End of season walkabout

I had a couple of hours walkabout this afternoon to try for a final pheasant. I started off straight away bagging a brace of cocks and on going to pick them a woodcock sprung and I took that too , great start.

Knocked over a squirrel and a hen pheasant before spotting a dozen geese about 30 yds off a hedge line so I hatched a plan to stalk them up the opposite side of the hedge. Never expected it to work but I was lucky and bagged one ?

Spent last hour trying to shoot woodies coming in to roost , most difficult shooting I have found and added another bonus squirrel. 

What a great end to the season with a nice mixed bag ?

20230131_151823.jpg

20230131_140837.jpg

20230131_141028.jpg

• Like 5

That looks like a particularly pleasant time. :good:

Years since I've had a woodcock, not many round my way, (either that or I've not looked in the right places)!

Last one I had was in Marlborough and before that Devon!

:(

Forgot to mention I shot 2 woodies with 1 shot . Coming in to roost I shot a bird above me , the only 1 I saw and 2 fell out of the sky.

I love variety, had over the last 3 outings fox, hare, rabbit, squirrel, goose, pheasant, woodcock and woodpigeon using .243 , .17 HMR and shotgun ?

• Like 2