Bird Flu

Right lads, What is safe to eat, was handed in a few brace of pheasant and a brace of duck, don't know whether to eat or feed to ferrets, fella that handed them in says no sign of anything wrong with the way they flew and humans can't catch it, could someone educate me in this matter lol 

Thanks

2 minutes ago, brambles said:

Right lads, What is safe to eat, was handed in a few brace of pheasant and a brace of duck, don't know whether to eat or feed to ferrets, fella that handed them in says no sign of anything wrong with the way they flew and humans can't catch it, could someone educate me in this matter lol 

Thanks

eat it mate you fall ill it was a bad idea ? ?

Edited by mC HULL
  • Haha 3

I am with the above regarding ‘safe to eat’. Personally I wouldn’t hesitate. Same as Paulus says, a mix rabbit could be caught at any time with the virus but still eat the same. Anyway, what’s the actual difference between COVID, Flu, Bird flu or any other similar type virus? Jok.

• Like 1

We've been told to lock all our poultry up in sheds, but I haven't heard of any poultry keepers local who's birds have caught bird 'flu ?

I walk a lot of countryside and haven't seen one dead bird, apart from the ones that were meant to be ??

Another over reaction ? I don't know, but my birds are pretty isolated anyway, but how on earth can you keep them isolated from wild birds ? 

Cheers.

6 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

We've been told to lock all our poultry up in sheds, but I haven't heard of any poultry keepers local who's birds have caught bird 'flu ?

I walk a lot of countryside and haven't seen one dead bird, apart from the ones that were meant to be ??

Another over reaction ? I don't know, but my birds are pretty isolated anyway, but how on earth can you keep them isolated from wild birds ? 

Cheers.

Out breaks here mate just heard of a cull in the next village of Dartington.

Cheers Arry

1 minute ago, Arry said:

Out breaks here mate just heard of a cull in the next village of Dartington.

Cheers Arry

Yeah, I saw that outbreak at a turkey farm ........devastating, I know it's real, but small time, allotment keepers like me, who are fairly isolated, are governed by the same rules as the huge professional guys, and subject to the same draconian fines, so I have to bite the bullet and do as I'm told.

Shame as I've got some game fowl just coming on the lay, strange time of year, but I think I'll leave the incubator until the spring, especially with this so called egg shortage ! ??

Cheers.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

I had a solid roof on my aviary and still ended up bringing the birds in cages. Washington wetlands got a bad hit of it which is the closest to me now so I thought best to bring them in 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BEARINATOR said:

I had a solid roof on my aviary and still ended up bringing the birds in cages. Washington wetlands got a bad hit of it which is the closest to me now so I thought best to bring them in 

I used to live in easy walking distance of Washington Wetlands, and ran a lot of hares around Sunderland airport and the Nissan.

I'm now only about 15-20 mile away, over the river, Tyne that is, not Wear ! ?

As I said, I know the bird 'flu is real, but the way the government ant MSN exaggerate  things, I sometimes get very cynical, but I'll still do what I can to obey the rules ?

Cheers.

• Like 1