Meanwhile, an uptick in consumer confidence and falling wholesale energy prices suggest Britain may escape without a recessionary period – in defiance of predictions from the Bank of England and International Monetary Fund, which suggested that the UK would be the only G7 nation to contract this year.

Xuxin Mao, of the National Institute of Economic and Social Research, said: “The UK is proving to be the lucky one and is likely to narrowly avoid a recession with a small positive GDP growth number, while the German economy is going to have a small negative growth rate this year.” 

He added the IMF’s pessimistic prediction seemed to have impacted expectations for the UK and that forecasts may have some “fine-tuning” to do.

Many other forecasters still believe Britain will still enter a recession, albeit a smaller and shorter one than previously thought. 

In Germany, demand fell across the board in the final quarter of 2022. Only government consumption and inventories prevented an even steeper economic drop.

Although gas prices have fallen rapidly, economists say the energy crisis and high inflation are pushing Europe’s manufacturing powerhouse into retreat.

A recession would be a serious blow for Olaf Scholz, the German Chancellor, who said last month that he was "absolutely convinced" his country would avoid one

• Haha 1