Twist rate and nontoxic bullets

On 26/12/2022 at 01:26, Wolfdog91 said:

From what I'm seeing loong in Google a 1:11 twist can stabilize up to 200grain bullets in .308. 

A good forum I'd recommend is accurateshooter 

True, but when you go into it,  check the length of the 200 grain bullet and compare it to a 168 gr mono bullet… the 200 grain is slightly shorter and would be shot at lower speed, thus stabilising… ( I don’t have any practical experience but have been reading and watching everything I can for the last 4 weeks so as a keyboard warrior I’m not sure how that holds up in reality of course…)

1 minute ago, Achilles-13 said:

True, but when you go into it,  check the length of the 200 grain bullet and compare it to a 168 gr mono bullet… the 200 grain is slightly shorter and would be shot at lower speed, thus stabilising… ( I don’t have any practical experience but have been reading and watching everything I can for the last 4 weeks so as a keyboard warrior I’m not sure how that holds up in reality of course…)

Reccomend joining this forum and asking these guys bud. These guys are shooting every under the rainbow if anyone would know it's them , most eveyone is super nice as well ?

• Like 1
On 23/12/2022 at 09:55, Deker said:

I don't know the specific answer but it is a potential problem many of us will be facing in the future, as we end up lead free!

Barrels/twists are built with current general ammo selections in mind, and as the lead free alternatives all seem to be lighter, who knows where we will end up!!

For now, the only (european) company that I found making a special nontox barrel was steyr or anshutz… a six land and groove instead of 4 and slightly less pronounced to reduce pressure,…) sadly it is sligthly too expensive for me right now?

A 1/11 barrel are perfectly fine for monometal bullets I load for a friend who use them and my brother use them to, 308w are the most popular caliber in europe so you cant go wrong with it, almost every european ammunition manufactorer makes both monometal and cup and core ammo in .308w and for 180gr bluntnose monometal 1/12 are just fine as its the standard twistrate for the .308w. 165gr monometal are heavy hitting bullets enough for bear and moose 95% retained weight after a hit a cup and core with good construction have to be about 200gr to have similar retained weight about 60-80%.

• Like 2