Hard day

Well done , please don’t the one thing I don’t understand is why you guys over the other side of the world seem to be digging so much to get your ferrets back. In Australia we do a lot of ferreting we don’t use locators on the ferrets and we are unable to use the fibreglass rods on our long nets as the ground is extremely hard. We never seem to loos a ferret and they always seem to come out after they have bolted the rabbits out. Yes some times they will hold us up for a bit but for not a long time. Well done on your catch for the day. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Guss33 said:

Well done , please don’t the one thing I don’t understand is why you guys over the other side of the world seem to be digging so much to get your ferrets back. In Australia we do a lot of ferreting we don’t use locators on the ferrets and we are unable to use the fibreglass rods on our long nets as the ground is extremely hard. We never seem to loos a ferret and they always seem to come out after they have bolted the rabbits out. Yes some times they will hold us up for a bit but for not a long time. Well done on your catch for the day. 

thing is guss you will be leaving rabbits underground....of course thats not necessarily a bad thing.....but the locator defiantly puts more rabbits in the bag...for the most part digging a rabbit out is usually a simple affair....1 0r 2 feet job done.....of course there are places where digging them out is a real chore ....but make no mistake that locator and spade make the bag a lot larger..     

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In my ferreting which is virtually all hedgerow work, digging is usually a result of work by more experienced Ferrets, most hobs I've had and more aggressive Jill's will need the odd dig to from 2nd year onwards. I do it because we can and it definitely means more rabbits in the bag. Much as I hate the actual digging because roots etc make it tough, I really like the relationship between me and ferrets that will stay when being dug to. They back off when you break through, then look up and move to where the rabbit is. If it's only one backed up then once that's out they then shin up the hole you dug ?

PXL_20221230_130857549.jpg

• Like 8

The only thing I can think of is that we have stop ends. Not sure if that makes sense but when a ferret backs a rabbit into a dead end then he/she will stay there. It may or may not be very far from the surface but will not move hence the dig. If the ground is particularly hard which is obviously the case with you guys, there may not be stop ends per se. I once had some guys over from Germany doing a film documentary about British country sports. I was able, on film, to locate a ferret and punched a hole through the earth exactly to where a rabbit was stop ended with my ferret on its arse. Voila, one rabbit. Jok.

• Like 1

Was the hardest day in a lot of years, most of my permission is hedgerows so the digging can be a nightmare.

The weather was not the best raining and windy as hell the land was also full of water so maybe not the best conditions to start with.

I was even digging to my small Jill’s there no bigger than rat ?? 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Baretta28 said:

Was the hardest day in a lot of years, most of my permission is hedgerows so the digging can be a nightmare.

The weather was not the best raining and windy as hell the land was also full of water so maybe not the best conditions to start with.

I was even digging to my small Jill’s there no bigger than rat ?? 

Out of interest , What sort of weight are your small Jill’s mate ? 

We have had the old time where we have been held up possibly from the ferret being blocked in by a rabbit as when the ferret does come out you can see it has dug it’s way out.  The longest time that we have been held up is maybe no more then half an hour. I did see one on you tube David white head called bring back the JCB where he brings in a large machine to dig down may be 10 or more feet deep. Lock it up and tell me is it possible or a set up ?

But with all the people I now that ferret none of them use the locators. 

Rabbits  in Oz  are from our stock so it stands to reason they will act the same as ours so they will get killed  bellow ground as they do here and as for digging them out those old Abbo  birds  just grab a stick and dig a 3 foot  hole and pull a Turnip or something  and eat it .  the real reason they don't dig is cuz them Ozzy blokes are Puffters and they have Puffter Ferrets?

micks pics 256.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3