Breeding goldies

I'm not too experienced but I leave mine together, I've seen allsorts over the years about splitting pairs of all species but I've never bothered. Do they split into single sexed groups over the winter in the wild?

• Like 1
On 27/12/2022 at 13:51, gnipper said:

I'm not too experienced but I leave mine together, I've seen allsorts over the years about splitting pairs of all species but I've never bothered. Do they split into single sexed groups over the winter in the wild?

Ok fair point 

18 hours ago, Abullx said:

Yh supposed to be easier to breed in avairy I’ve heard 

It is and it isn't,you can keep a better eye on them in a cage but then they are forced together as such and a rampant cockbird can cause all sorts of bother in a cage. In a aviary there's more for him to do when the hen is sat on eggs and imo a aviary bird will allways be fitter and stronger than a cage kept bird so a better chance of stronger fitter youngsters,,

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I'm putting 2 pairs of goldies down this year and they are together at the moment bonding in 4ft double breeders. I'm tempted to try them in these cages but there is 2 empty aviaries waiting for them outside.

Good luck for the season mate 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gnipper said:

I'm putting 2 pairs of goldies down this year and they are together at the moment bonding in 4ft double breeders. I'm tempted to try them in these cages but there is 2 empty aviaries waiting for them outside.

The thing with a aviary is you can sort of chuck in a canary hen or two if the cock is a egg pecker and that'll take his randy little mind else where,plus you get the bonus of a mule or two.. Good luck with the coming year and keep us informed with pics eh..:laugh::victory: ...

Edited by fireman
  • Like 2
On 31/12/2022 at 13:57, fireman said:

It is and it isn't,you can keep a better eye on them in a cage but then they are forced together as such and a rampant cockbird can cause all sorts of bother in a cage. In a aviary there's more for him to do when the hen is sat on eggs and imo a aviary bird will allways be fitter and stronger than a cage kept bird so a better chance of stronger fitter youngsters,,

Ok thanks I’ll give both ways a try 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Abullx said:

Ok thanks I’ll give both ways a try 

It's always a game of trying to guess whats right as some years one way works and some years it don't,but that is the "joy" of the hobby as every year is a learning year and i wish you all the very best of luck with your birds mate..:victory: ..

Th

5 minutes ago, fireman said:

It's always a game of trying to guess whats right as some years one way works and some years it don't,but that is the "joy" of the hobby as every year is a learning year and i wish you all the very best of luck with your birds mate..:victory: ..

Thanks you to 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...