WHAT’S THE FUTURE FOR LURCHER WORK ?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You’re so right Luckee, nothing is lost until you give up trying to fight for it. Unfortunately that appears to be where the lurcher world is right now and as someone with a great affection for runnin

I am in contact with Ed Swales from Hunting Kind. They are trying to put forward the case for 'natural hunting' which means that hunting with dogs (all dogs, as in fox hounds, beagles, harriers, terri

Dont think you will change the mind of the green party full of arrogant mixed up c..ts had a good day yesterday bolting  to the dogs 

Posted Images

On 14/02/2023 at 14:34, nothernlite said:

17266891_Screenshot_20230214-133547_SamsungInternet.jpg.f0db4b18edecb027fdfd5fb18ffeafcf.jpg

Unfortunately that information is incorrect. There is no exemption within the Act which permits the use of dogs below ground in order to control rabbits, any such activities are restricted to foxes only. I've notified the C.A. this evening and they will be amending their guidance notes.

Just for the record, the previous Act (2002) permitted the use of dogs below ground in order to control foxes and mink. When rabbits were introduced into the scope of the Bill the NWTF put forward an amendment suggesting that in the section relating to the use of dogs below ground the references to "foxes and mink" should be replaced with either "foxes, mink and rabbits" or preferably with the term "a wild mammal". In their wisdom the SNP, Green Party and Labour MSPs chose to vote down those amendments and also to remove the references to mink (their argument being that none of the Government Agencies use dogs to control them).

The end result is that mink, which that Government claims to want to eradicate and actually pays people to control, have been granted greater protection under this new legislation. As a result a number of species of already threatened ground nesting birds have been put at even greater risk. And should some other ground dwelling none-native invasive species appear on the scene it will not be possible to control them.

The end result is piece of garbled legislation which threatens the very wildlife it claims to seek to protect - sheer madness !!!

Kindest Regards - Barrie

• Like 5

I am in contact with Ed Swales from Hunting Kind. They are trying to put forward the case for 'natural hunting' which means that hunting with dogs (all dogs, as in fox hounds, beagles, harriers, terriers and lurchers) should be legal.

This is obviously a long and drawn out process with no absolute guarantee of success, but it does seem to be the best option to date. Whether or not this can succeed depends, in part, on getting MPs to admit that the current legislation is flawed, that certain wild mammals need controlling, and that there is also the cultural heritage of hunting to consider, as well as the ethical procurement of meat for the table. 

With regards to the AWL, I am no wiser than anyone else as to whether or not they are still functioning. Whatever happens, I believe it to be essential for those who work lurchers as well as lurcher supporters, to present as a consolidated group/club/organization, much in the same way as the National Working Terrier Federation.

The fact that past efforts to pull the lurcher world together has failed should not deter us from forming a new and strong group. The question is: who will be the ones to unite us?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
20 minutes ago, skycat said:

I am in contact with Ed Swales from Hunting Kind. They are trying to put forward the case for 'natural hunting' which means that hunting with dogs (all dogs, as in fox hounds, beagles, harriers, terriers and lurchers) should be legal.

This is obviously a long and drawn out process with no absolute guarantee of success, but it does seem to be the best option to date. Whether or not this can succeed depends, in part, on getting MPs to admit that the current legislation is flawed, that certain wild mammals need controlling, and that there is also the cultural heritage of hunting to consider, as well as the ethical procurement of meat for the table. 

With regards to the AWL, I am no wiser than anyone else as to whether or not they are still functioning. Whatever happens, I believe it to be essential for those who work lurchers as well as lurcher supporters, to present as a consolidated group/club/organization, much in the same way as the National Working Terrier Federation.

The fact that past efforts to pull the lurcher world together has failed should not deter us from forming a new and strong group. The question is: who will be the ones to unite us?

The problem being is someone to put their head above the rest. And who wants that thankless task. Especially if still actively working dogs. 

• Like 2