9 hours ago, stop.end said:

Bang on..I'd rather walk away for an hour if I thought a pup was messing than dig him... Come back after an hour he still there and result...some questions answered surly?

Bit extreme but I get the thought process .Do you peep from behind a tree to make sure he’s not popping out for a breather ?

• Haha 3

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree with first sentence but totally disagree with second? I’ve dug to seasoned dogs with various animals in ground including rabbits and ducks! Telling a young man to PTS a young keen pup because a

I said "once you've dug a terrier to a rabbit" big difference from a rabbit bolting from a random hole. I've kept working terriers for 39 years, if anyone's known for giving a terrier a chance I'd lik

Are you encouraging the bitch mate .I know you state you havnt but even pointing to a hole is encouragement in my eyes .My terriers only ever looked at me looking at a hole to find it .Don’t encourage

Posted Images

I was out with a keeper and some other lads and i was sort of pressured to try my terrier in a rabbity place, i knew it was risky as she was a young dog and had been used as a busher and general all rounder as such.I dug her to a rabbit only shallow but a rabbit all the same, she went on to bolt two foxes and was dug to another one that day. She was young and like i say a general all rounder but she never ever made the same mistake again and wouldn't enter a rabbit burrow again even when worked along side ferrets,glad i didn't give up on her as she turned into the best terrier iv'e ever had and one mistake over 11 years of all sorts of work i can live with quite happily myself..

• Like 2

I had a bitch years ago first few times I took her out she'd go to ground and started baying straight away, before I had her she'd only been to ground in occupied earths, took a few weeks before she sussed out not every hole held game, went on to be the best bitch I've ever owned 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, fireman said:

I was out with a keeper and some other lads and i was sort of pressured to try my terrier in a rabbity place, i knew it was risky as she was a young dog and had been used as a busher and general all rounder as such.I dug her to a rabbit only shallow but a rabbit all the same, she went on to bolt two foxes and was dug to another one that day. She was young and like i say a general all rounder but she never ever made the same mistake again and wouldn't enter a rabbit burrow again even when worked along side ferrets,glad i didn't give up on her as she turned into the best terrier iv'e ever had and one mistake over 11 years of all sorts of work i can live with quite happily myself..

You were either very lucky Steve or you were fortunate enough to have enough game around that she didn't get bored checking empty places

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dillydog said:

You were either very lucky Steve or you were fortunate enough to have enough game around that she didn't get bored checking empty places

Like i said bud i used her for all sorts and at the time she was under 2 years old, it also had me "on her" when she was around a rabbit hole and she could  have a sniff around one but stick more than a nose in and i was on her and she soon learnt when to and when not to mess with rabbits...I was lucky with that old plummer mate that i know and we both were fortunate i had the time to do lots with her so she never got bored at her tasks...:victory:..

• Like 1
On 27/12/2022 at 18:13, Corkman said:

Agree with first sentence but totally disagree with second? I’ve dug to seasoned dogs with various animals in ground including rabbits and ducks! Telling a young man to PTS a young keen pup because a rabbit bolted out of a hole near where she was at wouldn’t be my advice. Keep bringing her to good active holes putting proper game in front of her. Never encourage her to go as it sounds like she certainly doesn’t need it… nice and calm around holes. The more she works the more she “should” settle. If she is to be a clown that trend will show itself over time. Then it’s up to you to see what standards you want to achieve with the dogs you feed. 

Ducks?

• Oshea changed the title to /