World Cup Thread 2022

Bit surreal watching a world cup with the Christmas tree up, and strange that Scottish football started back on Thursday, but got to say I’ve really enjoyed it. From probably the last 16 the levels went up, as the political side show largely died away to leave the football making all the headlines.., just as it should be. 
The icing for me is watching Messi lift the trophy. The ‘GOAT’ debate will rumble on, but for me Messi emphatically now gets in a three way conversation with Maradona and Pele. Anyone else you care to mention sits on a list of football greats for me, but not the greatest. What I can say is that Messi is the player who has given me the most joy to watch, ever. The perfect blend of team player and individual brilliance and someone that (without trying to sound too poofy about it) stirs emotion in me with the things he does on the pitch…, in a way someone else might appreciate the art of Michelangelo or the music of Mozart.., the guy to me is an artist among athletes. And what a final.., what a way to put the cherry on the icing on the cake.., and I feel he thoroughly deserves it.

• Like 6

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think your eyes must be f****d Ray...lol It came down to a missed penalty, we were the better side for large parts, most of these lads are under 25 and boys like Bellingham are playing like sea

I agree entirely, mate ? England took the knee against the USA, but they didn't ! Isn't the USA where all that nonsense started ? Then the sight of a team representing England kneeling in fr

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Deker said:

At lease we don't have to listen to Lineker preaching anymore.

I used to like him, but over the last few years he seems full of self importance and BS.

Yep, same level as that Owen Jones and, well overdue for a slap :yes:

18 hours ago, Deker said:

At least we don't have to listen to Lineker preaching anymore.

I used to like him, but over the last few years he seems full of self importance and BS.

Or that lefty c**t Gary Neville.......you're paid to talk about football you f****n melt not politics !

On 18/12/2022 at 19:21, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Disagree with you there a bit pesky but I get it . 

Ronaldo for me sits above all others as he was a one man band who destroyed teams single handed everywhere he went and got kicked all over unlike his protected namesake and messi imho 

Igree ive always said Ronaldo is the best player ive ever seen live......but i do think that game the other day has probably secured Messi's legacy as the best ever now.

• Like 1
On 18/12/2022 at 19:07, pesky1972 said:

Bit surreal watching a world cup with the Christmas tree up, and strange that Scottish football started back on Thursday, but got to say I’ve really enjoyed it. From probably the last 16 the levels went up, as the political side show largely died away to leave the football making all the headlines.., just as it should be. 

I think as a tv fan the coverage was good and we tended to forget the fact that it was being hosted in a non football country...but having spoken to a few people who went im told it was nowhere near the excitement or atmosphere of other tournaments......." staged " is the word im hearing it described as,which makes perfect sense really.....as you say though thankfully it was what happened on the field that made the headlines.

Personally i was delighted Argentina won it......it was a great advert for nationalism in my opinion......a team of 11 men the same who all identify with each other,who all identify with their staff and supporting fans.... beating a team of various shades of Africa,of which 9 were non European ....trying to win the " world cup " for France,a European nation.

When you stick with your own good things happen.....good for the Argies.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 6

I’ve always followed Argentina internationally as I love the nasty attitude they have when things start going wrong , for that see the Dutch game , absolute pantomime villains , love that hook or by crook mentality that’s fostered into the international side as opposed to the “everyone loves us “ Brazilian attitude. 

Two of my favourite things have been that Mac allisters brother is actually called Kevin mcallister ?? and aguerro going full John terry …??