Puppy Play

6 minutes ago, bird said:

Well read your thread on this post, and  the thing comes over to me, is 2 things, 1st the dog age 13 month old, and the breeding. It a long dog, there not going to be that biddable, as other lurchers, the only sight hound that are clever, and will work with you are whippets, what you already got, 2nd it's age, I know you got it at 8 month old, I know this is young, but with say 9 week old pup, you mold him into your mind set, and it by time he. 7 month old, he know your the boss etc. If it was me I stop all playfighting with him, just do lots of training with him. Start with recall in confined  space, with long rope   do this 10- 20  times. Pity you got leg prob, or you could take him out with a bike, for 5 mile, at (riding trot). I used take my big lurcher out with the bike at a good pace, it deff calm him down a bit, but would be up for long night lamping, I slip him on what ever was down the beam big or small , lol. But being honest, I've always liked some herding blood in my lurchers, just as it make them bit more easy to train, but my pit x greys were quite biddable, as well. I don't  work no more like I used to, my old dog 10, he been great lamp dog when he was younger. If get another lurcher   when the old dog gone, even  though only be a pet now, I still try to get a lurcher with not of collie in it, somthing like wheaten xgrey colliex grey, but I go more for a mature dog. Some thing about 5  - 6 year old, but plenty of time yet me old dog   on good condition for his age. ?

Meaning with collie in the x, about a 1/4  that plenty enough,. Hope it works out for you,  ?

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had a couple of people ask me if he's Dave Platts bred but no he's from Mid Wales - Nr Lampeter. He's good.. much better than when i got him.. but yeah he's a bit stubborn sometimes. Dead go

Forums eh? Im just here to read about dogs and pick up a bit of knowledge. I'm out 3 hours a day (3 x 1 hr walks) . This young dog (and ive only ever had bitches) just has so much energy and was

Posted Images

Thanks @birdI've stopped the playfighting as it gives him the excuse to start being too rough with biting and then he maybe thinks he's dominating/getting one over on me. I just wanted to get a bond going with him with being strngers and him being 8 months instead of 3. We've got that now and he has a good fuss now and then and that'll do.

I'm out with him a lot and have just started taking him out with the lamp. A couple of things ive noticed with this dog that i've not seen before that you might have an idea about?

1. If the dog sees a stationary rabbit he stands and waits for it to move before he goes. Or he'll walk very slowly towards it waiting for it to make it's move.

2. He's chased a few rabbits (day and night)but seems reluctant to strike. When he gets to them he just nudges with his nose. It's like he just wants to play with em.

Any ideas? Thanks

1 hour ago, Bowie said:

Thanks @birdI've stopped the playfighting as it gives him the excuse to start being too rough with biting and then he maybe thinks he's dominating/getting one over on me. I just wanted to get a bond going with him with being strngers and him being 8 months instead of 3. We've got that now and he has a good fuss now and then and that'll do.

I'm out with him a lot and have just started taking him out with the lamp. A couple of things ive noticed with this dog that i've not seen before that you might have an idea about?

1. If the dog sees a stationary rabbit he stands and waits for it to move before he goes. Or he'll walk very slowly towards it waiting for it to make it's move.

2. He's chased a few rabbits (day and night)but seems reluctant to strike. When he gets to them he just nudges with his nose. It's like he just wants to play with em.

Any ideas? Thanks

Maybe leave him till next season 

@Black neck In a previous time i'd have been a lot more concerned about it than i am now i'm a bit older in years. I guess some dogs just don't have it in their make-up to be killing machines? I just wondered if anybody else had come across this behaviour with their dogs out of interest. The other few dogs i've owned have been the opposite and especially the whippetts who never needed to be encouraged to chase after owt whether it was stood still or not. It was just Bam!

After advice earlier in the thread i've got access to borrow a couple of ferrets just to bolt rabbits to. I'm still looking to find anywhere that's suitable where they can bolt into open ground for him to chase but haven't found anywhere suitable for him yet. Just thr standard burrows on surrounded by gorse and brambles etc which is ok for the whippets but with him being 29tts he needs a bit of yardage to open up. I do know of somewhere else that would be ok but no permission i'm not able to run away like i could as a younger man and the farmers not a nice guy, hefty, and possibly sexually delinquent lol

I'm just going to keep to the routine cos of how my leg is i'm happy for him to run and knacker himself out more than i am for him being a pot filler to be honest- and unless he gets knackered out he starts getting a bit aggy.

Good news is i've got a date for my operation at the end of March so yeah next season should be much better. Thanks for your reply though i appreciate it. 

21 minutes ago, Bowie said:

@Black neck In a previous time i'd have been a lot more concerned about it than i am now i'm a bit older in years. I guess some dogs just don't have it in their make-up to be killing machines? I just wondered if anybody else had come across this behaviour with their dogs out of interest. The other few dogs i've owned have been the opposite and especially the whippetts who never needed to be encouraged to chase after owt whether it was stood still or not. It was just Bam!

After advice earlier in the thread i've got access to borrow a couple of ferrets just to bolt rabbits to. I'm still looking to find anywhere that's suitable where they can bolt into open ground for him to chase but haven't found anywhere suitable for him yet. Just thr standard burrows on surrounded by gorse and brambles etc which is ok for the whippets but with him being 29tts he needs a bit of yardage to open up. I do know of somewhere else that would be ok but no permission i'm not able to run away like i could as a younger man and the farmers not a nice guy, hefty, and possibly sexually delinquent lol

I'm just going to keep to the routine cos of how my leg is i'm happy for him to run and knacker himself out more than i am for him being a pot filler to be honest- and unless he gets knackered out he starts getting a bit aggy.

Good news is i've got a date for my operation at the end of March so yeah next season should be much better. Thanks for your reply though i appreciate it. 

Abit aggy what he bites your arse ?

@Black neckNo, he just starts being destructive. Chewing furniture, shoes, and stuff like that. Gets really restless pacing about crying and howling. I've not been in this property too long and don't have much of a garden to let him out on here like i had in my last place. I wasn't planning on getting another dog after my old girl died in May aged 13 and the small garden was fine for her at the time- but i ended up with this fella out the blue so it was one of those things, so i'm looking to move again now... but in the mean time i'm taking him out for three one hour walks a day.

5 minutes ago, Bowie said:

@Black neckNo, he just starts being destructive. Chewing furniture, shoes, and stuff like that. Gets really restless pacing about crying and howling. I've not been in this property too long and don't have much of a garden to let him out on here like i had in my last place. I wasn't planning on getting another dog after my old girl died in May aged 13 and the small garden was fine for her at the time- but i ended up with this fella out the blue so it was one of those things, so i'm looking to move again now... but in the mean time i'm taking him out for three one hour walks a day.

All the best wi him lad 

• Like 1

My bedy grey would nudge stuff with her nose when she a pup expecting it to run and she even snaffle rabbits and drop them to run again but once one got away she never made that mistake again ,

My cousin run 2 deerhound lurchers and both didn't catch anything until after 2 year old and I remember he nearly gave the bitch away as he thought she a waste of time but she just needed time to mature and once the lights came on she turned into what he calls the "best "  and that's saying something as he's had some cracking dogs over last 50 Year .

Bigger dogs just take more time to mature and get out puppy stage ,

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Blackmag said:

Bowie when he is mouthing you he wants your attention take him out with other dogs working I personally won't stop play fighting as it adds to the bonding with you only my opinion 

Even my bull hound bitch the mum play bites me to get my attention to play with her, like said it’s part of the bond that develops. Rather have one like that than a skitzy scared type 

• Like 1