Cheveral Goldfinch

3 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Thats it mate yes he bought the little one in the Springtime car park for his daughter but i dont think it worked out......the Chinese looking chap is a lovely fella,Covid hit him hard and came close to closing down but seems to be slowly coming good again .......do you remember the Turkish fella used to buy and sell the animals in Jollyes just behind the bird place we're talking about ?.......right slippery old f****r he was ?

That’s right knew there was two shops the one in springtime used to have the talking minor bird in there used to swear and all sorts ?

was the jolleys fella the one who done a bit behind the door for importing a tiger or something like that ? might of just been a rumour but who knows ? 

that Chinese fella who’s there at the moment sold me a lovely Siberian goldfinch while back sung all day a bit to much to be fair. I hung it out one day out the back and the bottom tray fell off I just stood there and watched it fly away a bit gutted but also fascinating watching it fly away. ?

also had a mule off him lost one of it legs and still survived to be around 11 years old he was amazed how long it lived for. I often miss the birds but the mrs won’t have it any more says I need to have it outdoors if I want it ??????

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What an interesting little thread, love being outdoors love my British wildlife, but always thought a goldie was a goldie, and now I,ve learnt something else nice one lads ??

I'm hopefully working towards breeding proper pied goldies,plenty of lads are breeding them now but they want ridiculous money for them which I can't afford. I have bred more marked mules than in

Pea throat

Posted Images

Going to build a small outdoor aviary in the next couple of years, it'll have a nice flight with a few canaries, goldfinches. 

Bit of a tribute to my ole fella who would of had anything up to 60 at a time, canaries goldfinches bullfinches and mules, must be 20 years from some piece of shit let himself in to the aviary and killed a load and let the rest out, he got a few of the released back but it broke his heart and he packed it in. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, gnipper said:

I think its 100 -120 for goldies up here but you need to be careful they are rung properly etc. Bullies I couldn't say,probably 180 -200? Stafford sale is on in March you'll find summat there.

My workmate used to keep birds and he tells me that at some of the shows and sales that he went to some of the British birds had rings the size of his wedding ring on! ??

• Haha 2
50 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

My workmate used to keep birds and he tells me that at some of the shows and sales that he went to some of the British birds had rings the size of his wedding ring on! ??

Funny that I have heard the term marrying them when wild caught birds have had rings put on then sold as captive bred. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Bakerboy said:

No fckn way he took them lol

2 hours ago, steve66 said:

Hate  to say it but he is actually getting quite good ?

Even had Canon showcase one on there website ? More luck than judgement, i must admit. 

bluetit.jpg

15 hours ago, lurcherman 887 said:

That’s right knew there was two shops the one in springtime used to have the talking minor bird in there used to swear and all sorts ?

was the jolleys fella the one who done a bit behind the door for importing a tiger or something like that ? might of just been a rumour but who knows ? 

that Chinese fella who’s there at the moment sold me a lovely Siberian goldfinch while back sung all day a bit to much to be fair. I hung it out one day out the back and the bottom tray fell off I just stood there and watched it fly away a bit gutted but also fascinating watching it fly away. ?

also had a mule off him lost one of it legs and still survived to be around 11 years old he was amazed how long it lived for. I often miss the birds but the mrs won’t have it any more says I need to have it outdoors if I want it ??????

Not sure about that the Jollyes fella was a bit of a rascal but i never booked him as a Tiger King but who knows its possible i suppose ?.....get yourself a little aviary up in the garden mate i keep saying i'll get some birds again i miss all that caper.

• Like 1

The first goldie I ever saw was in a pet shop when I was a kid in the fifties. There used to be a place called Tib Street in Manchester. For some reason it had 3 pet shops all selling animals and birds. If you looked in the windows there were mongrel pups, kittens, tortoises rabbits guinea pigs. It was a mecca for me. One of the shops would let us kids in and look around. He always had budgies, ferrets,rats, mice pigeons, anything that moved really. The stench was overpowering, I could only hack it for a minute or two. But  one day above the stench was this little cock goldie singing his heart out.

Near Tib St was a place called Shrewdhill. It was like a market and gathering place on a Saturday. There was always a bloke there selling mice. He used to put them in his mouth as a sales tactic. Other blokes would be selling pigeons or rabbits or chickens. There were always religious nuts pissing people off screaming passages from the scriptures.  It was a good place to half-inch apples, pears and bananas from the stalls. A group of us would cause a disturbance whilst our top thief would fill his pockets. We would then share what we had a  bite at a time. Anybody taking too big a bite would cause all sorts of arguments.

On the way home we passed a slaughter house. We used to go in to watch and to ask for horns from the cattle.

There used to be one worker who would flick blood at us from his knife. He would burn the pigs on their snouts just to make them squeal .Ive never touched pork since. The sound of them squealing and the fear in their eyes put me off pork for life . I'v e never been a great meat eater since, although I like venison  and rabbit

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, paulus said:

Watch the Birdie ?

141 (3).png

Excellent photo that mate, quite a few wild goldies here and loads of the European ones but hard to get a good look at them unless around the aviary when I had the birds in. Loads of bullfinches as well but I think goldies are the best looking 

6 minutes ago, BEARINATOR said:

Excellent photo that mate, quite a few wild goldies here and loads of the European ones but hard to get a good look at them unless around the aviary when I had the birds in. Loads of bullfinches as well but I think goldies are the best looking 

185 (3).jpg

110.png

157.png