Grass Snakes

On 04/01/2023 at 18:54, Daniel cain said:

same thing they do for surveys ,before granting planning etc?

Cost a whole heap of money, clearing sites of reptiles. You have to be clear for about a week before works are allowed to commence.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't see many Grass snakes any more. Last one I saw was when I was mullet fishing up the river and one came swimming by. But Slow worms I have a heathy population in a old compost heap that I do

Little bugger made me jump when it popped out of a crack I was repairing few months back.

few places by me you are garenteed to find a few if you have a look about?

Posted Images

• 7 months later...

I see a slow worm almost every morning. It comes out from the leaf litter around the copper beech in my back garden and basks in the sun at roughly the same time that I'm feeding the dogs. 

Lots of adders and quite a few grass snakes near where I live too. Several of the adders are black adders too.

A few years ago I was walking the dogs in the local forest near Rowlands Castle and noticed a snake out of the corner of my eye. Something about it seemed odd but I couldn't think why. I walked over to take a closer look but it became aware of me and slithered off. I initially presumed it was an adder but it didn't have the diamond pattern on the back. When I thought about why I'd assumed it was an adder I realized it was because it didn't have the yellow collar of a grass snake. The whole thing left me a tad bemused, assuming I must have been mistaken. Then, later that year, I heard that a subspecies of grass snake had been discovered in the UK which was identical apart from the lack of the yellow collar.

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Isn't there a couple of other species of snakes down south? Aesculapian or something like that one of them?

Yup,in London,I am going to look for them next summer,just been out and saw a garter snake swimming across a lake.

• Like 1

There was a 3ft odd grass snake swimming in the lake i was fishing last week. When we were kids in the summer holidays we use to go to a place called the roach pond, It was 2 ponds connected by an island. One end use to dry out, This place was full of grass snakes, we use to catch them and spend the next week or so stinking of the musk they secrete out as a defence Lol.

1 minute ago, mackem said:

Thousands of them here,I have seen a few other species but they don’t hang around.

3ED82B54-77E4-4B16-87A9-96C60C437DA4.jpeg

B877858D-E2E1-4B61-8F24-FFF9169D44CB.jpeg

8526A7E3-090B-499C-ACCB-34A65A37D75A.jpeg

F4BBC20B-55A4-430B-95A2-342EAF92CDA1.jpeg

The usual rule with snakes is, You don't bother them and they wont bother you.