Hard day

There are some guys who dig to ferrets here but I really don't know why most don't. Even most terrier people just like to bolt foxes, just a different sport over here. It's a pretty laid back place, or was, so we are happy to take time out.

Edited by Aussie Whip

13 hours ago, Guss33 said:

We have had the old time where we have been held up possibly from the ferret being blocked in by a rabbit as when the ferret does come out you can see it has dug it’s way out.  The longest time that we have been held up is maybe no more then half an hour. I did see one on you tube David white head called bring back the JCB where he brings in a large machine to dig down may be 10 or more feet deep. Lock it up and tell me is it possible or a set up ?

But with all the people I now that ferret none of them use the locators. 

your talking about Simon Whitehead. ..yes he did get the jcb in to get a ferret out...

a few years ago me vin and trigger from this site dug one out around 9 feet...under some big old rocks that took 4 of us to lift out....in the end there was a drop down in to a cavern. ..shone a torch down and 3 foot down at the bottom was the ferret unable to climb out...we lowered a a dead rabbit down in a purse net...and he jumped on it...and nd we fished him out....took several hours did that...

• Like 10
22 hours ago, TOMO said:

your talking about Simon Whitehead. ..yes he did get the jcb in to get a ferret out...

a few years ago me vin and trigger from this site dug one out around 9 feet...under some big old rocks that took 4 of us to lift out....in the end there was a drop down in to a cavern. ..shone a torch down and 3 foot down at the bottom was the ferret unable to climb out...we lowered a a dead rabbit down in a purse net...and he jumped on it...and nd we fished him out....took several hours did that...

I can’t moan when ur digging 9 foot I bet that was graft. I’m suppose to be out this weekend but if this frost carries on the ground will be like bell metal 

On 17/01/2023 at 16:13, Baretta28 said:

I can’t moan when ur digging 9 foot I bet that was graft. I’m suppose to be out this weekend but if this frost carries on the ground will be like bell metal 

On 16/01/2023 at 08:09, Aussie Whip said:

There are some guys who dig to ferrets here but I really don't know why most don't. Even most terrier people just like to bolt foxes, just a different sport over here. It's a pretty laid back place, or was, so we are happy to take time out.

I think some grab the spade to quickly at times ,I've been ferreting with lads who start checking the finder in few minutes of ferret going in ,they got no patient's ,got to give the ferrets time to work and make Coney bolt 

• Like 4
On 15/01/2023 at 10:28, Guss33 said:

Well done , please don’t the one thing I don’t understand is why you guys over the other side of the world seem to be digging so much to get your ferrets back. In Australia we do a lot of ferreting we don’t use locators on the ferrets and we are unable to use the fibreglass rods on our long nets as the ground is extremely hard. We never seem to loos a ferret and they always seem to come out after they have bolted the rabbits out. Yes some times they will hold us up for a bit but for not a long time. Well done on your catch for the day. 

When I was a lad I'd go ferreting with me grandad and unculs and they never dug to ferrets and like you say they never lost a ferret .they worked Jill's mostly but had hobs they drop in if a Jill wasn't coming up 

• Like 1

Had another day out today lads with better ending. I’ve just made a couple quick videos but I’m not the best with technology so don’t expect anything if quality ? also got some photos I’ll post them in here if I can. I ended the day on 28 and missed 3 . Had 17 out of the warren under the Holly bush

79A758E8-6FBC-4B44-B229-9F56A7654562.jpeg

F5373AE7-981F-46F1-88D2-04F2AFD4A0B7.jpeg

B8C82FD5-4C19-4F88-A850-BD981EF83782.jpeg

• Like 6
On 19/01/2023 at 22:00, Moocher71 said:

I think some grab the spade to quickly at times ,I've been ferreting with lads who start checking the finder in few minutes of ferret going in ,they got no patient's ,got to give the ferrets time to work and make Coney bolt 

I do agree to a point. I have a hob that is so quick on the kill that if you give more than 5 minutes he has killed it and just moves on, so I do check he isn’t fixed in a spot after a fairly quick time frame. I have actually barely worked him this year as the rabbits barely get a chance just too strong and fast, don’t want to be digging all day want them bolting to missed by my dog ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 21/01/2023 at 20:02, Baretta28 said:

Had another day out today lads with better ending. I’ve just made a couple quick videos but I’m not the best with technology so don’t expect anything if quality ? also got some photos I’ll post them in here if I can. I ended the day on 28 and missed 3 . Had 17 out of the warren under the Holly bush

79A758E8-6FBC-4B44-B229-9F56A7654562.jpeg

F5373AE7-981F-46F1-88D2-04F2AFD4A0B7.jpeg

B8C82FD5-4C19-4F88-A850-BD981EF83782.jpeg

Thats a good day ,well done ?

• Like 1
On 16/01/2023 at 00:42, TOMO said:

thing is guss you will be leaving rabbits underground....of course thats not necessarily a bad thing.....but the locator defiantly puts more rabbits in the bag...for the most part digging a rabbit out is usually a simple affair....1 0r 2 feet job done.....of course there are places where digging them out is a real chore ....but make no mistake that locator and spade make the bag a lot larger..     

Not in this country you would spend more time digging than ferreting the average dig here is an hour+ so it's not a viable option in most places unfortunatly