Just had a message from the company i work for telling me tomorrow will be Christmas jumper day were i can donate 2 pound to save the children and were a Christmas jumper. Just looked on their website and it seems this charity seems to be more concerned about kids in other countries. My question is should charity start at home.

• Like 4

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me personally I think we should donate to the problems in this country before others, like battered wife's,  ex serviceman , children here on our own soil that are in poverty. I think we have enough n

I/We used to donate quite a few quid to a certain childrens home near here until they told us our contributions to the home could no longer be taken and could we instead start giving it to the general

In the last 10yrs,I have only given to the charity fishing comp,and to get an old acquaintance back home from Ibiza after a serious accident...I would give the shirt off my back to help anyone I know

3 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Just had a message from the company i work for telling me tomorrow will be Christmas jumper day were i can donate 2 pound to save the children and were a Christmas jumper. Just looked on their website and it seems this charity seems to be more concerned about kids in other countries. My question is should charity start at home.

yes   definatly  

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Charity does begin at home. Just look up the accounts of the charity and odds on the directors will be getting a fortune in wages and expenses. 

One of the reasons i won't be wearing a Christmas jumper or donating to this charity though i had no qualms about giving a few quid in a collection for a former work mate who dropped dead the other week after having a routine heart test at Sheffield Northern General.

Before giving to any charity it is a good idea to look up how they distribute the money they receive and how much the directors are paid. Just go onto the Charities Commission website, search for the charity then look up their accounts. You'll be amazed at how little finds its way into the cause the charity is set up to help. And how much the directors are paid. 

In the last 10yrs,I have only given to the charity fishing comp,and to get an old acquaintance back home from Ibiza after a serious accident...I would give the shirt off my back to help anyone I know who is genuine....I'm not swayed by the sight of starving kids... plenty of protein in them flies?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I/We used to donate quite a few quid to a certain childrens home near here until they told us our contributions to the home could no longer be taken and could we instead start giving it to the general trust where it would be pooled and dispersed to the areas chosen by officials.......nah mate,f**k right off !.....the whole point was to help local kids in our local area not strangers from around the globe.....yes charity begins and ends at home,once thats all in fine fettle then look to help others in need...but only then.

• Like 9

We had a tin basher who confided that 6p in every pound went to the charity. Basically all the remainder was his and administrators. We used to blindly give to tins for the local Air Ambulance but now any collections are delivered direct. Jok

Me personally I think we should donate to the problems in this country before others, like battered wife's,  ex serviceman , children here on our own soil that are in poverty. I think we have enough needy causes here before sending abroad. My own little business and staff received an award last week for the money we have raised for charities and helping the village community. After covid we raised over £6500  which went to various charities,  one a retreat for terminal children , various cancer organisations.  But also money towards the children's football and cricket teams and to have defibrillators fitted in the village. We also donate various prizes and gift cards to raffles local schools and churches and such like. But there does come a point were we are expected too and get bombarded. But hopefully what we doo, goes direct to the local people. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Leo Sayer said:

Me personally I think we should donate to the problems in this country before others, like battered wife's,  ex serviceman , children here on our own soil that are in poverty. I think we have enough needy causes here before sending abroad. My own little business and staff received an award last week for the money we have raised for charities and helping the village community. After covid we raised over £6500  which went to various charities,  one a retreat for terminal children , various cancer organisations.  But also money towards the children's football and cricket teams and to have defibrillators fitted in the village. We also donate various prizes and gift cards to raffles local schools and churches and such like. But there does come a point were we are expected too and get bombarded. But hopefully what we doo, goes direct to the local people. 

My misses was on about this the other day; most bakers seem to be getting 5 to 20essages a day asking for prizes and half the time the people aren't even customers 

• Like 1