Give blood

Many on here give blood? Any big numbers? I’ve been and given for my 8th time today. Worked out I’ll have to go the maximum time in a year (3x) and it will take me 20 years to get to my old man’s number of pints given. He’s passed away now so the goal is to over take him. Plenty worth it for the sense of helping people and a couple of orange club biscuits afterward is a nice treat??. Cheers. 

Edited by Samrog
  • Like 10

Just now, Samrog said:

That’s brilliant how often can you do that ? 

I,m not sure mate she was a regular blood donor then started to do the platelets I don’t think everyone is suitable and sometimes they won’t take it for various reasons even though she’s been doing it years, sorry I can’t be more specific, ??

• Thanks 1

Me and Mrs used to (her dad  R.I.P) had a rare type so he gave gallons over the years. She had a silver badge (not sure how many pints that takes and I had a bronze one (15 iirc) but haven't done for a few years since they stopped doing the mobile thingy on the supermarket car park.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

Given regularly over the last 30 years other than after some illnesses, apparently my blood type is quite common, (ARH+) but can be used in a special way to help cancer patients. During Covid Lockdown i was given special permission to go and give blood in a neighbouring town, blimey it was nice to have a spin in the car somewhere different! 

Cheers Aled

I was in hospital in the Middle East and they found out I had o-negative blood. 

They asked if I would become a blood doner, and they would give me £50 each time or after ten times I would be awarded "The King Khalid Gold Medal, second class".......I chose the money !

I once gave blood twice in one weekend, as there had ben an RTA, and a child was seriously injured and needed a lot of blood.

I felt a bit woozy for a while afterwards, but I heard the kid pulled through ?

As ive got older, I've got low haemoglobin and I'm back in the UK so they aren't keen on me giving blood.

Cheers.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Bakerboy said:

Can you explain what you mean by that

I've touched on this in previous posts, sickness rife and used as holiday entitlement, refusal to deliver product if it could involve going over finishing time by minutes, unions actually dictating the shift pattern to suit, management having meetings to decide when to have the next meeting, ridiculous HR courses, I could go on. The blood is paid for by the hospital if its carried on a blue light they have to pay more that's why hospitals sometimes use the volunteer bikers. 

And yes I did do something about it when I left the NHSBT 10 years ago I put in a number of official complaints to some top Hematologist who was on the board but never had a reply.

I just want to add I would never advocate not giving blood, the people who take time out to donate are simply amazing and without them I would have lost relatives so thank you but this was my experience and it wasn't a pleasant one.    

• Thanks 1