The Living Legend

4 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Personally, I think the saluki type is the ultimate daytime hare dog, but other types are, probably, in my mind, better on deer.

But there are other crosses that can and do take daytime hares, and then again, not everyone wants to only run daytime hares !

Before the saluki lads say, "but Saluki types can do other things", yes, of course they can; I remember Max bringing a coursing bitch out of retirement and impressing in one of the lamping competitions.

Ive owned pure and cross Salukis, and most other types, but my advice is go with a dog that suits your land, quarry, circumstances, and most importantly, what you're happy with. ?

Cheers.

charts for your intelligence you still need loads of educating ? a strong coursing bred dog 26-28 tts will not be beaten single handed on deer a great one will not miss 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dave charges £500 for a pup, just got one from him a few months ago, had 3 from him over the years,still got the old 7th generation dog coming up to 11yrs now, ran him on allsorts of terrain, never ev

I like Deerhounds and deer/greys; Cheers.  

Non-ped whippet/Greyhound x Deerhound; Cheers.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, D Lloyd said:

To Phil and charts do you think there are deerhound Grey's about today that could match Saluki grey x lurchers on edible game

i’ll answer that d lloyd no ? it’s a stupid question to ask ? ?

Edited by mC HULL
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Doherty produced a  video of a deer/ greys working rabbits. I remember a really big dog,  circa 30 plus tts which hoovered rabbits up on really rocky ground. Land which I wouldn't work a finer boned dog. Think it's name was Axel?? Very impressive.

Axel was a touch under 30 inches TTS, I used to run a half brother to him, he was a very strong dog, fast and agile, it's a bit of a regret that I didn't take him on when offered, I had some canny days with him on the hares

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Axel was a touch under 30 inches TTS, I used to run a half brother to him, he was a very strong dog, fast and agile, it's a bit of a regret that I didn't take him on when offered, I had some canny days with him on the hares

seen a few like that big dogs but hoover the bunny’s up as good as anything 

17 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

When was that, mate ? I remember the name Axel ?

Cheers.

10 hours ago, Black neck said:

Well u should of done by crikey

Ozwhip Russells, no man is more fair dinkum, dedicated and knows more about terriers than me. Parents proven on crocs and scrub bulls. No saluki in them so perfect recall. They are living legends just like me ?️‍♂️. $85000 deposit per pup.

5 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Doherty produced a  video of a deer/ greys working rabbits. I remember a really big dog,  circa 30 plus tts which hoovered rabbits up on really rocky ground. Land which I wouldn't work a finer boned dog. Think it's name was Axel?? Very impressive.

I watch axel run a hare it it was giving aleast 200yrds head start,he picked up before it got 300yrds like a rabbit.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

charts for your intelligence you still need loads of educating ? a strong coursing bred dog 26-28 tts will not be beaten single handed on deer a great one will not miss 

Mc I remember Sally taking 4 out of 5 day time hares on grass all given fair law Sally was owned by gd at the time that night she took took a fox s/h and 2 sika she was some bitch I bet she took more gear than most coursers even see or could on vension she had no reverse same as star her son who took all quarry single handed 

35 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Ozwhip Russells, no man is more fair dinkum, dedicated and knows more about terriers than me. Parents proven on crocs and scrub bulls. No saluki in them so perfect recall. They are living legends just like me ?️‍♂️. $85000 deposit per pup.

Bonza

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Mc I remember Sally taking 4 out of 5 day time hares on grass all given fair law Sally was owned by gd at the time that night she took took a fox s/h and 2 sika she was some bitch I bet she took more gear than most coursers even see or could on vension she had no reverse same as star her son who took all quarry single handed 

?what time a year black and a whippet can stop   5 weak hares on grass land in september mate ? ?

7 minutes ago, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

Eric Ferguson from Ashington owned Axel and another local lad had its sister meant to have been good on all quarry day or night.

I was thinking more 70's, but I've heard the name mentioned, probably when I've been reminiscing with other old 'uns ??

Some top dogs came from the Ashington, Bedlington area.

Cheers.