Four yrs ago today !

This happened 4 yrs ago today.....came up on me Google memory.... He was on his way to being my best ever rabbit lamping dog. Half way through only his 3rd season, only starting to hit his prime. Normally an injury like this would have ment PTS but he was my young sons dog and that just wasn't an option. He never fully recovered and it definitely stopped him ever reaching his potential. I actually didn't lamp him for over a yr after the break. He still hunts a bit, day time mooching and an odd nights lamping but it usually means a few days lame after. 

Any one else hang on to a dog with a career ending break?

Screenshot_20230125-184700_1.png

IMG-20221021-WA0016~2.jpg

Edited by harryshounds
  • Like 8

Not personally, but my ex brother in law's whip/grey x beddy, broke a bone in his right front leg and badly damaged some tendons in his right shoulder, when he clipped a stone marker in the ground, after chasing a poxy rabbit on the brow of a short, steep hillock, at 5 years old.

Properly rested him etc for months, then gradually got him back to fitness, and he was still catching plenty of rabbits, and even the odd hare now and again, even at 10 years old.

Surprisingly tough, quick little dog!!  Only 20.5" tts.

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1

Best bitch I owned did her back knee joint at 14 month old she was killing 60/70+ a night so had the money down to get her sorted gave her 6 month off then back up fit and ran just like she did before a bit stiff a couple days after but by far the best I've had even after the injury 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Kalibrgun said:

Best bitch I owned did her back knee joint at 14 month old she was killing 60/70+ a night so had the money down to get her sorted gave her 6 month off then back up fit and ran just like she did before a bit stiff a couple days after but by far the best I've had even after the injury 

Tibial crest fracture, mate?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, harryshounds said:

This happened 4 yrs ago today.....came up on me Google memory.... He was on his way to being my best ever rabbit lamping dog. Half way through only his 3rd season, only starting to hit his prime. Normally an injury like this would have ment PTS but he was my young sons dog and that just wasn't an option. He never fully recovered and it definitely stopped him ever reaching his potential. I actually didn't lamp him for over a yr after the break. He still hunts a bit, day time mooching and an odd nights lamping but it usually means a few days lame after. 

Any one else hang on to a dog with a career ending break?

Ive had several running dogs damage their legs....

One bitch broke her leg , running the deer,...and I had it repaired, at the Royal, College of Veterinary Surgeons.

She was fitted with a Titenium Metal plate and plenty of metal screws,...folk used to joke that she was worth more in scrap, than anything else?

Well, facts were, she was worth a whole lot more to me as a worker, so the £80.00 fee was a bargain. 

I ran her for a couple more seasons , then one night,.pursuing quarry, we attracted the attentions of the enemy,..and their Land Rover,.pretty soon bent that old metal plate, and crippled the leg,... once again...?

This time around, we let the local vet put her mangled limb in a caste..

It healed a tad crooked, but I carried on running her on the rabbits and the Roe....

Wish she had never got injured,..but she did..

Whatever,....life had to go on, and we had a long old career together...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 10

Shattered shoulder luxation , destroyed the ligaments , unable to walk without the ball removing from socket 

£3500 later , ??? 6 months physio of swimming and lead walks killed 3 / 3 in his first day back down near thirsk in the soaking wet . 

broke two toes in the opposite foot on the frost the next season , removed one.

never even slowed down , an absolute headache of a dog came everywhere and hated anyone else who tried to show him affection . Was killed by an adder the year after . Some dog . One of those types who always carried something , Weather it was  a gentian violet stain , sone stitches , or a knocked wrist . Never gave an inch . Never ever turned his head away . I f***ing loved him . Put him down at 4 years old . He was never destined to make old bones . 

what was weird was that he was kennelled with another dog , similarly aged , bred and built , that dog never got over his mate dying . Mental but his attitude changed and he became very intolerant of any other kennel mates .

So in answer , yeah I’ve had a few that have been through the wars . 

kade = ran over , walked away like it was nothing ??

duke = collision in field , dead when I got there 

Lake = adder bite 

fen = went out on his shield at 12 ???

brook = during an op at vets 

cove = kennel fight death

• Like 3
1 minute ago, harryshounds said:

My lads very unfortunate. Been at vet loads, everything from me nephew catching him with a fishing hook out fishing to bad infections from rat bites and cuts. He seems to get infections easily too, can swell badly. But he's honest trier. 

Some always catch the short end mate ??? that’s running dogs for you 

16 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Shattered shoulder luxation , destroyed the ligaments , unable to walk without the ball removing from socket 

£3500 later , ??? 6 months physio of swimming and lead walks killed 3 / 3 in his first day back down near thirsk in the soaking wet . 

broke two toes in the opposite foot on the frost the next season , removed one.

never even slowed down , an absolute headache of a dog came everywhere and hated anyone else who tried to show him affection . Was killed by an adder the year after . Some dog . One of those types who always carried something , Weather it was  a gentian violet stain , sone stitches , or a knocked wrist . Never gave an inch . Never ever turned his head away . I f***ing loved him . Put him down at 4 years old . He was never destined to make old bones . 

what was weird was that he was kennelled with another dog , similarly aged , bred and built , that dog never got over his mate dying . Mental but his attitude changed and he became very intolerant of any other kennel mates .

