Yesterday afternoon .

Bit late in writing this but here tis .Yesterday afternoon Id cleared my diary as I was going to have a last day flight on the geese .

One of my  blokes had an issue with his van so I was late getting there ?

I say late but I wanted to have a good look round the ground for signs of the otter I’ve got on trail cam after the floods of late .No sign up the little streams but a decent run along the rivers edge .Will reposition cam .

I digress .Got there at 2.30 and walked the river putting a pair of geese up which I managed the pair .One fell in the river never to be picked and the other planed down a field away .Went to find it ,stone dead under a hedge .

Good start but annoyed about the floater ,probably in Bristol by now ☺️.

Back to the hide and got settled in .Pair of mallard dropped in just as I was pouring a coffee .Dropped  the drake as they left the water .

A single goose passed over high ,saw the bird Id set up and dropped in nicely to be killed above my head .Set that up too .Wasn’t long before a proper sheen of 20 odd came in and I had a right and left from it as they passed by to my right .The second bird floundered a bit as they do and I left it knowing it wasn’t going no where .About 15 minutes later I see a fox trotting along the edge of the water towards this goose that had laid still on its back by now .It got to the goose and was a bit wary about tackling it ?

I lip squeaked and I’ve never seen a fox react so positive to it .He skipped across the shallow splash I was set up on and nearly made it to the hide if I’d not shot it at 5 yards .The farmers about to lamb so any removed are a bonus and one less to worry about .

DBEAA5C4-1DFD-4E4D-B1F9-A9768A87FEEA.jpeg.74b1d9f72935839dc1b9d9007e9c8942.jpeg

I pulled it in the hide just in time to hear ducks overhead .Left and right as they dropped in but missed the third going away .Two more drakes .

A nice high crow was next that clattered down behind me .Missed a pair of teal that slipped in unnoticed and I fudged a long shot going away .

A pigeon folded nicely to the semi and missed a high magpie before more geese were heard behind me .Another goose folded dead and another planed down in the field which I walked out to to finish .Dusk was upon me fast ,the very best time for fowl and sure enough as skeen came in low across the field ,obscured until the last minute when they flared as I stood up .Dropped one nicely in the water . A lone drake crossed in front of me as the light went and I dropped him too .Mint finish to this season which hasn’t been my best tbh .

CADC3508-B019-4A5D-933A-C068A1721118.jpeg.158df1dc0a82b5367249563e097637e5.jpeg581A72C6-E3FB-4DD5-955F-90079AC10133.jpeg.f6a324a3c8a2da6d2ade7958163916c1.jpeg581A72C6-E3FB-4DD5-955F-90079AC10133.jpeg.f6a324a3c8a2da6d2ade7958163916c1.jpeg91988CA0-3934-40F1-A9CC-4EF7681D1AB2.jpeg.69bdcad06a78831658e7c049cd842d53.jpeg

• Like 12

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bit late in writing this but here tis .Yesterday afternoon Id cleared my diary as I was going to have a last day flight on the geese . One of my  blokes had an issue with his van so I was late ge

I’ll let him park his car on my driveway and sleep in it, anytime he likes ??

21 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:   You need to get out in the field to experience stuff like that.       One of my NY resolutions is to try to be nicer, especially to simp

Posted Images

Was mint mate .It’s a relatively new gun that I’m not that familiar with but came good tbh .Bloody mandarin ducks all the way along the river and cormorants flighting in huge flocks .Feckings things .

Could of had a hare that trotted by but I’d enough to carry by then ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FOXHUNTER said:

What's the semi mate ?

ATA Turkish made mate .Takes lead ,steel and not fussy about mixing carts in the same chamber .ie bbs ,a 28g and a 32 g .Some semis don’t like the mix but this gun never missed a beat .

Mark ….Aaron’s just given me his semi auto mate as he’s given up shooting in favour of camera work .It’s yours if you want it mate .Couldn’t tell you what make it is as I just put it in the cabinet .All fully signed over to me now .Have to arrange a trip up to you if you want it during goose time as I’ve not shot greylag .Be good to do the 24 hour hunting thing again ……on our Zimmer frames ??

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Proper jealous, would love to experience a day like that. ? 

If you promise not to be gay Ben you could pop down next season for a go at them .There’s 2-300 that use the splash and river down there .Plenty of ducks too .Go for a deer beforehand and a fox at night .Slap up mc Ds and off you trot .

However if you mention gays will be you on the pile too ☺️

• Haha 2
52 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

If you promise not to be gay Ben you could pop down next season for a go at them .There’s 2-300 that use the splash and river down there .Plenty of ducks too .Go for a deer beforehand and a fox at night .Slap up mc Ds and off you trot .

However if you mention gays will be you on the pile too ☺️

Feck gayboy , I need a trip down on a culling session, deer , foxes and geese with my Zimmer frame ???

20 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Mark ….Aaron’s just given me his semi auto mate as he’s given up shooting in favour of camera work .It’s yours if you want it mate .Couldn’t tell you what make it is as I just put it in the cabinet .All fully signed over to me now .Have to arrange a trip up to you if you want it during goose time as I’ve not shot greylag .Be good to do the 24 hour hunting thing again ……on our Zimmer frames ??

Welcome anytime mate ?

1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

If you promise not to be gay Ben

As someone who's fathered 3 kids, shouldn't be a problem. No issue with "mentioning gays" either as I don't make a habit of talking about who someone might or might not fancy. All I do is pick up on discrimination. 

Very kind offer, that'd surprise a few folk, appreciated. Trouble is time. I've got plenty of chances here but just don't have the time. Lovely pond set in our woods that only me & 2 others have permission to shoot. I've been feeding it all winter, seen plenty of duck at dusk dropping in, but just no time to shoot it. The other 2 lads have had some cracking sessions but I'm either working or being daddy. 

Maybe when I retire!!! 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

You need to get out in the field to experience stuff like that.

One of my NY resolutions is to try to be nicer, especially to simple folk, so I'm politely ignoring that. I'd thought you'd started to improve last couple weeks.... 

Edited by BenBhoy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Very kind offer, that'd surprise a few folk, appreciated. 

No it won’t Ben .I’ve invited plenty in the past and made decent mates off here .You may have the view I’m an arsehole with a lot to say .Might be right but I’m a generous arsehole to a fault .

Trouble on here is some folk can give it but can’t take it back unlike yourself mate .We may cross words from time to time but your still here ,havnt blocked me and just give it back which makes me smile .

The invite stands mate if you get the time .Sausage dog however can swivel .??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1