Tip for hides.

For the past few years my shooting partner who runs the village tip has been able to extract from the skip a number of old trellises usually complete with green staining but why the hell do we want those, well these make brilliant hide frames. One perm we have is a double quarry, one full of trees and the other side is a few trees with large grass areas and this perm is ideal for permanent hides, in fact we have five hides that are used for different quarry and a fresh batch of trellis panels came in today along with a bloody big piece of tank cammo netting plus some normal camo I was given just before Xmas.

We have been doing a bit of thinning out of bushes / brambles to aid our positions for roost shooting for the woodpigeon with the shotty so I feel a building project ready to start in a few days. Must build in a helf for the coffee, cartridges and whatever else.

Phil

• Like 1

Sounds good, best free hides I ever had where upside down potato boxs with a couple of slats booted out of he side of them and left in the hedge. Had 2 contractor's in the pub tell me they found a pigeon decoy stash and told me where they moved them. I said oi they are mine. I went back to collect them and get back into upside down my potatoe box with my aya yoeman lol. Good Times.

• Like 1

Alright Mitch you doubting old bugger, I will take some pics just for you.  I tell you what has worked well for us is our squirrel feeders made from old road sign posts with a tray at the bottom and a pellet tin for a top lid. We have made them to 6' long but 4.5' is more managable as we leave old ladders or steps tied to the trees to fill them which will give upto a weeks supply of feed depending how many sqizzers are feeding.  We also have badgers and deer come to help themselves which is why they are mounted as high as they are in the photos.  I only wish there were the same numbers of squizzers on our perm as Mitch's perm.

IMG_20230111_121359_i49w3qoxVGjj3C2waXS1

IMG_20230111_121348.jpg

IMG_20230111_105054.jpg

A view from the temporary hide looking down on the feeder.

IMG_20230111_112951.jpg

A megre haul compared to Mitch but nevertheless an enjoyable couple of hours.

Phil

• Like 4
11 hours ago, mark williams said:

Just love the road side sign post/ pellet tin idea Phil, simplest ideas are always " the best "  :good:

Compliments , and nice shooting.:yes:

Cheers Mark, we have three more of these out in different spots and they are squirrel proof so no eaten away feeders or regular replacements.

• Like 2
On 23/01/2023 at 07:59, villaman said:

Very good indeed Phil ??
now I believe you at least you have learnt how to put pics up at the the age of 85 well done ?

May your mother and father soon be married........................................................barsteward ?

• Haha 2