WHAT’S THE FUTURE FOR LURCHER WORK ?

With the scotland thing lurcher work never came on the radar simply because there was no one to speak for us. So we just ended up collateral damage. The problem with lurcher folks is a fair few will hop over the fence. Straight away legally we are in the wrong. Regardless of leaving no damage and doing no harm. We are a tricky bunch to legitimize 

• Like 2

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You’re so right Luckee, nothing is lost until you give up trying to fight for it. Unfortunately that appears to be where the lurcher world is right now and as someone with a great affection for runnin

I am in contact with Ed Swales from Hunting Kind. They are trying to put forward the case for 'natural hunting' which means that hunting with dogs (all dogs, as in fox hounds, beagles, harriers, terri

Dont think you will change the mind of the green party full of arrogant mixed up c..ts had a good day yesterday bolting  to the dogs 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, terryd said:

With the scotland thing lurcher work never came on the radar simply because there was no one to speak for us. So we just ended up collateral damage.

Hi Terryd,

Yes there’s no doubt about it, that failure to engage has led us to where we are today. I remember in one of the early oral evidence sessions (1st June 2022 - see video below), the Government’s Bill Team of Civil Servants and later supported by the Minister, argued that in Scotland dogs were rarely used to hunt rabbits and that “rabbiting” was often used as an excuse by “illegal hare coursers” when they were approached by the Police. They argued that by including rabbits within the scope of the Bill would help prevent any such activities – and that is still their position, and the very reason we’re having these discussions today. Had the lurcher world had any sort of formal representation, then that argument wouldn’t have held water.

https://www.scottishparliament.tv/meeting/rural-affairs-islands-and-natural-environment-committee-june-1-2022

At the very next evidence session the following week, the NWTF pointed out this was not the case and that had they consulted with either a terrier or lurcher club on the subject then they would have got a completely different picture. We also went to great lengths to explain the problems the inclusion of rabbits would create and in other areas too. But in the absence of any formal representation from the lurcher world, that fell on deaf ears too. The C.A. did there bit too and put forward amendments which would have rectified the situation, but were also ignored.

https://www.scottishparliament.tv/meeting/rural-affairs-islands-and-natural-environment-committee-june-8-2022

Just for the record and to give some sort of insight into what went on behind the scenes, I’ve attached one of the several briefing notes produced by the NWTF and sent to supportive MSPs on the subject of lurchers and rabbits, even though it was outside of our remit. As I keep saying there’s plenty of support out there to be had.

Kindest Regards - Barrie

LURCHER v RABBIT Page 1.jpg

LURCHER v RABBIT Page 2.jpg

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

professor steven harris wow his word is gosbel  i dont think judge would give the likes of  me even second  glance having a debate with a proffesor but you can see there he is pure anti and used his title to turn anther  screw  but i get the picture no 1 there to argue your corner  easy day for the enemy thanks  mate for  the information  

As I said earlier in the post, lurcher work especially for rabbits can't be just about pest control. It's a very environmently friendly, carbon free, method of harvesting good clean free range meat.....it's a very sustainable way to get food and provides valuable means of pest control and also excellent way for young people to get exercise, fresh air, keep out of trouble by having a hobbie etc........

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, harryshounds said:

As I said earlier in the post, lurcher work especially for rabbits can't be just about pest control. It's a very environmently friendly, carbon free, method of harvesting good clean free range meat.....it's a very sustainable way to get food and provides valuable means of pest control and also excellent way for young people to get exercise, fresh air, keep out of trouble by having a hobbie etc........

Good explanation harry an 100% correct

5 hours ago, shaaark said:

Just watched the ITV thread in the general talk section.

Ah well, that's put paid to the slight glimmer of optimism I had after voting yesterday!!

I can't believe those fools that has proper fecked it now..

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Barrie said:

Hi Terryd,

Yes there’s no doubt about it, that failure to engage has led us to where we are today. I remember in one of the early oral evidence sessions (1st June 2022 - see video below), the Government’s Bill Team of Civil Servants and later supported by the Minister, argued that in Scotland dogs were rarely used to hunt rabbits and that “rabbiting” was often used as an excuse by “illegal hare coursers” when they were approached by the Police. They argued that by including rabbits within the scope of the Bill would help prevent any such activities – and that is still their position, and the very reason we’re having these discussions today. Had the lurcher world had any sort of formal representation, then that argument wouldn’t have held water.

https://www.scottishparliament.tv/meeting/rural-affairs-islands-and-natural-environment-committee-june-1-2022

At the very next evidence session the following week, the NWTF pointed out this was not the case and that had they consulted with either a terrier or lurcher club on the subject then they would have got a completely different picture. We also went to great lengths to explain the problems the inclusion of rabbits would create and in other areas too. But in the absence of any formal representation from the lurcher world, that fell on deaf ears too. The C.A. did there bit too and put forward amendments which would have rectified the situation, but were also ignored.

https://www.scottishparliament.tv/meeting/rural-affairs-islands-and-natural-environment-committee-june-8-2022

Just for the record and to give some sort of insight into what went on behind the scenes, I’ve attached one of the several briefing notes produced by the NWTF and sent to supportive MSPs on the subject of lurchers and rabbits, even though it was outside of our remit. As I keep saying there’s plenty of support out there to be had.

Kindest Regards - Barrie

LURCHER v RABBIT Page 1.jpg

LURCHER v RABBIT Page 2.jpg

That is really good data Barry. I had no idea this had been analysed in this way

1 hour ago, Luckee legs said:

That is really good data Barry. I had no idea this had been analysed in this way

Hi Luckee

The data side is all pretty straightforward. The figures I derived from truly independent sources on the internet (in order to avoid any suggestions of biase and to be able to back them up should I need to) and the analysis was simply a matter of 5 mins on a calculator.

The Stephen Harris comments, which clearly contradict and negate the cruelty claims and description given by the S.S.P.C.A., are all a matter of public record. I just happened to be sat in that same room when Harris was giving his evidence some 20+ years back.

Kindest Regards - Barrie

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, harryshounds said:

Very romantic but truth be known ,the general public couldn't care less.

Lurcher owners are such a tiny minority nobody cares.

• Like 1