WHAT’S THE FUTURE FOR LURCHER WORK ?

At the top of this Section is a thread entitled “Association Of Working Lurcher/longdogs ( Awl )”. It’s pinned to stay at the top so never gets moved and I suspect it rarely ever gets read even when postings are made.

Less than 2 weeks ago (24th January 2023) a Bill was passed in the Scottish Parliament which makes it illegal to chase, catch or kill rabbits with a lurcher (or any other type of dog). That Bill will become Law in April/May of this year.

If ever there was a time and a need for the lurcher world to get itself organised, then it’s right now. There are organisations out there willing to work with you and if necessary advise you, but right now they don’t have anyone to deal with who can speak on your behalf. There’s plenty of help out there, but you have to be prepared to help yourselves first.

We’re around 18 months from a General Election and if current polling figures are anything to go by, we’re likely to be faced with a Labour Government which has already signalled its intention to tighten up the Hunting Act 2004. If you don’t want to see the same sort of legislation in England and Wales that has already been passed in Scotland, then you need to start acting right now.

If you want to know more about the Scottish situation, then I suggest you look at my post on the Terrier Forum on the thread entitled “Scotland”.

Good Luck – Barrie

P.S. I may be a terrier man first and foremost, but I’ve also owned more than my fair share of lurchers, coursing greyhounds and as a child I grew up with 2 rag whippets on my bed. I also attended the initial meeting of the Association of Lurcher Clubs (ALC) when it was first formed under the Chairmanship of Geoff Ogden. My role was to explain what we were already doing on the terrier side and that’s how the A.L.C. got started.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You’re so right Luckee, nothing is lost until you give up trying to fight for it. Unfortunately that appears to be where the lurcher world is right now and as someone with a great affection for runnin

I am in contact with Ed Swales from Hunting Kind. They are trying to put forward the case for 'natural hunting' which means that hunting with dogs (all dogs, as in fox hounds, beagles, harriers, terri

Dont think you will change the mind of the green party full of arrogant mixed up c..ts had a good day yesterday bolting  to the dogs 

Posted Images

Like you say if Labour get in we will be Screwed which gives us about 3 years to make the most of what is left if cons stay then abit more time but the mess they've made I can't see them staying unfortunately.

The writing Is on the wall think we've all known that for a while but the Scottish thing has kinda snuck up on most..

3 hours ago, dodger said:

Like you say if Labour get in we will be Screwed which gives us about 3 years to make the most of what is left if cons stay then abit more time but the mess they've made I can't see them staying unfortunately.

The writing Is on the wall think we've all known that for a while but the Scottish thing has kinda snuck up on most..

Spot on, like alot on this hunting site, been hunting with lurchers a long while, me 35 years, in that time if l am honest, they didn't want you on there ground 40 years ago, and nothing changed. Only now since the Ban with hunting dogs  went though  England /  wales, it got 100% worse to try work a lurcher, the ban made it easy for a farmer or keeper to give a big no to you. I used to go round lot of farmers  asking and even done 8 years beating. But the rife lads always  given the nod from keeper or farmer, they shoot a rabbit, than ferret or lamp with lurcher. Yep it's finished I think with a lurcher, OK you can jump over the fence as they say, like I did for years, if wanted to run me dog, or no point in having  him really. I am 70 now, like my 10 year old lurcher both old buggers, I had my  time in it rough and smooth, many long hard nights lamping, my old dog Buck was bred most for that job. I feel sad for young people today wanting work a lurcher, if they try and stick at it great, but if they think fook it, I don't blame either. ?

• Like 6

It's not over until we quit. IMO We need to start communication with sitting and potential MPs. My approach is dogs are essential for efficient rabbit control with ferrets, arguably the most natural and environmentally friendly way to protect crops from rabbit damage. Just be brief and courteous but also concerned that the Scottish legislation removes an option for low impact pest control. 

Let's see it from the MPs side, chances are they have no idea about ferreting and lurchers or the Scottish bill. They don't want to bring in legislation that has a negative effect unless it's unopposed and at the moment that's probably how it seems

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Reading the thread at the top of the page....I would say,We are f****d,too little...too late?

Dunna say that pal, ive just ordered missen, a stonking lurcher pup, its one of those virtual pets you can order, we just sit there gawping at one another all day

• Haha 4
4 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

It's not over until we quit. IMO We need to start communication with sitting and potential MPs. My approach is dogs are essential for efficient rabbit control with ferrets, arguably the most natural and environmentally friendly way to protect crops from rabbit damage. Just be brief and courteous but also concerned that the Scottish legislation removes an option for low impact pest control. 

