Euthanasia

There's a lady mrs goes to see, mid 50's, totally with it, but fell down the stairs a couple of years ago and is almost totally immobile. When my mrs went to see her one day earlier this year, she had gone. Turns out she had flown to Dignitas in Switzerland to end it all.

My mrs was questioned by the police to see if she had known she intended to do this and a couple of women they suspected of helping her to get there were arrested. Not sure what happened to them, but helping someone who can't walk onto a plane surely can't be counted as assisting a suicide?

Difference between euthasing animals and people is the higher risk of decisions being influenced by matters other than the person's best needs. I have seen examples where heirs were keen to get their hands on the money and other instances where relatives who were funding care home costs were keen to end their obligations. Then you have hoslital trusts keen to reduce their medical bills and clear beds. It is a moral and legal minefield. 

5 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Difference between euthasing animals and people is the higher risk of decisions being influenced by matters other than the person's best needs. I have seen examples where heirs were keen to get their hands on the money and other instances where relatives who were funding care home costs were keen to end their obligations. Then you have hoslital trusts keen to reduce their medical bills and clear beds. It is a moral and legal minefield. 

And that's before you take organ donation into the equation.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Nicepix said:

True, its a tricky one, both my parents are dead, mom died in 2 days from  clot on her brain, dad had stomach cancer, took him 7 months  to die from it. I looked after him in that time, that's getting his drugs =morphine, and any food but he didn't eat much, as didn't keep much down, he had most just warm drinks, but he was not in to much pain, only the last week before he died, but up to then, he  was happy in his own house nice and warm quite, the only thing he wanted was my mom by him, but she went 4 years before him. They were in 70s - 80s, so suppose had some life, maybe different if your younger, and lo g term illness, yep all cases are different, but we should be very careful what route we go down and take deff

• Like 2
On 20/12/2022 at 21:40, jukel123 said:

When I decide I'm going,I won't be asking anybody's permission. Wiping my arse is no problem at the moment.As soon as someone talks about doing it for me,I'm off.

I'm just putting this out there in case you're planning anything drastic...

Duravit-Darling-New-2251100000.png

• Haha 2

It's heartbreaking listening to your father wishing he was dead, my ole fella is bed bound and wrecked with dementia but in his moments off clarity (which are few) when he actually knows who I am the only thing he speaks about is death and how if he had the strength he'd end it. 

It's a living hell that for now he has no escape from. 

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Borr said:

I'm just putting this out there in case you're planning anything drastic...

Duravit-Darling-New-2251100000.png

Got one mate. Essential for my hairy arse. Saves on paper too. Or was that too much information?

Its all very sad makes you realise how lucky you are if your in good health. On another note I had the flue a few weeks ago and it absolutely floored me fever freezing sweating. Keeling over when ever I stood up. I thought to my self how do the homeless survive it must be absolute torture sleeping under cardboard if your really ill. Poor sods again make you realise how lucky you are are. Only takes one wrong turn in life or one disaster and your up the creek 

• Like 6
5 hours ago, dogmandont said:

It's heartbreaking listening to your father wishing he was dead, my ole fella is bed bound and wrecked with dementia but in his moments off clarity (which are few) when he actually knows who I am the only thing he speaks about is death and how if he had the strength he'd end it. 

It's a living hell that for now he has no escape from. 

I really feel for you in that situation matey. Just stay strong and hopefully things will end as well as they can do.. ?

Bless your dad mate.. it's a cruel old world at times!!

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Nicepix said:

It's frightening how evil and calculating people can be, even to their own family members. The number of times I have heard people moaning bitterly that  an elderly relative is hanging on in a care home and eating up their inheritance.  Out of order. Wishing your own people dead? It's the stuff of Stephen King.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 5

When Jeff, the old fellow who lived across from us died I knew that he had previously signed the house over to their daughter to dodge death duties. His wife had no idea until the daughter found her a place in an old folks home and physically carried her out of the family home she had lived in for over 50 years.  According to the old bloke next door to us, Jeff and his wife had done the same to Jeff's mother after his father died. 

Inheritance brings out the worst in people.

58 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

When Jeff, the old fellow who lived across from us died I knew that he had previously signed the house over to their daughter to dodge death duties. His wife had no idea until the daughter found her a place in an old folks home and physically carried her out of the family home she had lived in for over 50 years.  According to the old bloke next door to us, Jeff and his wife had done the same to Jeff's mother after his father died. 

Inheritance brings out the worst in people.

Scary creatures human beings. Never turn your back on them.

• Like 1