The Living Legend

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dave charges £500 for a pup, just got one from him a few months ago, had 3 from him over the years,still got the old 7th generation dog coming up to 11yrs now, ran him on allsorts of terrain, never ev

I like Deerhounds and deer/greys; Cheers.  

Non-ped whippet/Greyhound x Deerhound; Cheers.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Lovely jubbly 

Sire was non-ped champion Memphis Belle, half non-ped whippet, half Greyhound. Broke Greyhound track records.

The owner offered to put it over my old deer/grey Lima, but I never got round to it.

Dam was a working deerhound bitch in Ireland.

Stunning looking dog, but I never seen it work, so I couldn't comment on its ability ?

Cheers.

• Like 1
On 22/12/2022 at 16:11, chartpolski said:

Non-ped whippet/Greyhound x Deerhound;

IMG_0460.JPG.997a7e9e02ca3687877094528a4f93c9.JPG

Cheers.

Beautiful looking animal Sir..

We bred a fair few Whippet/Greyhound/ Greyhound x Deerhound back in the 1980's ...

They were superlative hunters/lampers/Mouchers,..everyone locally seemed to have one?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 8
12 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Beautiful looking animal Sir..

We bred a fair few Whippet/Greyhound/ Greyhound x Deerhound back in the 1980's ...

They were superlative hunters/lampers/Mouchers,..everyone locally seemed to have one?

img070.tif.jpg

Like you, I'm old enough to remember before the saluki type arrived ! ??

Up here the deer cross was the " go too" type for daytime hare and roe.

Billy Docherty had great results with pure and cross Deerhounds, and I remember some of the Ashington match dogs, Thor and the Widdrington Train spring to mind. Heavily deerhound blooded dogs, and there was a lad from around Durham ran the same types in matches around Drax.

Even our old pal Tomo had some success with a whippet/grey x deer/grey.

But according to some, these deer types have no prey drive, are big lumbering curs........maybe the quarry wasn't as fast back then, or maybe we were easily pleased back then ? ? Or perhaps the people who don't rate them haven't really seen a good 'un run ? ??

Cheers.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1
Just now, chartpolski said:

Billy Docherty had great results with pure and cross Deerhounds, and I remember some of the Ashington match dogs, Thor and the Widdrington Train spring to mind. Heavily deerhound blooded dogs, and there was a lad from around Durham ran the same types in matches around Drax.

But according to some, these deer types have no prey drive, are big lumbering curs........maybe the quarry wasn't as fast back then, or maybe we were easily pleased back then ? ? Or perhaps the people who don't rate them haven't really seen a good 'un run ? ??

Cheers.

Doherty produced a  video of a deer/ greys working rabbits. I remember a really big dog,  circa 30 plus tts which hoovered rabbits up on really rocky ground. Land which I wouldn't work a finer boned dog. Think it's name was Axel?? Very impressive.

4 minutes ago, D Lloyd said:

To Phil and charts do you think there are deerhound Grey's about today that could match Saluki grey x lurchers on edible game

There's a certain fella on here built his house and raised a family on the exploits of his Deerhound crosses

11 minutes ago, D Lloyd said:

To Phil and charts do you think there are deerhound Grey's about today that could match Saluki grey x lurchers on edible game

Personally, I think the saluki type is the ultimate daytime hare dog, but other types are, probably, in my mind, better on deer.

But there are other crosses that can and do take daytime hares, and then again, not everyone wants to only run daytime hares !

Before the saluki lads say, "but Saluki types can do other things", yes, of course they can; I remember Max bringing a coursing bitch out of retirement and impressing in one of the lamping competitions.

Ive owned pure and cross Salukis, and most other types, but my advice is go with a dog that suits your land, quarry, circumstances, and most importantly, what you're happy with. ?

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

If we’re talking this old timers vs chavvy land drivers such as myself , I’ll represent my own views ,as it seems that @shaaark thinks I think they should all be thrown in the sea. ??

in one of @OldPhils tomes he makes mention of a dog called Chato , a gypsy bred coursing type I believe, well as a kid in our gang of Tyro coursing aficionados ?? we had bran , who was the result of a first cross dh gh to a coursing type . He was a machine , an absolute machine , just a stone cold killer , 28 ins of hate , that would think nothing of splitting hedges apart , smashing through cover , and I can’t remember seeing a faster dog , I mean that . He was truly special and to rip off Phil , he truly was a throwback to those big wide shouldered staghound types that would have accompanied Custer on the plains and now sit Proud on flat beds next to dead coyotes . He tore teeth to pieces , as in to absolute pieces, , he was the best roe dog I’ve seen and would work free as a bird on the lamp , with that detached dignity of a dog that had no equal . He was in his prime when I was about 12 and belonged to my mates brother , and went with him when he left home . We never had anything to equal him in our gang of nonsense makers until I picked up my lucky dog who made everyone else’s beddy and collie types look like they were running backwards . 
 He was also the best looking lurcher I’ve ever seen , a dark fawn brindle , feathered and wire coated together with a big old block head , put a neckerchief round him and he could have stepped into a mick cawston swing pan in front the vardo painting  . Truly beautiful. 

the next one I seen in great regard was a huge old first cross , 31 inches high , but it was like he was squashed !! He was dramatically short coupled , built like a giraffe but he was also and I say this from the joys of dealing with buddy , the worst natured dog I’ve ever seen out hunting , he would fly at other males in earnest and took some  thrashing away . I hated him , absolutely hated him  and he coloured my nature towards the cross forever. 

since then I’ve seen a myriad of lurchers with that blood , they have been uniformly useless but I do think that seeing and favouring the coursing types , I’m possibly doing them a disservice . The scope of their quarry has been mooching and lamping as for most the pursuit of old mr tod was an occasional jaunt into the unknown. 
my wife’s old boss was also the nephew of Anastasia noble …..I remember his face when I asked him if those grey beauty’s were the ardkinglass Strain. He nearly choked and asked how the f**k do you know that ? They lived a good life with him and his lovely family laying around his palatial Suffolk castle , intermingled with his huge menagerie of livestock , it was quite the sight seeing them stood roaming around amongst the sheep , pigs , and chickens like a medieval keep scene. 

I do like them though , as a dog that can lie by the fire , on a chesterfield , in grace , they are beyond compare . It’s just that they lack that workmanlike nature of a well bred bull x or a courser . They lack that robustness imho to take the hammer a jank bred lurcher can. 

im actually after a running dog next year . I’ll be settled and sorted and finally ready to start coming down through the gears of army existence . I can’t have a courser , I can’t be being out throwing stuff over gates watching down the road , instead something more laid back might suit me , who knows?  , if a lad was to put a deerhound type to one of those lazy desert dwellers with a splash of bull in it , I might be tempted to break out an old leather collar and the blitz for a season to see if what it can do . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1