View from your swim part 2

• Jackknife changed the title to View from your swim part 2

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Already looking forward to the warmer weather.

Drove down to the gulf. When I started to release the shark,someone set off a firework display.Good timing lol.    

Posted Images

Had a few hours out this morning. It was -2C when I left home and 10C when I got back. I have an airport run this afternoon or I would have gone later. Must have been over 100 cormorants grouped tightly with herons, egrets and even crows trying to join tha party. The centre of activity was over 100 metres from either bank so out of range. If I could fish from the dam they were only 30 metres from the bank. Tried both banks, nothing doing  

20221218_100542_crop_80.jpg.ae5737814a927b039187fc48d8ac98ba.jpg

20221218_102623_resize_33.jpg.083accc092325a7cd0df60350e5af18e.jpg

On 18/12/2022 at 13:54, Nicepix said:

Had a few hours out this morning. It was -2C when I left home and 10C when I got back. I have an airport run this afternoon or I would have gone later. Must have been over 100 cormorants grouped tightly with herons, egrets and even crows trying to join tha party. The centre of activity was over 100 metres from either bank so out of range. If I could fish from the dam they were only 30 metres from the bank. Tried both banks, nothing doing  

Edited by Jackknife
5 minutes ago, Jackknife said:

There's a bridge over a local river I sometimes fish,seems to be a good holding area for fish this time of year had some decent chub over the years ?

Came here,to hide from the rain tbh?kill a few hrs,my lad spent £120 of his birthday money on new lures yesterday ?DSC_3516.JPG.a1cd507417264151c0e67952124e5920.JPGDSC_3517.JPG.136411bac6a22ef13fda2b55b7768f84.JPG

• Like 9

Few of the mucky b*****ds here on side of river warming up early doors.. Had a few shots at them with catty winged one of them guna go back down with riffle. A seen one last year on one of local lakes with a bin lid bream trying to swallow the poor f****r then just left it when it realised it was too big an wet back under watched it most of morning bullying all the others off the water. 

20221217_095712.jpg

20221217_095651.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
41 minutes ago, Bangersanmash said:

Few of the mucky b*****ds here on side of river warming up early doors.. Had a few shots at them with catty winged one of them guna go back down with riffle. A seen one last year on one of local lakes with a bin lid bream trying to swallow the poor f****r then just left it when it realised it was too big an wet back under watched it most of morning bullying all the others off the water. 

20221217_095712.jpg

20221217_095651.jpg

Lad at lake said about applying for a licence or something to cull a few but it only covers you to shoot a couple of them so not worth it apparently.

Good pics,Id never seen them high up in trees till few year ago sitting right up top of the conifer trees above a lake. 

17 hours ago, Jackknife said:

Lad at lake said about applying for a licence or something to cull a few but it only covers you to shoot a couple of them so not worth it apparently.

Good pics,Id never seen them high up in trees till few year ago sitting right up top of the conifer trees above a lake. 

Horrid things like mink constantly on the hunt. Wipe out big fish tench bream decent perch roach then leave them. 

23 hours ago, Nicepix said:

At this time of year with the temperature's as they have been, The silvers will come together and form large shoals sitting in the warmest thermocline. On a pit i fish that is usually in 2 areas dependant on the wind direction, They sit at about 8 to 14ft down in 40 to 50ft of water, Sonar shows a large congregation of predators underneath them, The amount of predators on the surface in your pictures appears to be showing the same thing. This pit is around 3 acres, you can fish anywhere else on the pit and not even get a knock at this time of year. 

2 hours ago, paulus said:

At this time of year with the temperature's as they have been, The silvers will come together and form large shoals sitting in the warmest thermocline. On a pit i fish that is usually in 2 areas dependant on the wind direction, They sit at about 8 to 14ft down in 40 to 50ft of water, Sonar shows a large congregation of predators underneath them, The amount of predators on the surface in your pictures appears to be showing the same thing. This pit is around 3 acres, you can fish anywhere else on the pit and not even get a knock at this time of year. 

This is one arm of a 120Ha lake, about 25 acres. The cormorants were massed in a very small area which is the deepest part of that arm. I have never seen numbers like that and today there were only five or six when I went past. Yesteday they were coming in liks pigeons to a set of decoys and bizzzarly herons, egrets and crows were circling a few feet above them. It was like those bait ball films on tv. There is no boating on that part of the lake and no fishing off the dam. I think by tomorrow they will have dispersed and followed the warmer surface water to the north bank. I should be able to get at them there when I go back. Ideally I want them feeding on or near to the bottom.

34 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

This is one arm of a 120Ha lake, about 25 acres. The cormorants were massed in a very small area which is the deepest part of that arm. I have never seen numbers like that and today there were only five or six when I went past. Yesteday they were coming in liks pigeons to a set of decoys and bizzzarly herons, egrets and crows were circling a few feet above them. It was like those bait ball films on tv. There is no boating on that part of the lake and no fishing off the dam. I think by tomorrow they will have dispersed and followed the warmer surface water to the north bank. I should be able to get at them there when I go back. Ideally I want them feeding on or near to the bottom.

As the pit i am on about is so deep, The only real way of getting bites is using a feeder with a very long hook length and ground bait that leaves the feeder quite quickly but no to quickly and try to catch on the drop, 

33 minutes ago, paulus said:

As the pit i am on about is so deep, The only real way of getting bites is using a feeder with a very long hook length and ground bait that leaves the feeder quite quickly but no to quickly and try to catch on the drop, 

Or a loaded zoomer sliding float?

On the lake I fish the silvers were around 1.8m deep in over 4m of water. If the southerly wind pushes warmer water to the north shore they will or should be wherever the depth coincides with around 1.8 metre or a bit shallower if the conditions remain constant.