Hunting partners

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes it's good to just do your own thing...... Cheers.  

only time I hunt with others,is when they want something from me( help to get something going normally/ or keep their permission because they to scared to dig/kill something with their own dogs?)not m

I'd recommend grinder ,I've met some extremely friendly lads 

Posted Images

Just now, chartpolski said:

None at all, one of my mates is doing it up.

Cheers.

Ah you look the part sitting there mate..

I bumped into a lad nearly 20yrs ago who lived in a vardo..while I was out ferreting..he was some character.

Swapped a young lurcher for a rabbit with me..

Was telling me about catching a load of worms and keeping them in flour for a few days they would eat the flour and empty the shit out of them in a few days..then he would fry them up for dinner.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, king said:

Ah you look the part sitting there mate..

I bumped into a lad nearly 20yrs ago who lived in a vardo..while I was out ferreting..he was some character.

Swapped a young lurcher for a rabbit with me..

Was telling me about catching a load of worms and keeping them in flour for a few days they would eat the flour and empty the shit out of them in a few days..then he would fry them up for dinner.

This lads got a genuine, fully fitted out living van, and this one is a cart conversion he's fitting out, he's living in the field while he does the work.

Cheers.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

This lads got a genuine, fully fitted out living van, and this one is a cart conversion he's fitting out, he's living in the field while he does the work.

Cheers.

Is he planning on pulling it about with the horse in the summer time..

Proper living free ?

Bought a pup off a lad through here. Worked the dogs together for 8 seasons. Had some cracking sport and good laughs. I came away from the running dogs for abit and he got a new missus and left the dogs behind. Life carried on for us both until he took himself off to a spot we used to hunt and took his own life. I had typed out a message to him the day before but didn’t send it. One of my few regrets in life! 

• Sad 9

Unless I travel to follow mates footpacks then it's mostly by myself, brought my son alot but now has no interest these days. An odd day with one or two lads I know yrs. A mates young lad is hunting mad so he's started to come out with me a bit.  Mostly by myself and tbh I'm happy like that. Yrs ago went out with different lads digging and different crews but found all the bullshit, snakey behavior etc.....too much for me, not into it.

Do wish my son kept the interest but ya can't force em. 

Most of my best hunts and days were by myself.

Edited by harryshounds

I had a couple my old man was my main one I did spend my time in the  company of  many but I had enough of some of them in the first hour never mind the night I got to see some good dogs run and some not so good what I did  notice the better dogs were always owned by good company who played there dogs down he's ok ect I spent most of my time doing my own thing but I remember arranging to pick a lad up who had been in a pub all day he came out the house with this collie x it looked like a mongrel it was some close relation to a dog called Chester the drive up was worth it just watch that dog run he was some dog endless stamina and drive but today I don't walk with many as it not same as it was 

• Like 1

ive had trips. out with a fair few over the years. My hunting partner i met through work around 40 years ago. He was 20 odd years older and took me under his wing . Had some great times he passed away a few years ago.

• Like 3

Met loads over the years. Some can't keep up, some don't like to cross boundaries, some take the piss and risk ya liberty. Some let you down, loads talk bollox ? keeping ya mouth shut  at times is an important skill when hunting ?

I think a lot of the time life gets in the way and makes things hard to organise. I tend to go out mostly on my own, as I can grab a hour or two here and there.

Distance is a big thing with hunting associates now a days for  me. As you get older people spread about and arranging meets becomes a bit of a thing. Driving a hour or two, to meet and take the dogs out for a few hours only happens every now and then.

2 hours ago, Blackmag said:

I had a couple my old man was my main one I did spend my time in the  company of  many but I had enough of some of them in the first hour never mind the night I got to see some good dogs run and some not so good what I did  notice the better dogs were always owned by good company who played there dogs down he's ok ect I spent most of my time doing my own thing but I remember arranging to pick a lad up who had been in a pub all day he came out the house with this collie x it looked like a mongrel it was some close relation to a dog called Chester the drive up was worth it just watch that dog run he was some dog endless stamina and drive but today I don't walk with many as it not same as it was 

l no were youre coming from mate ive   seen  dogs like that over the years   walk the walk so to speak  

• Like 1