World Cup Thread 2022

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think your eyes must be f****d Ray...lol It came down to a missed penalty, we were the better side for large parts, most of these lads are under 25 and boys like Bellingham are playing like sea

I agree entirely, mate ? England took the knee against the USA, but they didn't ! Isn't the USA where all that nonsense started ? Then the sight of a team representing England kneeling in fr

Posted Images

Moore's comment it would be good to put England out have come back on him  ? but on a serious note maybe bale will retire now he's been a shadow of himself but the first half Wales defended well but a aging squad showed maybe time to start youngsters like Johnson ect

9 minutes ago, WILF said:

If we get through a quarter final against France by some miracle then we are winning this World Cup 

I don’t see anyone a threat to us , have we been tested at the back ? No 

are we capable of stifling anyone in midfield ? Absolutely 

we are also one of the few teams that can Nick a goal from all over , weather that’s from our forwards , in the centre , from range and we are a huge threat from set pieces . 

i firmly believe that this tournament is ours to lose , we’re the best team of the so called bigger nations . 

2 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I don’t see anyone a threat to us , have we been tested at the back ? No 

are we capable of stifling anyone in midfield ? Absolutely 

we are also one of the few teams that can Nick a goal from all over , weather that’s from our forwards , in the centre , from range and we are a huge threat from set pieces . 

i firmly believe that this tournament is ours to lose , we’re the best team of the so called bigger nations . 

Because we've got Southgate in charge. He bigs up the opposition instead of going balls out to crush them.

He's the international version of Tony Mowbray ? 

Cheers, D.

29 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Because we've got Southgate in charge. He bigs up the opposition instead of going balls out to crush them.

He's the international version of Tony Mowbray ? 

Cheers, D.

We could and realistically should be going out and putting teams to the sword massively, we have that capability in spades , head and shoulders above those sides . 

USA game , we were wrongly set up for with the pax on pitch and that’s a worry for me as we can’t change the entire team .  But tweaks aside , I would love it if we went out next game with two direct strikers and just ran over the opposition early doors , we could easily do that with the bench we have . 

taa , Wilson , yet to feature , cameos from grealish and Foden , we need to capture that flair better and push on .

one downside for me has been this overthinking of free kicks , these two phased attempts , we have Kane McGuire and stones , three of the most dominant arial players going , get that leather into the  mixer  rather than this back stick knock down nonsense . Does my head in frankly 

• Like 1

Here’s one, I think Southgate has tried to emulate Germany, one of the most well regarded tournament teams ever.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but under Southgate England seem to split the game in to distinct phases, they are keeping the ball the first 30 or 40 minutes, probing, wearing down, it’s boring and relentless.

Middle 3rd of the game they start to up the pressure and are nicking a goal or two.

Last 3rd, game management with a knackered opposition and hitting on the break.

As I remember (and I could be wrong) but it has broadly followed this pattern in the tournaments under Southgate.

Its the German model of just be relentless, you don’t need fireworks if you just keep coming and coming non stop.

Germany have never been an exciting team to watch, but they just tick like a watch (historically) and just keep coming at you over and over and over again…..I have an idea that’s what he is doing.

Could be way off the mark, it’s just something that occurred to me. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, WILF said:

Here’s one, I think Southgate has tried to emulate Germany, one of the most well regarded tournament teams ever.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but under Southgate England seem to split the game in to distinct phases, they are keeping the ball the first 30 or 40 minutes, probing, wearing down, it’s boring and relentless.

Middle 3rd of the game they start to up the pressure and are nicking a goal or two.

Last 3rd, game management with a knackered opposition and hitting on the break.

As I remember (and I could be wrong) but it has broadly followed this pattern in the tournaments under Southgate.

Its the German model of just be relentless, you don’t need fireworks if you just keep coming and coming non stop.

Germany have never been an exciting team to watch, but they just tick like a watch (historically) and just keep coming at you over and over and over again…..I have an idea that’s what he is doing.

Could be way off the mark, it’s just something that occurred to me. 

I think your bang on..

Last night was a prime example of that..  very professional in first half, only occasionally upping the tempo and moving the ball quickly... 2nd half moved the ball quickly, Wales couldn't cope with the high press and speed England attacked once they had won the ball... this side is well drilled, very mobile and athletic and have a bit of bite all over the park.. 

They may well come unstuck, if they progress and meet France that is a real test, but I think we have the players to match them.. they have absolutely game changers.. but so do we...

There is strength in depth now, there are lots of options... I don't remember that for a long time..

• Like 3