Cheveral Goldfinch

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What an interesting little thread, love being outdoors love my British wildlife, but always thought a goldie was a goldie, and now I,ve learnt something else nice one lads ??

I'm hopefully working towards breeding proper pied goldies,plenty of lads are breeding them now but they want ridiculous money for them which I can't afford. I have bred more marked mules than in

Pea throat

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

Just the bit below the beak? It's like spot the difference.??

The wider that white gap under the beak becomes the more desirable the bird is, or so i am led to believe.

I was always led to believe it was red beyond the eye was a cock bird with natives....theres a chap on the aviary section who knows his stuff Bangers & Mash or something his username is.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

I was always led to believe it was red beyond the eye was a cock bird with natives....theres a chap on the aviary section who knows his stuff Bangers & Mash or something his username is.

You get cock birds with poor blazes and hens with good blazes justbto throw a spanner in the works,I find the black hairs around the beak a better indicator. 

Cheverals have a white line through the mask completely under the chin and if it doesn't go all the way through its a pea throat. Both are indicators of being a pied bird and "could" increase your chances of breeding pied or clear mules.

Edited by gnipper
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, gnipper said:

You get cock birds with poor blazes and hens with good blazes justbto throw a spanner in the works,I find the black hairs around the beak a better indicator. 

Cheverals have a white line through the mask completely under the chin and if it doesn't go all the way through its a pea throat. Both are indicators of being a pied bird and "could" increase your chances of breeding pied or clear mules.

And is it something to do with brown feathers under the armpits or something......wouldnt mind having a bash at breeding them a chap close to me has tried a few times with no success would you let me know if you have any excess for sale please mate come May/June...

2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

a character is bangers ? 

35 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

And is it something to do with brown feathers under the armpits or something......wouldnt mind having a bash at breeding them a chap close to me has tried a few times with no success would you let me know if you have any excess for sale please mate come May/June...

Its the top of the shoulder not the armpit but that can be hard with young birds too.

I could have sorted you out before Christmas but I won't have any now till autumn 

Edited by gnipper
  • Like 4