Dawn chorus

Living on the boat I notice little changes that I never when I lived in a house and this week it’s the return of the dawn chorus, only one or two at the start of the week but each day getting a bit more noisy when I take the dogs for there morning stroll must be those extra few minutes of daylight we are getting each week that triggers it ???

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Living on the boat I notice little changes that I never when I lived in a house and this week it’s the return of the dawn chorus, only one or two at the start of the week but each day getting a bit mo

I wouldn't know mate. I don't get up until I hear the kids have fcked off to school ?

We live in a valley with a nature reserve on one side. It's a very diverse landscape with scrub, hedges, woodland, pasture and plenty of water. I get through over 160kg of bird food  per year. Wh

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Living on the boat I notice little changes that I never when I lived in a house and this week it’s the return of the dawn chorus, only one or two at the start of the week but each day getting a bit more noisy when I take the dogs for there morning stroll must be those extra few minutes of daylight we are getting each week that triggers it ???

I wouldn't know mate. I don't get up until I hear the kids have fcked off to school ?

• Haha 7
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

The length of daylight is part of what triggers the natural cycle of life in most living things, Quick example, ferrets will come into season as a general rule when day and night are roughly 12 each. 

We live in a valley with a nature reserve on one side. It's a very diverse landscape with scrub, hedges, woodland, pasture and plenty of water. I get through over 160kg of bird food  per year.

When we have friends stay and they're staying outside. I tell them that they should go to bed because the birds will wake you up, they tell me to sshhhh. I get up in the morning and go see them around 9am and they've been up for 5 hours, after a couple of hours kip and mostly drinking before bed. The dawn chorus is proper loud when your in a tent ? fecking townies. 

• Haha 6
21 hours ago, paulus said:

soon the bloody barn owls will start here and by Christ do they make a racket, 

Owls here most nights, barn and tawny some nights they are hooting by the time I get back from work at half five and still going when I walk the dogs in the morning around 7, I do have an owl call and some nights can get them really competing ??

20 hours ago, leegreen said:

Same here. For the first few nights they drive the dogs mad.

2458D323-E8C0-483F-8CE8-918C799131AF.jpeg

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, dytkos said:

Blackbirds start outside my office at about 04:00am, robin can be going all night ? 

Cheers, D.

They’re Singing like mad by the time I’m out at 4.30 am with the dogs ,crows usually kick off about 6 drowning everything out 

21 hours ago, paulus said:

soon the bloody barn owls will start here and by Christ do they make a racket, 

You want to hear the barn and tawny owls in here, it sounded like half the Northumbrian population were here the other night, the tawnys start going off about midday             

• Like 2