A close call

My 3-year whippet "Tiger" hit a stick or something (unseen) sharp chasing a rabbit & returned to me on wobbly legs. The wound in the middle of his chest looked deep & I had trouble stopping the bleeding. By the time I had rushed the 20 minutes to the vets, by then my dog had gone into shock. The vet told me in the examination room that the puffed area behind one front leg wasn't a good sign, usually it meant the leaking of air into the chest  cavity .That was not good news at all. I didn't stay as I had other dogs to attend to at home, it was there that I later noticed a message came in on my phone, from the vet. I decided to leave the message unopened until my wife arrived home. Furthermore, I then asked her if she would play the message, as I dreaded, the outcome, thinking "tiger" had passed. The message told us the dog was doing ok and all going good, he should be able to come home on strict kennel rest. The wound they decided to leave open, where it was free to drain & heal from the inside out. The wound it's self was deep and was on an angle  travelling between the ribs and the shoulder blade, had it gone straight into the chest cavity the dog would have passed away quickly &  given the ground he may have remained unfound. It's a sobering thought indeed....

tiger hole in chest.jpg

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 16

does look nasty mate...but at least it's good news from the vet...maybe in a few months time he will be back at it...

it's always the bad bit owning working dogs...over the last 40 years I have had ..and seen others either killed or badly injured whilst working....and I'm sure I will see more before I'm in a box...

best of luck with his recovery mate

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

Things mustn’t have been too bad if you had the time to take a picture for the www. 

It takes but two, maybe 3 seconds to take the picture if it was bad ,those  2 or 3 seconds isn't going to save the dog.

• Like 3

My old lurcher (now sadly gone) had a very similar wound the vet said it looked like he had been in a bad rta and he healed amazingly well and caught me many more rabbits. Hopefully young Tiger makes a full and complete recovery. Stunning looking dog despite his injuries by the way.  

I'm sure he will be ready for work in a couple of weeks time, so long as the wound has closed over. At the time of what ever, happened to Tiger, he was keen to carry on, but his wobbly walk told me otherwise. He has a real sense of humour and when I used to allow him to ride up front in the cab with me ,if we stopped to visit somebody, he would sneak off, go into the house unnoticed, grab a shoe and return to sit on the lawn with his prize. The shoe owner would rush forward and get his shoe back, and shut the front door, only to have tiger replete the crime again by going around to the back door, most times he had the other shoe of the pair. If I happened to see Tiger before the house owner, I would normally roar with laugher and point towards the resting shoe thief. One day he managed to grab a nicely cooked leg of lamb, at my daughter's home, I nearly wet my pants laughing (of course I replaced the lamb leg)at another place he went into the wash house and returned with a pair of ladies knickers and was wearing them like a hat.

tiger.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
4 hours ago, toolebox said:

I'm sure he will be ready for work in a couple of weeks time, so long as the wound has closed over. At the time of what ever, happened to Tiger, he was keen to carry on, but his wobbly walk told me otherwise. He has a real sense of humour and when I used to allow him to ride up front in the cab with me ,if we stopped to visit somebody, he would sneak off, go into the house unnoticed, grab a shoe and return to sit on the lawn with his prize. The shoe owner would rush forward and get his shoe back, and shut the front door, only to have tiger replete the crime again by going around to the back door, most times he had the other shoe of the pair. If I happened to see Tiger before the house owner, I would normally roar with laugher and point towards the resting shoe thief. One day he managed to grab a nicely cooked leg of lamb, at my daughter's home, I nearly wet my pants laughing (of course I replaced the lamb leg)at another place he went into the wash house and returned with a pair of ladies knickers and was wearing them like a hat.

tiger.jpg

Hes no good wi lamb legs but Dytkos is forever stealing ladies scives and wearing  them on his head so I'm told 

7 hours ago, allenaddams said:

Snakes, barbed wire fence worry me though 

Snakes are a minimal danger unless the dog grabs one. Where I am in Oz I only hunt in the cooler months because I have terriers as well as a whippet and the terriers target snakes. Not worth losing a good dog and it's too hot in Summer here anyway, your more likely to lose dogs to overheating than anything else.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 1