3/4 grey 1/4 collie lame again ?‍♂️

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? Yeah,..I remember visiting a man, who I regarded as being, one of the best 'running dog Vets'... My bitch had a collatoral ligament injury, to a front outside toe , and it seemed to be a recuri

Vet told me 3 weeks but think I’ll give him 6 just to be on safe side ?

Ps the nails look a bit long to that wouldn't help 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, whitefeet4190 said:

I’ll triple check again in morning but I am pretty sure there’s nothing in it ?

The vet ended up taking the nail out but it never stopped him or slowed him up in any way with the quarry we were after at the time ?

2 hours ago, whitefeet4190 said:

It’s a Hancock spesh ? to be fair I do like the dog and when he’s good he’s good can’t fault him but it’s just these niggling injuries doin my head in and if it was middle of the summer I wouldn’t be too arsed but this time of year and only having 1 young dog to run it’s a bit of a shitter 

From the picture I’m surprised with the beardie it’s got bad feet

8 hours ago, whitefeet4190 said:

This is my first collie cross and seems like every time it’s the perfect lamping night the f***ing dog is lame, I’ve had 3/4 grey crosses before and never been plagued the injuries like this dog, I know the greyhounds won’t have hardy feet but either I’ve been really lucky with my other lurchers of this one is prone to injury’s ?‍♂️ any ideas ?

C6F870F2-5853-4048-94F4-1B57168E397C.jpeg

I'd give it anti inflammatory to help it heal faster. I had dog ones that kept breaking the same toe looked just like that . I found that keeping the dog 100% fit and right weight was the way forward 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, whitefeet4190 said:

It soft and he wasn’t so bothered about me squeezing it yesterday but I think by putting the bone radial on it it’s made it sore to touch now 

Cut its nail back till it bleeds and try to push the swelling goes down .If it is only infected then bathe it in salted water.

I'm pretty confident If any of our toes swelled up to that size we'd be rushing to A and E. However expensive it might seem, I'd take him to a vet ASAP.  They can do the emergency bit although most have no concept of full recovery for a running dog. Be prepared it will take weeks, maybe months to heal before he can lamp again but it's a lot cheaper than and less time than starting with another dog.  

There could be many reasons , I have had collie lurchers on and off for 40 years and they don't have particularly bad feet, accidents can still f...k them up, knocking a toe up on stones, thorns or grass seeds in the foot, shit happens and it's not the dogs fault. 

Keep the nails a reasonable length, proper clippers or a dremel, I recommend you don't cut until it bleeds, it's not the middle ages and it will make the next nail trims a circus act as the dog tries to get away 

Hopefully it looks worse than it is because the dog is game and eager to please so kept running even though it was hurt, good luck ?

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

I'm pretty confident If any of our toes swelled up to that size we'd be rushing to A and E. However expensive it might seem, I'd take him to a vet ASAP.  They can do the emergency bit although most have no concept of full recovery for a running dog. Be prepared it will take weeks, maybe months to heal before he can lamp again but it's a lot cheaper than and less time than starting with another dog.  

There could be many reasons , I have had collie lurchers on and off for 40 years and they don't have particularly bad feet, accidents can still f...k them up, knocking a toe up on stones, thorns or grass seeds in the foot, shit happens and it's not the dogs fault. 

Keep the nails a reasonable length, proper clippers or a dremel, I recommend you don't cut until it bleeds, it's not the middle ages and it will make the next nail trims a circus act as the dog tries to get away 

Hopefully it looks worse than it is because the dog is game and eager to please so kept running even though it was hurt, good luck ?

Two pages before the vet was mentioned.

That'd be my first port of call, too.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

You been at that eggnog again, blacky?  ?

Well, the way I see it, although I can sort some simple enough tasks out, if I'm unsure, I go to an expert.  Simple.  ?

Well I had some trifle and unbeknownst 2 me it got shezzer in it 

Noily prat