So in answer , yeah I’ve had a few that have been through the wars . 

kade = ran over , walked away like it was nothing ??

duke = collision in field , dead when I got there 

Lake = adder bite 

fen = went out on his shield at 12 ???

brook = during an op at vets 

cove = kennel fight death

What systems was they with the adder bite ? Did you see the snake bite the dog ? They lots of adders local and once they wake up in spring I keep dogs away from hot spots 

14 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

What systems was they with the adder bite ? Did you see the snake bite the dog ? They lots of adders local and once they wake up in spring I keep dogs away from hot spots 

No I didn’t see it . 

he returned from a run on the lamp where his quarry escaped into a wood and he followed , my buddy said he looks like he’s limping , and got his breath back , he became very agitated and knawing at his foot . We walked on and he became listless , and eventually collapsed . Carried him to the motor , and home where he fitted all the way back so violently I didn’t expect him to live . Straight to vet where he began seizures again and assessment. His leg was elephantine sized by now . A South African vet at the practice resumed his care in the morning and immediately said snake bite. He located two punctures between his toes , and squeezed …what came out was best described as yellow curd it was vile . Immediately the heat and pressure in his leg eased , but it had been pumped round the system , his prognosis was bleak , likely blinded by the seizures , his breathing was painful and he was distressed . Gave him the only justice I could offer him at home . 

absolutely broke me loosing him as he was truly my best all round dog and I don’t think I’ll ever have a dog as in tune with me again.  Another moot point was that he was heartbreakingly handsome , I know that sounds twee, but he was the sort of dog people slow down and look at . I couldn’t take him to lowther show as it was hard work being constantly stopped by people asking to use him to line . 

but as in the original post , he was constantly injured , as he would never ever change the way he was , 100% i am getting to that and nothing will stop me mentality . For that , and all he ever gave , it was morally right to get him the best treatment I could find , like Phil said , I went to the royal vetinary college Edinburgh and paid 3.5k for an operation that had never been carried out before on an athletic canine . It has no guarantees , but I owed him that , it was hard with the physio and he hated being left at home lamping , I had to leave him at a pals if I wanted to go . 

in short , if a dog suffers a bad injury , never just write them off , take a chance , they might surprise you them running hounds 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

No I didn’t see it . 

he returned from a run on the lamp where his quarry escaped into a wood and he followed , my buddy said he looks like he’s limping , and got his breath back , he became very agitated and knawing at his foot . We walked on and he became listless , and eventually collapsed . Carried him to the motor , and home where he fitted all the way back so violently I didn’t expect him to live . Straight to vet where he began seizures again and assessment. His leg was elephantine sized by now . A South African vet at the practice resumed his care in the morning and immediately said snake bite. He located two punctures between his toes , and squeezed …what came out was best described as yellow curd it was vile . Immediately the heat and pressure in his leg eased , but it had been pumped round the system , his prognosis was bleak , likely blinded by the seizures , his breathing was painful and he was distressed . Gave him the only justice I could offer him at home . 

absolutely broke me loosing him as he was truly my best all round dog and I don’t think I’ll ever have a dog as in tune with me again.  Another moot point was that he was heartbreakingly handsome , I know that sounds twee, but he was the sort of dog people slow down and look at . I couldn’t take him to lowther show as it was hard work being constantly stopped by people asking to use him to line . 

but as in the original post , he was constantly injured , as he would never ever change the way he was , 100% i am getting to that and nothing will stop me mentality . For that , and all he ever gave , it was morally right to get him the best treatment I could find , like Phil said , I went to the royal vetinary college Edinburgh and paid 3.5k for an operation that had never been carried out before on an athletic canine . It has no guarantees , but I owed him that , it was hard with the physio and he hated being left at home lamping , I had to leave him at a pals if I wanted to go . 

in short , if a dog suffers a bad injury , never just write them off , take a chance , they might surprise you them running hounds 

I lost my old dog at start of the season,took him out in the morning and he was fine and within couple hours after getting home he was being sick and passing blood ,rushed to vets and bloods ,scan done but found nothing wrong,had to have him pts ,broke my heart and like your ol' dog he was a looker and give anything a run but most of all he was my lad and we had some great times together.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I lost my old dog at start of the season,took him out in the morning and he was fine and within couple hours after getting home he was being sick and passing blood ,rushed to vets and bloods ,scan done but found nothing wrong,had to have him pts ,broke my heart and like your ol' dog he was a looker and give anything a run but most of all he was my lad and we had some great times together.

The dog I had that passed after , I felt zero affinity for for in comparison and was killed by a collision against a gate down the beam . He was bought in as an adult , and wa dead by end of the season . The dog I referenced as going out in his shield , fen , was 12 , a very well bred strong coursing type . He developed a heart condition in his late years , and was restricted to lead walks , which was killing him in the fields unable to chase the other clowns about , one day he was particularly lethargic in coming around , early winter , nice frost on the ground as I walked over the fields at the End of my road . Lo and behold I seen a lovely deep red hare laying clapped half way up the field . I made a fuss of him for 5 mins or so before unclipping him and walking up ti the hare . I’m not ashamed to say I had tears in my eyes as I watched my lad do his thing for the last time , eventually grinding to a halt as his heart gave out .as I got to him , he was just passing , but he died doing what he was meant to be doing , on the ground , with me stroking him . 

some things just have to be done properly 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3