Dobermans ?

had one attack my dog for a 2nd time now, ok it got a muzzle on it now, 1st time it didn't . it as big as my dog , poss bigger  so it big animal. my dog not dog aggressive  , but the way this fookin was trying  to bite him, it good job as he kill  that twat deff. he been working dog and knows how to use size and teeth  for his job , he dont  want to fight any dog, he just moves a way from them if they try to kick off on him, but like my wife said many times it bloody good job he soft with people and dogs or  be nightmare to take out. dont know nothing about Dobermans , but i think read there gutless where they back up the wall, compared to a well bred gsd or bel mal , or rottie , that off a bloke who trained guard dogs for the RAF ,  and help pick pups for the police . dont know  thatjust what  he said . either way this dog needs a bullet .!

23 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

I like the look of them but wouldn’t own one. 

we’re looking at purchasing a small holding this year so on the look out for a guard dog I’m think German Shepard or maybe a Caucasian shepherd 

Well bred boerbell the ultimate guard dog. 

Not personally mate. I looked into getting one about 5 years ago and I narrowed it down to a breeder in west wales that had dutch blood in their dogs that came direct from South Africa but I can’t remember their name. 

I was gifted a Doberman to replace an old saluki I had lost.

Not adog I would have ever considered owning, but it would have been churlish and disrespectful to refuse it.

Anyhow, I brought it back from the Middle East when I retired, and it started a new career working with the lurchers, and even got a mention in one of Darcy's books !

IMG_0094.JPG.fc8d1a38c79da62702e802ade0469dbd.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG.bff638638619df596b6386f1f6b02923.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG.dba098ad8ef7bb389f7e32045f29f445.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG.d6291d4f021185adb71a804a78eea24f.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG.7ce4015d0568e6c09f991d358a9fa01c.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG.0741c4bc5141d3232b80b60a2580f5a0.JPG

It was dog and people friendly, but a decent guard dog.

My only experience of the breed, but I guess there's good and bad in all breeds .

Cheers.

1 hour ago, socks said:

Not personally mate. I looked into getting one about 5 years ago and I narrowed it down to a breeder in west wales that had dutch blood in their dogs that came direct from South Africa but I can’t remember their name. 

Was the breeder a woman? 

Used to see a couple getting walked around locally. Think the stress of keeping one of those monsters would do me in lol

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, MH1 said:

Was the breeder a woman? 

Used to see a couple getting walked around locally. Think the stress of keeping one of those monsters would do me in lol

I think she was ……..

I knew a lad who had an English mastiff this dog always seemed very docile, anyway one day we were walking down a footpath when another fella we knew come walking towards us with his Doberman as we drew level the mastiff exploded towards the Doberman and almost put all four of them through the fence, what a shock we all got, I remember the mastiff would stand at the doorway of the house and wouldn't let you out, but was never aggressive think that's where they got the name keeper of the thief

7 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

I like the look of them but wouldn’t own one. 

we’re looking at purchasing a small holding this year so on the look out for a guard dog I’m think German Shepard or maybe a Caucasian shepherd 

They'll be loads of decent secondhand Shepherds that people can't handle, if you are prepared to drive and you know what you are looking for.

Seen and been offered lots over the last few years, That's without even looking.

Seen them all, at all ages.

• Like 1