When's a Charity not a Charity?,

Answer is.  When it becomes a business. Just look them up and see the amount paid to directors, Was it one of the Miliband Brothers who was appointed onto  the board of directors at Oxfam after his political career ended, £250,000 a year i kid you not. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me personally I think we should donate to the problems in this country before others, like battered wife's,  ex serviceman , children here on our own soil that are in poverty. I think we have enough n

I/We used to donate quite a few quid to a certain childrens home near here until they told us our contributions to the home could no longer be taken and could we instead start giving it to the general

In the last 10yrs,I have only given to the charity fishing comp,and to get an old acquaintance back home from Ibiza after a serious accident...I would give the shirt off my back to help anyone I know

My missus used to be the charity accountant for a local hospital and they are well worth donating to, as every penny goes back into the hospital, it’s spent on equipment not just spunked on managers nights out, she even set up where you could donate to certain wards so you knew where and what your donation was been used for. She said there’s a very well known children’s hospital in London that is sat on millions and very little of that money goes into the hospital, she also said the air ambulance is a worthy charity but you need to donate directly because 3rd party collectors are just mini businesses ?

• Like 1

Many charities are doing the work the Government should be attending to; lifeboats, guide dogs, cancer research and old folk's welfare for example. I stopped donating to the RNLI when it became a faxi service for immigrants. But, before then and before the woke brigade took over it was a well run charity. But why should a professional mariner rely on volunteers to save his skin? That should be the Coastguards job. Same with the other examples. The Government should be doing the work of the charity.

Then there are anomolies in that ballet dancers and orchestras have charities looking after their welfare, but sportsmen and women can't. A  lot of smaller charities were set up to harvest grants given out by the Government and are basically self serving in that their management costs absorb most of the income. 

There are over 150,000 registered charities in the UK. I would guess that the vast majority are there for their own benefit.

7 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

There are over 150,000 registered charities in the UK. I would guess that the vast majority are there for their own benefit.

I know someone who registered a charity for Ukraine, they haven't a charitable bone in their body, on remand at the moment for an offence not charity related but real scam artists. 

Charity starts at home for me I do not donate nothing to these organisations as there a business not a charity. If I see someone who’s my country man/woman who’s fell on hard times an needs a leg up to get going I’ll help them if there genuine but bag heads offering the ex servicemen line get feck all 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, mackem said:

I know someone who registered a charity for Ukraine, they haven't a charitable bone in their body, on remand at the moment for an offence not charity related but real scam artists. 

If you have time look up some of the charities listed at random and go through their accounts. It is scandalous what some get away with. For instance there was a charity that took kids fishing. The five trustees obtained money from grants and donations. Each year they took five kids fishing, twice year. Every year in turn one of the trustees got a brand new L200. Another managed the money left over 100 years ago to a charity. All they did was issue a couple of medals for life saving each year and had a pi$$ up on the interest the lump sum provided. Another was a hedgehog charity that got £200k bequeathed. They upgraded their 'hospital' aka their house, 'ambulance' aka their car and it was all gone in a year. They went from a turnover of £3k to £200k and back to £3k in two years before the charity was suspended.

9 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

If you have time look up some of the charities listed at random and go through their accounts. It is scandalous what some get away with. For instance there was a charity that took kids fishing. The five trustees obtained money from grants and donations. Each year they took five kids fishing, twice year. Every year in turn one of the trustees got a brand new L200. Another managed the money left over 100 years ago to a charity. All they did was issue a couple of medals for life saving each year and had a pi$$ up on the interest the lump sum provided. Another was a hedgehog charity that got £200k bequeathed. They upgraded their 'hospital' aka their house, 'ambulance' aka their car and it was all gone in a year. They went from a turnover of £3k to £200k and back to £3k in two years before the charity was suspended.

Note to self.... Register a charity ?

• Like 1

It’s a travesty that charities are operated, or allowed to be operated the way they are now. Taking the piss out of the generosity of others. They must be suffering now too as we go more cashless. I must’ve dropped hundreds into collection tins behind shop counters and bars down the years. Haven’t done much of that the last few years.
Food banks seem a good way to donate straight to those that need…, and to local people too, Was chatting about them at work a few weeks ago with a guy, and he then decided to send out a site wide appeal for donations. He delivered what was donated to a local food bank yesterday, must’ve been nearly a grands worth of grub and toiletries, and his company chipped in £500 too. Was really heartening seeing lads all bringing in bags of stuff, or clubbing together for a trip to the supermarket on a lunch break to fill up a trolley.

• Like 1

Take the earthquake in Haiti a few years back, over 1.5 billion pounds raised to help. That money built 6 prefab houses the rest was lost in what i would loosely call administration expenses, Not to mention the massive rise in Rape cases perpetrated by those sent there to help. 

28 minutes ago, paulus said:

Take the earthquake in Haiti a few years back, over 1.5 billion pounds raised to help. That money built 6 prefab houses the rest was lost in what i would loosely call administration expenses, Not to mention the massive rise in Rape cases perpetrated by those sent there to help. 

Haven’t give a ha’penny to Oxfam since that. Scandal must’ve cost ‘them’ millions. 

I thought the Red Cross was a worthwhile charity until they had a directors meeting and decided to drop the cross so as not to  upset other religions.

Perhaps someone should have told them the "Red Cross" wasn't a religious symbol, it was the inversion of the Swiss flag, where the charity is based.

Luckily the membership and big donors revolted and the ideas was dropped.

Next time they came to my door, I explained this as the reason I'd never donate to them again.

Cheers.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I thought the Red Cross was a worthwhile charity until they had a directors meeting and decided to drop the cross so as not to  upset other religions.

Perhaps someone should have told them the "Red Cross" wasn't a religious symbol, it was the inversion of the Swiss flag, where the charity is based.

Luckily the membership and big donors revolted and the ideas was dropped.

Next time they came to my door, I explained this as the reason I'd never donate to them again.

Cheers.

WWW.REDCROSS.ORG.UK

The Red Cross emblem on a white background is a sign of protection under the Geneva Conventions. It is not a religious symbol.

Personally I tend to support individual cases rather than charities and offer pictures for auction when they fund raise, usually or kids needing equipment or such like and for a couple of sighthound rescues. Unfortunately charity has become big business, I'm sure many still do a good job and are important but i'll stick to doing my bit in my own way..

• Like 1