Let's see it from the MPs side, chances are they have no idea about ferreting and lurchers or the Scottish bill. They don't want to bring in legislation that has a negative effect unless it's unopposed and at the moment that's probably how it seems

You’re so right Luckee, nothing is lost until you give up trying to fight for it. Unfortunately that appears to be where the lurcher world is right now and as someone with a great affection for running dogs, I find that very sad.

In my view lurcher work (particularly in relation to rabbit control) is one of the easiest forms of hunting with dogs to justify and defend, rabbits are still classed as a “significant agricultural pest”. Yet as from April/May time it will be illegal in Scotland and it’s a loss that was self-inflicted. It’s a simple fact of life that if politicians are only hearing one side of the argument, then they will inevitably make one sided decisions.

I'm reminded of something which I first saw on the Association of Lurcher Club’s stand at a Game Fair many years ago. It said on the front “THE ONLY THING THAT CAN SAVE LURCHER WORK” and when you turned it over on the other side was a mirror. That’s just as true today as it was back then and Scotland is the living proof of that.

Back in the mid/late 1950s, my father had what were reputed to be some of the best “rag whippets” in the country, he spent his 21st birthday in a German Prisoner of War Camp and after his return and recovery ran a small boxing club for all the local kids. One of the things he always drummed into us was “There’s no use getting in the ring unless you want to fight”. It was only when I was much older that I fully understood the meaning of those words. If the terrier world can achieve what they clearly already have, then I’m sure the lurcher world is just as capable of doing it too. But you need to be willing to get into the ring first.

Speaking personally, I’m a 78 year old man who is now well past his best with little to lose. I had a heart attack just over 10 years back that the Surgeon said would have killed 3 out of 4 people and for the past 3 years have also been having an ongoing battle with bladder cancer. But on the plus side I’ve also had the very good fortune to spend my entire life involved with working dogs and grown up surrounded by some of the best and most knowlegable “dog men” you could ever have the privilege to meet. I know just how must richer my life has been as a result and I firmly believe that future generations deserve that opportunity too.  If I can keep climbing back in the ring at my time of life, I’m sure there are plenty of lurcher men and women who are more than capable of doing it too.

J.M.H.O. - Barrie

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3
19 minutes ago, Barrie said:

You’re so right Luckee, nothing is lost until you give up trying to fight for it. Unfortunately that appears to be where the lurcher world is right now and as someone with a great affection for running dogs, I find that very sad.

In my view lurcher work (particularly in relation to rabbit control) is one of the easiest forms of hunting with dogs to justify and defend, rabbits are still classed as a “significant agricultural pest”. Yet as from April/May time it will be illegal in Scotland and it’s a loss that was self-inflicted. It’s a simple fact of life that if politicians are only hearing one side of the argument, then they will inevitably make one sided decisions.

I'm reminded of something which I first saw on the Association of Lurcher Club’s stand at a Game Fair many years ago. It said on the front “THE ONLY THING THAT CAN SAVE LURCHER WORK” and when you turned it over on the other side was a mirror. That’s just as true today as it was back then and Scotland is the living proof of that.

Back in the mid/late 1950s, my father had what were reputed to be some of the best “rag whippets” in the country, he spent his 21st birthday in a German Prisoner of War Camp and after his return and recovery ran a small boxing club for all the local kids. One of the things he always drummed into us was “There’s no use getting in the ring unless you want to fight”. It was only when I was much older that I fully understood the meaning of those words. If the terrier world can achieve what they clearly already have, then I’m sure the lurcher world is just as capable of doing it too. But you need to be willing to get into the ring first.   

Speaking personally, I’m a 78 year old man who is now well past his best with little to lose. I had a heart attack just over 10 years back that the Surgeon said would have killed 3 out of 4 people and for the past 3 years have also been having an ongoing battle with bladder cancer. But on the plus side I’ve also had the very good fortune to spend my entire life involved with working dogs and grown up surrounded by some of the best and most knowlegable “dog men” you could ever have the privilege to meet. I know just how must richer my life has been as a result and I firmly believe that future generations deserve that opportunity too.  If I can keep climbing back in the ring at my time of life, I’m sure there are plenty of others who can do it too.

J.M.H.O. - Barrie

top man barrie 

• Like 2