To build or not to build.

We have a couple of acres in Co. Limerick with road access and permission to build a house on.

Given inflation etc. and the tax implications of renting a house, would you:

Build a bungalow on it and rent it as a holiday let.

Build a bungalow and keep it as a holiday home.

Keep the land as an investment.

Sell the land.

I hang fire mate .Materials are slowly coming down .Labour isn’t but the materials are roughly half the labour on any job over 2 grand .Seems to pan out that way for  me anyway .

The land will never lose money mate so don’t fret .If you’ve accounts at any building merchants ask for a monthly pricing brochure either hard copy or email and it will show a trend in materials up or down .Some planning is need mind and a whole lot of luck based knowledge on the market .Good luck whatever though mate .

• Like 2
6 hours ago, walshie said:

We have a couple of acres in Co. Limerick with road access and permission to build a house on.

Sell the land.

I done quite a lot of  new builds, with the price of gear it’s not a cheap hobby these days, but if you got the land already and did nt have to pay for it with planning in place you are in a good position. But it’s about 1 year depending??? Of hassle and agro if you build unless you got a friend who’s good builder. Planning only is just the start tho, you need building regs drawings, building inspector on board, may well need soil sample sent of for  structural engineers to design foundations could need pilling which is top dollar, then structural for beams inside etc, you may need sap calc for insulation spec, you may have to go solar, with ground source heat pump , local sewage design (mains or treatment plant with environment agency approval )plus more hoops to jump threw before you break ground. I

• Like 3
7 hours ago, walshie said:

Sell the land.

Rent it to me so I can live on it in a caravan ?

• Haha 2

If it would rent as holiday let then I would build and rent. Given enough time you have your build money back and you can still holiday for free..

Plus the land value will have gone up with a new build on it.. I don't see how you can not win..

6 hours ago, smithie said:

If it would rent as holiday let then I would build and rent. Given enough time you have your build money back and you can still holiday for free..

Plus the land value will have gone up with a new build on it.. I don't see how you can not win..

Who in their right mind would want to holiday in limerick ffs 

• Haha 1

The investment on a rental is not great I reckon, the rent and agro you get is peanuts compared the the outlay. Yes the property should go up in value, but if you sell a second property it’s 40% capital gains tax on it. Renting containers ( if you got the area) is the way forward 

• Like 2
On 22/01/2023 at 20:54, Qbgrey said:

The investment on a rental is not great I reckon, the rent and agro you get is peanuts compared the the outlay. Yes the property should go up in value, but if you sell a second property it’s 40% capital gains tax on it. Renting containers ( if you got the area) is the way forward 

Been looking into that £120 a month per container locally 

• Like 2