Evening all,

I'm lucky enough to have first pick from a friends litter. He’s crossed his Saluki dog with his Collie Bull GH bitch. I’ve only seen videos of the litter as he’s based in UK. Few different characters in the litter, some sit reluctant off in the back ground others play among themselves two are incredibly forward one more than the other. 

What key things do you look for when picking a litter? I’ve mostly ran mine on rabbits, reds and some others.

Go stead,

oshea 

5 minutes ago, BEARINATOR said:

Let the pup choose you if you can, but I like a bold pup that ain’t scared to meet new people and will try and investigate any noises you make 

And me, like bold pup. Another thing, get the pup out on its own, without its litter mates there, then you really see how bold it is. If say you only after a male pup, just do the above, this litter sounds not bad x, I like drop of bull in the x. And I like drop of collie as well, not over keen on salukis, but it be watered down any way, they had great stamina, and good feet, but from what people say they can be very aloof, but like say the collie and pit, might put that right. 

• Like 3

I look for quite confident one, not necessarily the one jumping all over you and definitely not one with it's tail between it's legs.  It's a lotto though at end of the day cos even the nervy last picked can make good uns in right hands.

Edited by harryshounds
  • Like 2

What pups are doing never bothers me best dog I ever owned was in a corner and wouldn't come near me or the breeder and that's the truth..

Me I go for build as pups in how they stand  and for speed I go on head shape ..

Build you can see easily just get the breeder to stand them for pics if you can't get to see the litter ..

For speed i look at head shape the sharpest faced are usually the fastest from what I've seen.

Most importantly too is getting them young I don't like anything older than eight weeks preferably six weeks if I can't breed a litter myself .

Sounds a good cross ?

• Like 1

I tend to go for bitches so dogs are eliminated straight away I get all the bitches together first thing I look at is feet i don’t take a shine to long toed pups I eliminate runts or weedy looking pups something I’ve always tryed to pick is dogs bodied looking bitch pups that are built like a dog pup with boxing glove type feet for me setting for any thing less always showed up problems later on down the road all the dog’s body looking bitches ended up decent hunting dogs 

• Like 1

I've never picked the first one forward or the one sat away dint know why I've always picked the second to come forward except the beddy ive got on now the Mrs picked that cos it came straight to her biting her coat. Bless her she thought she was getting a small terrier size dog I might if lied a bit and told her they were 12 week and not 8 ?

• Haha 2
22 hours ago, nothernlite said:

Just what ever catches your eye  simple as 

I liked my pup at birth when Myersbg put the first photo up, I liked her in the following photos & when we went to see the pups she still stood out even though I wouldn't have been disappointed with any of the pups. 

She is now nearly 19 months & I can't fault her. 

So I would say go for the pup that you like & I am sure it will work out fine. 

All the best with your choice. 

7 minutes ago, Chunky11 said:

I liked my pup at birth when Myersbg put the first photo up, I liked her in the following photos & when we went to see the pups she still stood out even though I wouldn't have been disappointed with any of the pups. 

She is now nearly 19 months & I can't fault her. 

So I would say go for the pup that you like & I am sure it will work out fine. 

All the best with your choice. 

Exactly  I picked my we acd bitch at 4 hours old guy said she's got a we smudge on her face that will do for me  and called her smudge lol

2 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Exactly  I picked my we acd bitch at 4 hours old guy said she's got a we smudge on her face that will do for me  and called her smudge lol

Yep, exactly, I chose the red mearl bitch & I can't fault her. If it stands out to you go for it. ?

• Like 1

Your mate not keeping one then?

On 05/02/2023 at 18:35, Oshea said:

Evening all,

I'm lucky enough to have first pick from a friends litter. He’s crossed his Saluki dog with his Collie Bull GH bitch. I’ve only seen videos of the litter as he’s based in UK. Few different characters in the litter, some sit reluctant off in the back ground others play among themselves two are incredibly forward one more than the other. 

What key things do you look for when picking a litter? I’ve mostly ran mine on rabbits, reds and some others.

Go stead,

oshea