• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree with first sentence but totally disagree with second? I’ve dug to seasoned dogs with various animals in ground including rabbits and ducks! Telling a young man to PTS a young keen pup because a

I said "once you've dug a terrier to a rabbit" big difference from a rabbit bolting from a random hole. I've kept working terriers for 39 years, if anyone's known for giving a terrier a chance I'd lik

Are you encouraging the bitch mate .I know you state you havnt but even pointing to a hole is encouragement in my eyes .My terriers only ever looked at me looking at a hole to find it .Don’t encourage

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

what's the history of the bitch?did you aquire it from a hound pack?

Given from a friend of a friend, nice little bitch. I had her at six/seven months with little work out into her at this stage can’t comment too much on who had her in the previously.

Could be just bit keen aswell find few shallow spots not holding let her run them get her used to running earths not occupied they can get into habit of been dug out. Some dogs when layed up for spell can be overly excited some just need constant work as for the rabbit thats happens everyone at some point

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, dillydog said:

NEVER dig any terrier unless you're 100% sure it's with it's game, once you've dug them to rabbit you might as well pts, it'll only get worse

Agree with first sentence but totally disagree with second? I’ve dug to seasoned dogs with various animals in ground including rabbits and ducks! Telling a young man to PTS a young keen pup because a rabbit bolted out of a hole near where she was at wouldn’t be my advice. Keep bringing her to good active holes putting proper game in front of her. Never encourage her to go as it sounds like she certainly doesn’t need it… nice and calm around holes. The more she works the more she “should” settle. If she is to be a clown that trend will show itself over time. Then it’s up to you to see what standards you want to achieve with the dogs you feed. 

• Like 14
7 hours ago, Oshea said:

Good afternoon Chaps,

Been working a new bitch this season, who’s incredibly game. Had two successful digs to her, she worked the both Charlie’s very well with no encouragement from me and held up well until I got through. 

However, on the last two occasions she’s rocketed in and bayed straight away with pure excitement. After locating her in a short time I’ve dug down to find her baying at fresh bedding /or a tight spot. I’m embarrassed to say on one occasion a rabbit has bolted in the far end of the earth (which is something I don’t want to encourage at all). Although she’s wasn’t or anywhere near that particular hole I don’t want to encourage behaviour that results in a buggered dog. 

can someone cast some experience/insight into this and let me know what they think.

also there’s a second part to this question, as country becomes more and more tight I find myself going out on fewer occasions - has anyone found this a negative impact on their dogs? I’m worried I can’t keep they’re head in the game if I fail to provide the correct volume of work.

Go steady,

oshea 

Your first line of the question is what I'm interested in... been working a new bitch this season...

As in how old is said bitch, was she gotten from a well socialized and steady yard... Also depends on your self... But I'd expect a young terrier to have seen everything as in livestock, fields and ditches and everything a working terrier needs except work...and no pegging out or any of that... Once you can read my young terrier and it's recall and so on I just collar them up walk them around capable places and hope for the best or get a read and think hold back a bit.... Lot of options to be honest.

Are you encouraging the bitch mate .I know you state you havnt but even pointing to a hole is encouragement in my eyes .My terriers only ever looked at me looking at a hole to find it .Don’t encourage  is my advice ,can make for false marking .No need  for any words to enter a terrier .It should take to being beneath as easy as on top .The bedding thing in a young dog is excusable as is being frustrated by rabbits but as DD said you should never break ground unless you know the dog is on but only time served will tell you this .A dog fouled by a tight spot will whine with occasional frustrated yip but  if there’s quarry the other side it will undoubtedly scream to get through .Stay away from rabbity spots to start with even though they hold they make a young dog look stupid .Try stick to places that at least look straight forward to work .

Dont overdo the first season either mate .Better to keep dog winning and finish season  on a good high than with a broken ,worn out terrier .The seasons to step it up are the second and third whereby the dog will take whatever you put in font of it thereon .Don’t overdo praise either ,the dog should live for work not for the cigar .

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Corkman said:

Agree with first sentence but totally disagree with second? I’ve dug to seasoned dogs with various animals in ground including rabbits and ducks! Telling a young man to PTS a young keen pup because a rabbit bolted out of a hole near where she was at wouldn’t be my advice. Keep bringing her to good active holes putting proper game in front of her. Never encourage her to go as it sounds like she certainly doesn’t need it… nice and calm around holes. The more she works the more she “should” settle. If she is to be a clown that trend will show itself over time. Then it’s up to you to see what standards you want to achieve with the dogs you feed. 

I said "once you've dug a terrier to a rabbit" big difference from a rabbit bolting from a random hole. I've kept working terriers for 39 years, if anyone's known for giving a terrier a chance I'd like to think it's me. I can guarantee that once you've dug a terrier to a rabbit it won't be the last time and I'd personally offer it to a mate or pts. The problem most lads have is they don't know wtf is going on and they're in a huge rush to dig, better to miss one fox through uncertainty and bolt it than ruin a terrier rushing the job

• Like 10
52 minutes ago, dillydog said:

I said "once you've dug a terrier to a rabbit" big difference from a rabbit bolting from a random hole. I've kept working terriers for 39 years, if anyone's known for giving a terrier a chance I'd like to think it's me. I can guarantee that once you've dug a terrier to a rabbit it won't be the last time and I'd personally offer it to a mate or pts. The problem most lads have is they don't know wtf is going on and they're in a huge rush to dig, better to miss one fox through uncertainty and bolt it than ruin a terrier rushing the job

Bang on..I'd rather walk away for an hour if I thought a pup was messing than dig him... Come back after an hour he still there and result...some questions answered surly?

• Like 2
  • Oshea changed the title to /