They love chickens

After being housebound for 4 days with a sprained ankle I was desperate to be out last night hobbling about.

Told my mate to come over with thermal and C50 and try a few spots I haven't been to in ages.

Anyway I called a fox in really close to around 30 yds , my mate couldn't find it in scope, fox trotted back to about 50 yds, I stopped it and he missed ?

I hate all this faffing about with thermal and nv , give me the lamp anytime as that fox would have been dead.

Anyway after he went home a bit pissed off I grabbed my rifle and lamp and headed off out again.

I called in a vixen using chicken distress and it was soon bagged with no faffing about . I like it simple and it works for me ?

• Like 1

Maybe change your mate Mark cos there’s nothing simpler than NV .Probably had it magged up too much to start with .

I fell in that trap few nights back after a zero all calibres stint .Yes I know it’s hard to believe i fecked  up but I did .

Left the mag on 15 and could see a fox at 30 m .Realised too late .

• Like 1

Hes not the quickest at target acquisition I would have found it quicker. 

But to be fair it came in behind us and he had to totally change position with the quads .

I was going to buy  a C50 but after last nights debacle I am not going to bother as I dont need one as I proved straight after.

I am thinking about buying a thermal though as it is interesting just spotting what's out there but I will still shoot with lamp and glass scope. Nothing beats the image through the glass of my Swaro ...much better than looking at a digital screen.

Problem is which thermal as I'm very fussy.

I want a clear image of quarry not a white blob ...decisions, decisions?

17 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Still plenty ? knocking about ?

There will always be a few around the sheds mate .He’s not  restocked half the sheds with this bird flu thing so I’ll only see half the numbers I’m guessing ?.

I went there ratting while back for 3 hours and never saw one so hoping one’s checking out sheds by now .Had to despatch two of his sheep Friday morning that had been mauled by a dog or dogs .Wool everywhere and dog prints in a corner where they were found Im surprised he never heard the fuss as the frosty ground was tore up too .Bloody huge things ,woolly faced ewes .Don’t know what breed they are but by feck they are big .410 did the job though .One had its guts on show the other a broken rear leg ,They we’re due to lamb soon too .

The main reason I’m there tonight is them but I’ve a feeling they left with the travellers that camped other side the woods .

• Sad 1
17 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Hes not the quickest at target acquisition I would have found it quicker. 

But to be fair it came in behind us and he had to totally change position with the quads .

I was going to buy  a C50 but after last nights debacle I am not going to bother as I dont need one as I proved straight after.

I am thinking about buying a thermal though as it is interesting just spotting what's out there but I will still shoot with lamp and glass scope. Nothing beats the image through the glass of my Swaro ...much better than looking at a digital screen.

Problem is which thermal as I'm very fussy.

I want a clear image of quarry not a white blob ...decisions, decisions?

You cannot blame the gear when a "mong" is using it, go out with mongs and you will get mong results, simples!

As for thermal, if it is a monocular you want then the best is the Pulsar Helion2 xp 50 pro. If you want biocular type with range finder then the pulsar Merger xp 50 is the one to have. Neither are cheap but are head and shoulders above the rest.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ianm said:

You cannot blame the gear when a "mong" is using it, go out with mongs and you will get mong results, simples!

As for thermal, if it is a monocular you want then the best is the Pulsar Helion2 xp 50 pro. If you want biocular type with range finder then the pulsar Merger xp 50 is the one to have. Neither are cheap but are head and shoulders above the rest.

I know the gear works Ian just decided its not for me. No need for Nv round me as havent seen a lamp shy fox in years.

If I see one it usually gets shot ?