Politeness works.

I was about 12 had my first ferret and I used to go with with my father and other chaps but I wanted somewhere I could go on my own. 

One day I plucked up courage to go and ask the nearest farmer who was a fox hunting man and he never let anybody on his land. I knock on the door that seemed to echo down an hallway the dog was trying to come through the door and I nearly bolted. I stood there and a grumpy farm looked down at me as I asked for permission to ferret I was shitting myself. To my surprise he said yes think I sort of ran come danced the two fields to home.

Over the years we became friends he would tell me when the hunt was meeting at his farm and I would run around and open the gates he wanted opening for the day. I would always tell him of a lame animal or a break in a hedge he's past on now but his son still has it and I'm just as welcome. I never took a fox of that ground as that was his sport although I could have many times and I used to shoot foxes for money back then.

The son who is the farmer now let me put my lads ashes in a nice spot on his ground because my lad and me had many days ferreting shooting on that ground. Always take a good bottle and some goodies up at Christmas he always says you don't have to and I say I do.

The fact I had that permission got me the neighbours and so on you could go to another farm nearby and ask saying you ferreted so and so's ground. Very often if a farmer know one farmer trusts you then others will.

Had that permission for 59 years now.

Also got permission from doing a boundary hedge and the neighbour farmer has come along saying "And what the f**k are you doing" and this is where Fox is right in what he says. Be polite keep saying sorry I didn't think you would mind as its a boundary hedge and most times not all mine they have said you better clear my rabbits as well, result. 

Cheers Arry

• Like 16
2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

While i dont pretend to be anywhere near as dedicated or professional as most of you lads i like to think im a polite enough chap.....yet the one and only permission i have i got by blackmail ?

Think you'll need to explain this mate ???

• Haha 1
On 03/01/2023 at 13:30, brambles said:

Think you'll need to explain this mate ???

? Its not as bad as it sounds mate a number of years ago the farmer down the bottom my lane was having problems with some people and i sorted it out for him with little more than a " you owe me one " type of arrangement,so having never really needed anything from him over the years thought id call in the favour after getting a dog recently......he wasnt too happy about having an idiot like me bopping about his land to which i quickly reminded him how easily things could return to how they was before....f**k him anyway lifes about give and take right ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If I’m caught poaching I’m always polite after all I’m in the wrong. Got a fair bit of permission like it too. I’ve caught lads on my ground and most are ok but sometimes when theirs 4 of em and just me they give it large , no need for it. Caught an ex copper trespassing one day he was acting like a c…t had to put him straight. He was telling all the locals we was shooting over his head the bullshitting c…t and he was going to get me back.( had to be careful parking outside the pub etc) . I mentioned to his Nieghbour he won’t win as he parks his wannabe disco on the lane outside his house so .?????????

• Like 1

I don’t normally bother asking for permission but as above am always polite when caught, unless there is to much hostility from the person catching me, but my last bit of legal land, over a 1000 acres came after I stuck my tipper in the farmers ditch sneaking on and off his land, he tried to get me out with his tractor and said next time just park in the farmyard and crack on ?

C13C7D73-4877-4CB1-ACC8-AC772D804B17.jpeg

• Like 2