A question for home lurchers...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, ya gotta look after your old pals,..they deserve a wee bit of comfort... "Work them hard and treat them like Heroes"..?  

all working dogs should be kenneled outside.indoors will make them soft.as a young man I actually believed this. experience has learnt me that it makes no difference whatsoever .seen dogs looking soft

Posted Images

All my working dogs have been kennelled.

Does it make a difference to their working ability?  I don't think so.

Dont get me wrong, odd times they've been in the house and made themselves at home !

IMG_0160.JPG.c4c3e6d551b8e26cd89708b172d7ca7e.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG.847863da5c858a03eebee48f36116292.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG.0fcac570c980a484d71e2c0bddb2d1d6.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG.2e9283ab38490666bf7e976b62618bd9.JPG

But they are soon back in their kennels, even the mini Manchester terrier and Chihuahua were kennelled, but the missus has just brought the chi inside as he's nearly fourteen .

But I definitely prefere then kennelled.....who wants a big lump like the deerhound crosses hogging the sofa ?

IMG_2050.JPG.df395a3b499e7c743ef2e9c20a370a69.JPG

As long as the kennels are dry, warm and draughty proof, the dogs will be happy ?

IMG_0228.JPG.67feba321643ad090ff90399e4d04a92.JPG

Cheers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, keepdiggin said:

Easy after a night lamping or digging just to chuck them in a kennel 

Im opposite to that tbh , Iv a kennel set up they’ll go in there in im out and about , but after a day or night work I’d clean them off and have them in , when I bathing them I can check for anything Iv not seen injury wise and I can keep a eye on them few hours after , find they recover bed too if there on the sofa for couple hours after working , when I had terriers after a dig it be bath and crate in a warm quiet room for the rest of the day 

• Like 6

I think in general, dogs kept outside can offen suffer with any bites, cuts etc going unnoticed. Like what has been said…hard nights lamping, chuck it in the kennel.., if you walk it before work it’s probably still dark… come home that night his foot or face is swollen… inside you notice things a lot quicker 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

I think in general, dogs kept outside can offen suffer with any bites, cuts etc going unnoticed. Like what has been said…hard nights lamping, chuck it in the kennel.., if you walk it before work it’s probably still dark… come home that night his foot or face is swollen… inside you notice things a lot quicker 

Not if you check the dog over and wash its feet before putting it in the kennel, as a responsible dogman would do ?

Cheers.

• Like 7

Kept the odd old dog in the house but the others were always kennelled. I believe in each having our own space plus its far easier with kennels when you get home and there covered in shit from head to toe and stinking like only wet dogs can, 

The truth is, its down to each of us to decide what's best for our own situation. 

36 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

Always checked mine over under the first street lamp as we came back into the village. Anything that required a better look or treatment was done before being put back into the kennels. 

All my dogs are   kennelled outside until they start to lose condition with old age,then they get the sofa,least I can do,when they served you well .. I always carry a first aid kit and a few tubes of dry cow in the motor...that way then I can see to any cuts ,tears etc straight away,by the time I get home swelling is minimal, they are fed a warm meal and crated up with a heat lamp?

• Like 3

Done same outside until they get old and come in when Im in. These 2 free roam of the house pain in the arse at times when filthy. Come back from Spain yesterday and mrs let them f*ck up a sofa ?. New kennel outside never used ha unless looking after my dads dog (then you remember how easy kennel dog is). Like having them in though and next dog I’d prob be soft again! 

F9C9FB48-A70C-4FB9-8ADE-C0503EE96595.jpeg

C4E5E0DA-F002-4C93-B4AE-ABF3D93EF948.jpeg

FC247E50-CD3C-4DDB-96A5-950544879724.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

All my dogs are   kennelled outside until they start to lose condition with old age,then they get the sofa,least I can do,when they served you well .. I always carry a first aid kit and a few tubes of dry cow in the motor...that way then I can see to any cuts ,tears etc straight away,by the time I get home swelling is minimal, they are fed a warm meal and crated up with a heat lamp?

spot on dc the old lady normally takes em once there old pappys them ? 

can’t beat crating em after a run i have like an inside shed we’re drier etc is so clean em crate them after a day night give them a check over the next day plus getting them good in a crate is good for if there ever injured or at vets etc 

i can’t be doing with dogs kicking you off the sofa hairs all over farting opening  front doors running streets away raiding bins raiding fridge ? 

little staffy wouldn’t bother me but running dogs can be fuckers ? 

Edited by mC HULL
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Not if you check the dog over and wash its feet before putting it in the kennel, as a responsible dogman would do ?

Cheers.

I’m a responsible dog man.. and mine live in doors.. a lot don’t though, and a lot after a nights lamping get put in the kennel, as others have already said with the replies on this topic.