Shotgun licence

12 minutes ago, Shefflad69 said:

Here goes I live on a canal boat so technically classed as no fixed abode and boat constantly moving would I be allowed to apply for a licence 

Phone your local Firearms Dept, and ask that way you get to hear it from the horses mouth.

Even though you are mobile you must have a fixed contact for post, doctors etc, so if have you could apply for a SGC, do you know anyone that has a SGC ? I have a mate who lives in a caravan, he keeps his shotgun at another lad’s house in his cabinet, although it’s his gun it’s on both of their certificates, but as paulus said contact your local FEO, because they all have different ways of going about things 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, .357shooter said:

just do not expect it to turn up for a couple of years.my mate who lives in a house has been waiting for over a year so far and is not expecting his license to turn up untill spring time.

That’s a shocking service, I was reading something a few weeks ago, I can’t remember which force it was but the person that worked for firearms also didn’t know why there was such a backlog, but were saying that the price of grants and renewals is expected to go up dramatically, they were throwing figures around between 200 and 300 quid, now I know some people will moan about that but for me if you are paying that sort of money I’d expect a top notch service and I’m sure everyone would pay it, no matter how much they complained about it 

3 minutes ago, Stavross said:

That’s a shocking service, I was reading something a few weeks ago, I can’t remember which force it was but the person that worked for firearms also didn’t know why there was such a backlog, but were saying that the price of grants and renewals is expected to go up dramatically, they were throwing figures around between 200 and 300 quid, now I know some people will moan about that but for me if you are paying that sort of money I’d expect a top notch service and I’m sure everyone would pay it, no matter how much they complained about it 

Been hearing a figure of around £240. 

1 minute ago, paulus said:

Been hearing a figure of around £240. 

I’d have no problem paying that for a good service, spread out over 5 years it’s nothing, I’ve been lucky here, Cleveland firearms have been spot on, but I’ve heard some people having a right carry on even as something as simple as a renewal where nothing has changed, if they can change it by charging £240, just do it, but provide the service people expect, if firearms said to me, it’s going to cost you £1 a day to keep your FAC and SGC I would have no problem paying that as I think having them is worth that to me 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’d have no problem paying that for a good service, spread out over 5 years it’s nothing, I’ve been lucky here, Cleveland firearms have been spot on, but I’ve heard some people having a right carry on even as something as simple as a renewal where nothing has changed, if they can change it by charging £240, just do it, but provide the service people expect, if firearms said to me, it’s going to cost you £1 a day to keep your FAC and SGC I would have no problem paying that as I think having them is worth that to me 

Agree with that. ? The only worry would be paying the fee then having the same slow service. ?

Edited by hambone
typo
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I have just received my Sgc and Fac  nothing changed and its took 10mths for renewal 

27 minutes ago, hambone said:

Agree with that. ? The only worry would be paying the fee then having the same slow service. ?

That’s the thing though, if you are paying 4/5 even 6 times what it is now you would expect a proper service, what I was reading the other week said it could only be put down to resources, I think if you want a good service you have to pay for it 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Netmaker said:

I have just received my Sgc and Fac  nothing changed and its took 10mths for renewal 

That’s a lot quicker than a lot of others but that’s still a joke, my mate renewed his a few months ago and that took about 6 weeks, he was told to do it online because if he did it by post it would go to the bottom of the pile, it took him 3 weeks to get the medical form done at the doctors, so in reality firearms only took about 3 weeks to do his renewal, I think mines due in 2024, I might send it in now just to be on the safe side ?

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Might not be a bad idea ?

Mine took 9 months ?

Yours was ridiculous mate, a straight forward renewal, nothing changed and you have held a FAC for years, yet it took 9 months and instead of just renewing your ticket they mad themselves more work and put you on at temp one, the mind boggles ☹️?