Non-lead bullets.

4 hours ago, 3175darren said:

I have a 6.5x55 se and I am just starting to look at lead free , to be honest it’s a real step into the unknown , people say they are alright no difference in stopping power , I am somewhat sceptical , 

A lot of guys prefer them to lead , I suppose you will never know until you try them.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Here in Canada, lead free is quite popular. I have shot almost all my deer with leadfree bullets, Barnes Triple Shock. I reload so it took a little time to get a good load for my 30.06. For my .243, the load data from the site was great. I honestly don't think that I will go back to lead. Last thought, copper perform well at certain distances and velocity. Look for the correct bullet weight when just starting. There is a sweet spot for full expansion. 

Cheers,

Chopper

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have .308 and .243 (and .223).  I love the .243 and VERY rarely find a need for .308 on deer, but I am concerned about the future with these lead free alternatives, frankly I don't quite know where my .223 will end up either, perhaps a rabbit gun????

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2023 at 08:31, Deker said:

I have .308 and .243 (and .223).  I love the .243 and VERY rarely find a need for .308 on deer, but I am concerned about the future with these lead free alternatives, frankly I don't quite know where my .223 will end up either, perhaps a rabbit gun????

Hope not mate .

• 2 weeks later...

The way that everyone is writing anyone would think that laws had been past outlawing lead bullets.   As an aside I shoot 22lr target at a rifle club and there is talk about not being able to shoot lead anymore at some stage in the future but in reality there is no information or alternative guidance coming from the nsra about this.  Perhaps someone like ELEY will come up with a non tox bullet like wood or mud or some other non tox substitute considering we only shoot holes through paper cards at 25 mtrs.

• 2 months later...

There are alternatives but they may not shoot as good as lead bullets and not carry as much energy to the target for hunting.

CCI copper 22 has a bullet of a copper-polymer mix it weights only 21 grains.

EU are going to vote about a lead ban this year, the only suggested extemptinions are seal hunting , hunting for birds in top of trees and shooting ranges with lead traps of steel.

Again there are all of these rumours about lead free bullets but it like the clowns at basic making a random statement about that in five years time that there won't  be any lead OR plastic in the shooting field.!!??  So you have to ask yourself the question about .. on what basis did some bright spark make this statement  considering the ammunition companies have a counter statement on their web pages that totally refutes the idea.  That the supply of non toxic shot and suitable plastic components isn't  and won't be available anytime soon.  It's all there in black and white for all to read.  At present .22 lr target ammunition is 40grn soft lead.  if 21grn copper-polymer bullets were available for range use and they were CONSISTENTLY accurate would Eley or any manufacturer consider the cost of making them available would they consider the market worth it.?  I bet that the American  market would absorb as much lead 22 as anyone could ship over to them.  IF, Joe Biden looks like he will win the next election all of the Ralph's will clear every available round that they can get their hands on.  They always do.

Then nonlead rimfire ammo has become available enuogh we can be sure lead will be banned so some manufactorers may think they stay with lead as long as they can while new companies will develope different options to take the new market space.

A new problem for me I bought one box of steel 12g ammo and two boxes of bioammo(.com) the steel ammo has a maximum recomended choke improved, the bio ammo has a minimum recomended choke of improved, for the normal lead loads I use I have improved cyl, and improved choke tubes. Will I have to change choke tubes every time I take the gun out????

• 8 months later...

Well I am using the Barnes bullets in my prohunter 6.5x55 and have done since my last post on here,

I will say they have dropped everything I have fired at up to now, I will say some do not know they are hit,  and run on definitely more than with lead bullets , however they do fall, I did hear alsorts of things about lead free at the start when I was researching them, like you had to scrub your barrel , to remove all the lead round residue, or you won’t get accuracy, I have to say this  has proved false , and I do get reasonable accuracy, out to 200yds, but not tried out to 300 yet , I have fired them straight after lead rounds, and up to now apart from the run on , which might be my over reaction, I am getting on with them ok , they do produce a lot of blood loss , the petals on the expanded bullet does do their bit , I have shot a fox with them and it dropped on the spot , I am trying a different powder now Ramshot hunter,  so I will probably have some more messing to do .

I have to say it has been painless up to now, i was worried I would have to change my calibre, up to now though I would say that’s not the case , I will try to get a red this next few weeks as up to now ,  the only the deer species I have taken has been Roe , so need to see what happens to something more substantial, bloody expensive by comparison to lead bullets,