New football thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

West Ham fans in town all day and not a murmur until wives/families get attacked by " ultras " at the game itself.....embarrassing !! There was a handful of chaps on each stairwell stopping them

My Mrs is like west ham , kicking off every five minutes 🤣

Lived in the same street as Beardsley when we were younger. He always was a mile ahead of the rest in skill as a kid. I saw him in a Marie Currie hospice a couple of years ago, he was handing out

Posted Images

15 hours ago, eastcoast said:

Anyway, for the 1st time in almost 3 years I have been able to accept an invitation to St. James' for tomorrow's game. In the posh seats so, win, lose or draw at least I will have been well fed and watered. Like a kid before Christmas ? 

Hope you get the win mate 

Get in there my mighty Hammers 6 nil aggregate score against the Bubbles see's us into the quarter finals.

I keep getting asked would you rather stay in the premier league or win the Europa Conference.....well bollocks to finances and bollocks to being sensible we havent won a trophy in over 40 years im going with winning the cup all day long even if it does mean away days at Preston and Blackpool next season.........the real issue could be that we go down and Millwall go up to the Premier League now that really would be a problem !.......but come on you Irons lets get this thing won.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2
On 12/03/2023 at 21:02, eastcoast said:

Cracking day, and not a bad game.

Image.jpeg

Image (1).jpeg

Image (2).jpeg

Image (3).jpeg

Must admit ive always really liked that ground the way it stands proud looking over the city i remember when Wembley was being rebuilt and the England games were all round the country going to watch them there and we was sat in the very highest few rows of seats in the ground....proper nose bleed time......impressive ground and atmosphere when its rocking though fair play.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Must admit ive always really liked that ground the way it stands proud looking over the city i remember when Wembley was being rebuilt and the England games were all round the country going to watch them there and we was sat in the very highest few rows of seats in the ground....proper nose bleed time......impressive ground and atmosphere when its rocking though fair play.

I can only recall 1 England game being played there (I could well be wrong) and I was there. Went with my brother in law who is staunch Sunderland. Gave him some stick that he has to come to St. James' to watch an England match. Forget who we played but Robbie Fowler scored.

34 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I can only recall 1 England game being played there (I could well be wrong) and I was there. Went with my brother in law who is staunch Sunderland. Gave him some stick that he has to come to St. James' to watch an England match. Forget who we played but Robbie Fowler scored.

In that time frame im on about roughly 2001 - 2005 there was at least 3 or 4 England games played at Newcastle mate....i followed England religiously at the time and can clearly remember beating the Ukrainians 3 nil there on a sweltering summers day.....the same year or a year before we beat the Albanians in a world cup qualifier there....couple of others i cant quite recall now....it was a fun time following England at places like Old Trafford,Anfield,St.James etc

Edited by gnasher16
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

You would have been up here, Gnash, highest point in the stadium;

FullSizeRender.jpg.b4fcb1f0c484d0eb6257a63f03d49bfd.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg.d76c61f7cc55d2b62f1f34d94d3fc08a.jpg

I remember watching Newcastle play Coventry in a cup game years ago.

The only seat I could get was third row from the very top, I could make out the black and white shirts from the blue, but not the individual players ! LOL !

My mate asked what the green light he could see in the distance was, ( light on top of the Civic Centre), I told him we were that high up, it was probably London !

Cheers.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

You would have been up here, Gnash, highest point in the stadium;

FullSizeRender.jpg.b4fcb1f0c484d0eb6257a63f03d49bfd.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg.d76c61f7cc55d2b62f1f34d94d3fc08a.jpg

I remember watching Newcastle play Coventry in a cup game years ago.

The only seat I could get was third row from the very top, I could make out the black and white shirts from the blue, but not the individual players ! LOL !

My mate asked what the green light he could see in the distance was, ( light on top of the Civic Centre), I told him we were that high up, it was probably London !

Cheers.

Im presuming that would be the Jackie Milburn stand ?....i know as an away fan its the Leazes stand normally stuck away right in the corner there but those England games we was the home side of course and i remember being with a pal of mine who has a building firm and him banging on about the roof being the biggest cantilever structure in Europe,whether it still is i have no idea.....but again,impressive gaff thats for sure.

• Like 1

Ashley sold of Strawberry Terrace, a street outside the ground, just before he sold up completely.

The new owners have bought it back, with a view to extending the capacity to 62000.

Im in two minds about it, yes the extra capacity is needed, but will it mean the end of the Strawberry pub ? 

Being a city centre ground brings huge problems fo expansion. One side of the ground is parallel to Leazes Terrace, a grade two listed street and they have allways resisted being overshadowed by the ground, that's why it's so " lopsided".

Cheers.

• Like 1