4 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

any working terrier worth its salt,will change its working style to suit the quarry,I've always kept bitches,(everyone could kill a fox no problem)Id expect them to stay to what ever they was  shown, wouldn't keep a dog that could only do one thing...I've seen enough bitches half the size of a dog,stay and complete the task when a male has spewed,up and down this country in places you wouldn't drop a free ads special in..

if I was ever to start up again,then a black dog and would be my choice?123984673_20170115_0849382.jpg.c08beb1797fc9b847faf0cdf3bf7b4e9.jpg

Out of likes dan?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

s

Them Jagd terriers were all  the rage over here 5 yrs ago...few lads I know imported them...not a patch on a decent Russell or black dog.. didn't take long before they was crossing them to anythi

And in my view,if every yoke you dig,has never been dug before,your dog has not faced an educated quarry,and so MAY NOT have ever been tested to the limit? Just a different angle to it..

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

My mates dad owns a fishing lake in France and he was saying he as lads in to clear coypu .

I just missed out on working those feckers on the broads here.Went on an invite but the places were worked out .Would of loved to see my stuff steam into those huge rats .

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

I just missed out on working those feckers on the broads here.Went on an invite but the places were worked out .Would of loved to see my stuff steam into those huge rats .

Are they many about in the broads fd an do they reside in burrows or ont top?

On 26/01/2023 at 11:30, levigsp said:

Year ago I used to dig badgers and release them as it was part of the licence I got. I stopped that nonsense after an 18 hour dig. In Poland and Germany they have Badger seasons and all animals are culled, as are raccoon and raccoon dog etc, pelts are worth money as is badger grease etc.

Have you cleared coypu? Just wondering do you dig to them like a fox 

Are they racoons in Europe? 

1 hour ago, Francie, said:

How did they get here foxy an who give the go ahead to clear them out,an why?

They were brought here by fur breeders same as europe, there pelt were worth good money[nutria] They escaped in East Anglia, and caused mayhem digging everywhere in the level and relief channel banks. The Government through Maff at the time wanted them destroying and not only paid for it to be done but supplied traps etc. As for suitable quarry for dogs, well lurchers caught them very easily if they were in the open and terriers bolted them easy and killed them in purse nets. i never saw a terrier hurt by one.

• Like 3

On 28/01/2023 at 14:22, levigsp said:

They were brought here by fur breeders same as europe, there pelt were worth good money[nutria] They escaped in East Anglia, and caused mayhem digging everywhere in the level and relief channel banks. The Government through Maff at the time wanted them destroying and not only paid for it to be done but supplied traps etc. As for suitable quarry for dogs, well lurchers caught them very easily if they were in the open and terriers bolted them easy and killed them in purse nets. i never saw a terrier hurt by one.

Never hunted Copyu, and I wouldn't want to...however, I did place a Half Heeler in the hands of a noted Copyu hunter, who lived in the village of Eye, in Suffolk...

I visited him, and stayed for a few days, hunting, this and that...?

Amazing wee village, in as much as, it seemed that every other house, appeared to own a running dog !

Anyway, my guy sadly lost the lurcher that I gave him whilst out hunting the Copyu..

The young dog was keen for the task, and reputedly a natural finder and dispatcher, of these curious looking rodents

Alas, whilst waiting on a bolt,...he became tangled in river debris, and was drowned...

My man's close pals, all wanted to help him out, and fair play to them, they travelled from Suffolk to Hampshire in the hopes of securing another Heeler hybrid from me as a suprise gift for their old pal...

I felt their pain, and admired their loyalty to a fellow hunter, but had to inform them that , at the time, there were no pups of that breeding available, anywhere in England...

Such a shame, but a working dog's life can be hard, and is often cut cruely short....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4
2 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Wasn't there a lad on here that used to dig Coypu In France?  Went by the name Fish maybe

I think there was EDDIE,always nice to read of peoples experiences that are a little different,any old Coypu hunting pics Levi?

• Like 1
  • levigsp changed the title to s