Trusting an inexperienced bitch

Day out sorted 

keeper told local farmers with reg etc.

mate blobs  … too much sauce last night.

well I’m on my own so a bit limited … I’m no jcb hero at best but try hard ?

went to a likely spot … no interest at main entrance  but she was blowing down a tiny hole say 10 foot away.

I thought she messing but she wasn’t having it.

picked her up and faced her to mouth of earth and she ran back to her mark.

well I’m on my own so interested took top off …. Just as keeper pulled up.

he was moving feeders ….. no pressure then ?

tiny vixen in tight , looked piss poor condition so did her a favour 

keeper dispatched so one for his tally 

decent morning out … mate was gutted ?

ATB … T

• Like 17

45 minutes ago, Fellman Mark said:

? I could always trust my old Russell’s nose 100%

Young birch not seen a lot but done ok

just 2 yr so too young last season so despite her age still a pup from a work point of view 

her mother was a good bitch so ?

ATB Tony

• Like 4
On 04/02/2023 at 19:26, TonyT said:

that was the point I was trying to make with the post.

ATB T

This happened to me once,years ago walked over a rabbity looking place,in dropped my terrier started,baying away out bolts 2 rabbits then the terrier,I tried to catch it but she shot back down and two minutes later out bolts a fox,since that day I always learned to trust them,but my father once told me if you don’t do nothing wrong then you’ll never learn,anyway good you got a result,wf

• Like 3
18 hours ago, wilbur foxhound said:

This happened to me once,years ago walked over a rabbity looking place,in dropped my terrier started,baying away out bolts 2 rabbits then the terrier,I tried to catch it but she shot back down and two minutes later out bolts a fox,since that day I always learned to trust them,but my father once told me if you don’t do nothing wrong then you’ll never learn,anyway good you got a result,wf

I think it’s as you get older you realise you need to relax more and spend more time listening and learning especially when it comes to dogs, as most are way more clever than we think, I just think of how many dogs I have ruined of parted with over the years that haven’t been given enough time and I am sure lots of lads have had the same, weather they admit it or not is another thing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, whitefeet4190 said:

I think it’s as you get older you realise you need to relax more and spend more time listening and learning especially when it comes to dogs, as most are way more clever than we think, I just think of how many dogs I have ruined of parted with over the years that haven’t been given enough time and I am sure lots of lads have had the same, weather they admit it or not is another thing. 

Spot on

2 hours ago, whitefeet4190 said:

Very very true.

On 04/02/2023 at 16:59, TonyT said:

Day out sorted 

keeper told local farmers with reg etc.

mate blobs  … too much sauce last night.

well I’m on my own so a bit limited … I’m no jcb hero at best but try hard ?

went to a likely spot … no interest at main entrance  but she was blowing down a tiny hole say 10 foot away.

I thought she messing but she wasn’t having it.

picked her up and faced her to mouth of earth and she ran back to her mark.

well I’m on my own so interested took top off …. Just as keeper pulled up.

he was moving feeders ….. no pressure then ?

tiny vixen in tight , looked piss poor condition so did her a favour 

keeper dispatched so one for his tally 

decent morning out … mate was gutted ?

ATB … T

Out of likes tony,go ann the wee bitch?

• 2 weeks later...

Not a young dog but similar experience last week, lakey dog was going daft at the piece of grass trying to rive it out above the holes. Put him down near the holes and he kept bolting back up to the same spot, in the end managed to get him in the hole and away. Sure enough after 10 mins he was up at the spot he was going daft at, sod off and it was a pot lid underneath and there he was with his quarry. Thats one reason i'll never gee a dog on to enter a earth, this dog wont entertain them if nothing home.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2023 at 23:38, jossa said:

Not a young dog but similar experience last week, lakey dog was going daft at the piece of grass trying to rive it out above the holes. Put him down near the holes and he kept bolting back up to the same spot, in the end managed to get him in the hole and away. Sure enough after 10 mins he was up at the spot he was going daft at, sod off and it was a pot lid underneath and there he was with his quarry. Thats one reason i'll never gee a dog on to enter a earth, this dog wont entertain them if nothing home.

Been saying same for years mate .If you can’t trust a terrier at a place ,who the hell can you trust cos we know nothing about scent ,only that it drives the mutts wild .