Puppy Play

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had a couple of people ask me if he's Dave Platts bred but no he's from Mid Wales - Nr Lampeter. He's good.. much better than when i got him.. but yeah he's a bit stubborn sometimes. Dead go

Forums eh? Im just here to read about dogs and pick up a bit of knowledge. I'm out 3 hours a day (3 x 1 hr walks) . This young dog (and ive only ever had bitches) just has so much energy and was

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Get yourself a ferret and some purse nets,let him get a mouthful of fur,then start leaving the holes open....get you some sport and may save you walking about a little,keep your chin up,atvb ?

That's a brilliant idea. I used to keep ferrets as young man. I also did a bit with a lad i met from off here up nr Hull around 2010 (where i used to live) who i ended up getting the black whippet off. Ive got a cousin who's got a few that she keeps as pets. I'll go and see her and see if she'll let me borrow one. How did i not think of this?

Thanks Daniel

PS just back from the place i thought looked alright i mentioned before. Was only out 50 mins but there was nothing about at all. Love to have a bit of excitement and still waiting for Bunny number 1 but i'm just as into trying to knacker the big bugger out cos when he's had a run or two he leaves us alone a bit in the morning and I can have a couple of cups of coffee before he starts coming up hinting with the stretching before he starts singing to go out in a morning. Honestly, I've never heard such a noise, you should hear him, It's like lurcher karaoke.

He's got me round his little finger dew claw.

Here's a couple of pics i took in in the September when he was 1 year old. He's put an inch on since then now stands at 29tts. He's had a couple of goes at the racing for a bit of fun and did alright. On his own on a timed dash over 100 yds he clocked 7.04 on his first ever go.

Anyways ive taken my own thread off topic now haven't i. Hope its ok? Cheers

squzz.jpg

peak.jpg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Bowie said:

Here's a couple of pics i took in in the September when he was 1 year old. He's put an inch on since then now stands at 29tts. He's had a couple of goes at the racing for a bit of fun and did alright. On his own on a timed dash over 100 yds he clocked 7.04 on his first ever go.

squzz.jpg

peak.jpg

Is that s 45th generation deer grey

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Bowie said:

Forums eh?

Im just here to read about dogs and pick up a bit of knowledge. I'm out 3 hours a day (3 x 1 hr walks) . This young dog (and ive only ever had bitches) just has so much energy and was really destructive when i got him - him destroying the young couples £1500 sofa was the last straw and how i ended up with him. I found that he just needed knackering out and he calmed down a lot. 

I got him in May but in October had a bit of a health issue.. i got a problem with my leg- turns out i have PAD (peripheral artery disease) which is a blocked artery that makes walking bloody murder...but with nobody to help me i just have to grin and bare it.

I'm waiting for a date for an operation now but still doing the same 3 hours a day as he starts letting me know about it if i dont..

i dont have much of a garden to just let him out on and he refuses to poo out there. He starts howling and then starts biting the furniture and reverting back to being destructive .. im on morphine and that helps with the pain a lot.

I got one of those cheapo lamps off ebay for about £30 and have just started taking him out with that.. There just doesnt seem too much about where i am on a night.

I'm lucky If i see 1 or 2 rabbits in an hour, he's had a few runs and he's proper up for it...Cos my leg how it is and me hobbling im letting him run free tho so he's getting a bit too used to just running round free range and so its hit and miss if he sees whatever i manage to beam up. Though ive managed to have him on slip and he's seen a couple of rabbits and belted off after them...  Ive no permission so im limited to public paths through fields... Its not like i can run away from any gamekeepers if i accidentally <cough> strayed somewhere im not meant to be. Plus im nearly 50 and not as fit as i once was.

Most places are a bit hilly but i found somewhere that looks alright which is a bit flatter that im going to have a shine round later but i can only do an hour tops.. and i have to keep stopping a lot cos the pain... i picked Bowie cos ive got different coloured eyes like old David.. but The Crippled Poacher might've been a better screename.

Anyway's thats me.. its good to be here

Welcome back mate ,

I always play with pups and I've had lurchers that love tug and play fight and others that scream soon as you touch them wrong way "saluki type" 

11 hours ago, Bowie said:

squzz.jpg

peak.jpg

Like DC as said get a ferret and few nets ,I've got few nets you can have if you can get a ferret ,I'd give you a hob but I'm in Peterborough,

Is the dog platts bred ? 

Sounds like he's the boss and not you ,you need to set some rules set 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Like DC as said get a ferret and few nets ,I've got few nets you can have if you can get a ferret ,I'd give you a hob but I'm in Peterborough,

Is the dog platts bred ? 

Sounds like he's the boss and not you ,you need to set some rules set 

I've had a couple of people ask me if he's Dave Platts bred but no he's from Mid Wales - Nr Lampeter.

He's good.. much better than when i got him.. but yeah he's a bit stubborn sometimes. Dead good mostly but bloody hell he kicks off in the morning to go out.. but then i know what its like when im busting for the toilet too.

My cousins just messaged me back as i type this..She's got 9 pet ferrets and said i can choose which one i want... got no nets but its just to bolt for the dog and save my legs a bit

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Bowie said:

I've had a couple of people ask me if he's Dave Platts bred but no he's from Mid Wales - Nr Lampeter.

He's good.. much better than when i got him.. but yeah he's a bit stubborn sometimes. Dead good mostly but bloody hell he kicks off in the morning to go out.. but then i know what its like when im busting for the toilet too.

My cousins just messaged me back as i type this..She's got 9 pet ferrets and said i can choose which one i want... got no nets but its just to bolt for the dog and save my legs a bit

My bedy grey stubborn as fcuk ,if she don't want to walk a certain direction she's not moving ? 

When you get a ferret pm me and I'll send you few nets ,hob would be my choice as no Jill jabs ,young etc 

ATB 

On 24/01/2023 at 18:48, Bowie said:

Well read your thread on this post, and  the thing comes over to me, is 2 things, 1st the dog age 13 month old, and the breeding. It a long dog, there not going to be that biddable, as other lurchers, the only sight hound that are clever, and will work with you are whippets, what you already got, 2nd it's age, I know you got it at 8 month old, I know this is young, but with say 9 week old pup, you mold him into your mind set, and it by time he. 7 month old, he know your the boss etc. If it was me I stop all playfighting with him, just do lots of training with him. Start with recall in confined  space, with long rope   do this 10- 20  times. Pity you got leg prob, or you could take him out with a bike, for 5 mile, at (riding trot). I used take my big lurcher out with the bike at a good pace, it deff calm him down a bit, but would be up for long night lamping, I slip him on what ever was down the beam big or small , lol. But being honest, I've always liked some herding blood in my lurchers, just as it make them bit more easy to train, but my pit x greys were quite biddable, as well. I don't  work no more like I used to, my old dog 10, he been great lamp dog when he was younger. If get another lurcher   when the old dog gone, even  though only be a pet now, I still try to get a lurcher with not of collie in it, somthing like wheaten xgrey colliex grey, but I go more for a mature dog. Some thing about 5  - 6 year old, but plenty of time yet me old dog   on good condition for his age. ?

• Like 1