Another Nail...

3 hours ago, paulus said:

I can remember having a female up high when we flushed a pair of partridge, She came down in a stoop killed the first one in mid air then opened up and took the second on the rise, when she landed with the second one the first one was laying a couple of feet away. Last year i sat in the car outside the dentist that is only about a mile from a quarry where i know they nest, There was a flock of racing pigeons doing circuit's Then all of a sudden bang the flock just split in all directions, Female peregrine had taken one.  

I ran a day for peregrine's on the moor. Spent all day trying to get the birds up, the dog on point and a flush all in the right order....one bird sat in a tree and wouldn't come down and one fcked off and landed on a chimney in the middle of Bolton ?. They were a well known club as well. They mumbled something about 'young birds' ?

• Haha 2

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nothing better then out in the country walking with the dogs when things are on your mind helped me threw some bad times ?

Must admit i read posts like Francies posts above and others and while i wholeheartedly agree with the content it amazes me that so few people are actually willing to stand up and address why this is

Lol... Fella no one's giving up. Just it's 2023 I've been defending terrier work at the top in Ireland for over 10 years... I still hunt at least twice a week... But what is happening is a major

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

I ran a day for peregrine's on the moor. Spent all day trying to get the birds up, the dog on point and a flush all in the right order....one bird sat in a tree and wouldn't come down and one fcked off and landed on a chimney in the middle of Bolton ?. They were a well known club as well. They mumbled something about 'young birds' ?

That's the joys of flying BOP. i did a show as a favour for a bloke, nightmare from start to finish, Pere saker took off after a seagull. Harris hawk played up. I swore that day never to do another show. When it all comes together its brilliant but to get to that level takes a hell of a lot of time and commitment. Most will never get there birds to the level of fitness needed to enable it to be on par with its quarry, if you know what i mean, Maybe i am to much of a perfectionist or maybe its ADHD but i can not do something in half measures, I would rather walk away than do that.  

13 minutes ago, paulus said:

That's the joys of flying BOP. i did a show as a favour for a bloke, nightmare from start to finish, Pere saker took off after a seagull. Harris hawk played up. I swore that day never to do another show. When it all comes together its brilliant but to get to that level takes a hell of a lot of time and commitment. Most will never get there birds to the level of fitness needed to enable it to be on par with its quarry, if you know what i mean, Maybe i am to much of a perfectionist or maybe its ADHD but i can not do something in half measures, I would rather walk away than do that.  

If youve got a harris hawk playing up its time to give up???

12 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Ordinary joe bloggs does not give a shit about hunting and if in all it's forms are banned i honestly think its dyeing out on its own nobody in the company i work with are interested in any form of hunting or fishing for that matter where as when i worked at the pit 40 years ago their was a large majority that were into whippet racing pigeon racing fishing rabbiting coursing shooting digging following beagles you name it when you reach a certain age it's a gutter to see how things and society has changed.

Exactly that mate, I'm "only" 46 but am probably in the last generation of people who hunted, fished etc as kids... late 80s through the 90's etc..

Kids of today aren't interested and the 20-30 years olds are in the main the first of they computer generation... 

Bans won't stop those that want to get out, but there dying out naturally.. .. its shit... we've all done our bit, taken the kids, taught them that food ain't just in a plastic wrapper in sainsburies, that pest control is an important part of rural life, caught killed and cooked game and fish etc... 

I know the majority of us have passed on our experiences, but there's less of us than 60 years ago, and there'll be even less in 20 years when we're all but done....

• Like 5
46 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Exactly that mate, I'm "only" 46 but am probably in the last generation of people who hunted, fished etc as kids... late 80s through the 90's etc..

Kids of today aren't interested and the 20-30 years olds are in the main the first of they computer generation... 

Bans won't stop those that want to get out, but there dying out naturally.. .. its shit... we've all done our bit, taken the kids, taught them that food ain't just in a plastic wrapper in sainsburies, that pest control is an important part of rural life, caught killed and cooked game and fish etc... 

I know the majority of us have passed on our experiences, but there's less of us than 60 years ago, and there'll be even less in 20 years when we're all but done....

Kin el, mate, in 20 years you'll still only be 66!!  Lol.

I get what you're saying, and you're right.

My eldest lad is 31, and he's been mad keen on shooting, (air rifles), fishing and lurchers/terriers since I bought him his first air rifle for his tenth birthday.  Still keen on it, but has little time for it, with work etc, and two daughters, 10 and 8.

2nd oldest, 23, was fishing MAD until 14/15.  Goes now maybe 3-4 times a year.

Then we've got our 15 year old, showed a fair bit of interest at about 10 years old, for fishing, was pretty keen on whippets and lurchers for a while, then lost interest in all of it, COMPLETELY!!

And last, but not least, we've got our youngest, who'll be 2 on March 9th. 

Will be doing my utmost to try to get him interested in fieldsports, and from as young an age as is possible.

Edited to add, forgot to say they're all boys.  ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Kin el, mate, in 20 years you'll still only be 66!!  Lol.

I get what you're saying, and you're right.

My eldest lad is 31, and he's been mad keen on shooting, (air rifles), fishing and lurchers/terriers since I bought him his first air rifle for his tenth birthday.  Still keen on it, but has little time for it, with work etc, and two daughters, 10 and 8.

2nd oldest, 23, was fishing MAD until 14/15.  Goes now maybe 3-4 times a year.

Then we've got our 15 year old, showed a fair bit of interest at about 10 years old, for fishing, was pretty keen on whippets and lurchers for a while, then lost interest in all of it, COMPLETELY!!

And last, but not least, we've got our youngest, who'll be 2 on March 9th. 

Will be doing my utmost to try to get him interested in fieldsports, and from as young an age as is possible.

??.... Happy to still be alive at 66 let alone running dogs! Lol

Good on you with the kids mate, exactly the same with my 3, 2 girls and a boy...all of them have ferreted, ran lurchers, fished etc... the girls won't anymore the lad will... but not as passionate as I was at his age, in fact no where near..

• Like 1
11 hours ago, NEWKID said:

I think were you live has a large impact on the younger generation who want to be interested in hunting and other country pursuit's. I often wonder these days is their gangs of young lads in the middle of London who catch the tube to the outskirts with their dogs like some of my old mates from London used to do when they were kids. A few ex mining villages in Rotherham still have a few gangs of young lads with their lurchers and terrier's hats off to them.

• Like 5

I’ve had my lad on shoots for years he was shooting duck , pheasant at 11 years old . We’re off today for a day shooting,he loves the computer but just hope I sow a little place in his head that will see him continue with it.

• Like 3
On 23/01/2023 at 08:59, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

If that’s the case , why aren’t you going down the land anymore ? It’s alright knocking around the local fields but let’s not make out your walking over the black at waterbeach or the twenty road without a care in the world pal 

little pop over bridge today stiff mooch about E420572F-D4B0-4001-A396-FA153892E306.png.8e8893e7ea88a3ae4c729a50a765a2de.png

003F0024-CFCF-4FCA-B298-C47B96CAD68C.png

• Haha 1