Dartmoor / wild camping

Seen that Joe but it has got out of hand with big family tents and big groups trashing the place and groups of camper vans in car parks. Think if it was just solo people in one man tents this would not have happened. 

Mind it is people with money buying up great sways of the moor then trying to keep it all to themselves.

Going to have a job policing it.

Cheers Arry

• Like 6

I agree with that but feel the arse will drop out of the boom staycation a little, which was most likely the reason it got out of hand.

I was more thinking about 10 tors and the people that experience a bit of wilderness in small tents, I agree the giant setups should find camp sites if they're after home comforts.

• Like 1

They call him a farmer but think he runs or ran a hedge fund business. Typical of people make their money in the city then buy up the country side and try to exclude every body.

Cheers Arry

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Arry said:

Seen that Joe but it has got out of hand with big family tents and big groups trashing the place and groups of camper vans in car parks. Think if it was just solo people in one man tents this would not have happened. 

Mind it is people with money buying up great sways of the moor then trying to keep it all to themselves.

Going to have a job policing it.

Cheers Arry

Same situation at Loch Lomond, parrafins trashing the place ruining it for everybody else 

As for wild camping by the hike and pitch set, they will continue as normal 

• Like 4

Think there maybe more to come on this. The true wild camper will still camp there and the owners will go back to the Courts and try and get a ban on access altogether. The thin edge of the wedge as with field sports chip away at the common man.

Cheers Arry

• Like 4

Don't think it matters that he's a hedge fund manager! It's his land! He also runs a shoot and supports fieldsports. People have open access to all his land where numerous people earn a living.....fck giving em a right to camp there as well 

8 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Don't think it matters that he's a hedge fund manager! It's his land! He also runs a shoot and supports fieldsports. People have open access to all his land where numerous people earn a living.....fck giving em a right to camp there as well 

I get what you're saying , guardian of the land etc, but I don't buy it anymore, national parks should be for the people. I dare say where estates employed and housed hundreds of people , and your average garden was big enough to kick a ball about in , it may have been the case , but no more. Most of this county is owned by farmers, what little bits of woodland you can walk your dog in they've decided to stick cattle in them too for 'enviromental reasons' . I would compulsory purchase swathes of land , provide walkways and cycle paths, bridle paths get kids and folk off the lanes and roads. I'm tired of hearing about the super rich and their problems tbh , I think days of tipping your hat and kissing aristocratic arse are over. Kids should be allowed to play in rivers and camps in the hills , instead it's an exclusive club for the rich. Unless you want to be a serv..

• Like 2
On 15/01/2023 at 11:57, micky said:

I  Don't  think it will bother many on here.

Depends where you live mate...

For a few of us who live in Devon and use the moors a fair bit, its not ideal!

• Like 1
On 15/01/2023 at 13:10, Arry said:

Think there maybe more to come on this. The true wild camper will still camp there and the owners will go back to the Courts and try and get a ban on access altogether. The thin edge of the wedge as with field sports chip away at the common man.

Cheers Arry

As much as we all can get sick of the amount of people who descend on the moors in the summer, I mean Spitchwick is ruined for 4 months!...there is still alot of us who use  the moors responsibly, I agree with you first it will be no camping and the next it will be no entrance to walk even... I'm 46 and have been up on the moors since a child, walking, playing in the river, climbing the rocks etc... you are a little older than me and I know you have spent a lifetime up there... be sad for locals if all rights of access on certain areas are removed in time...

• Like 2
On 15/01/2023 at 15:45, Borr said:

I get what you're saying , guardian of the land etc, but I don't buy it anymore, national parks should be for the people. I dare say where estates employed and housed hundreds of people , and your average garden was big enough to kick a ball about in , it may have been the case , but no more. Most of this county is owned by farmers, what little bits of woodland you can walk your dog in they've decided to stick cattle in them too for 'enviromental reasons' . I would compulsory purchase swathes of land , provide walkways and cycle paths, bridle paths get kids and folk off the lanes and roads. I'm tired of hearing about the super rich and their problems tbh , I think days of tipping your hat and kissing aristocratic arse are over. Kids should be allowed to play in rivers and camps in the hills , instead it's an exclusive club for the rich. Unless you want to be a serv..

Agree with that Joe... you love it up the moors...especially the sink holes...??

• Haha 2