Grass Snakes

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't see many Grass snakes any more. Last one I saw was when I was mullet fishing up the river and one came swimming by. But Slow worms I have a heathy population in a old compost heap that I do

Little bugger made me jump when it popped out of a crack I was repairing few months back.

few places by me you are garenteed to find a few if you have a look about?

Posted Images

On the ranges in Germany before we could put fuel tanks in we had to create a bund wall of soil then lay a big sheet of grey rubber sheeting in to stop any fuel spills from the tanks going into the soil. Every morning when the sun got up there was frogs, toads, snakes and all manor of other creatures laying on the sheeting warming up in the sunlight. i had the bright idea of freezing a few to see what happened, So a couple of frogs in a tin bucket and down to the Liquid Oxygen tank, Close the vent valve, open the pressure raising valve, when the gauge got to about half way, close the pressure raising valve, Put the bucket under the vent valve and open it, Worked a treat just like porcelain figures, that is until they defrosted, just turned to a pile of mush, mind with custard powder and water i could produce good ice cream the same way, 

3 minutes ago, paulus said:

On the ranges in Germany before we could put fuel tanks in we had to create a bund wall of soil then lay a big sheet of grey rubber sheeting in to stop any fuel spills from the tanks going into the soil. Every morning when the sun got up there was frogs, toads, snakes and all manor of other creatures laying on the sheeting warming up in the sunlight. i had the bright idea of freezing a few to see what happened, So a couple of frogs in a tin bucket and down to the Liquid Oxygen tank, Close the vent valve, open the pressure raising valve, when the gauge got to about half way, close the pressure raising valve, Put the bucket under the vent valve and open it, Worked a treat just like porcelain figures, that is until they defrosted, just turned to a pile of mush, mind with custard powder and water i could produce good ice cream the same way, 

What a idea ? wicked f****r ?

1 minute ago, DIDO.1 said:

Once picked one up out hunting that had been stood on by a new forest pony. I was going to get it stuffed but it didn't half start stinking quickly 

comes out of a gland, looks a bit like cuckoo spit but by hell does it smell musty. 

On 04/01/2023 at 19:44, Daniel cain said:

old roses tin and used to feed them ants and their eggs when we was kids?

Same here mate, had a few slow worms as a kid, and always fed on ants eggs... still can't resist turning over any old sheeting when walking about searching for them... not a snake but a legless lizard... always confused me a bit that lol

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Same here mate, had a few slow worms as a kid, and always fed on ants eggs... still can't resist turning over any old sheeting when walking about searching for them... not a snake but a legless lizard... always confused me a bit that lol

Part of any walk is turning over sheeting or logs.

I've found sloworms in the very North of Scotland. You would think it too cold, but its a haven for amphibians. They have access to abundant food sources and next to no pollution. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Councilestatekid said:

Saw my first grass snake only 3 years ago and first adder last year it swam past my swim mate shit himself said he couldn't sleep haha hates snakes and rats refuses to go fish anywhere he's heard its bad for rats 

Tell him, your never more than 3ft from a rat.