World Cup Thread 2022

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think your eyes must be f****d Ray...lol It came down to a missed penalty, we were the better side for large parts, most of these lads are under 25 and boys like Bellingham are playing like sea

I agree entirely, mate ? England took the knee against the USA, but they didn't ! Isn't the USA where all that nonsense started ? Then the sight of a team representing England kneeling in fr

Posted Images

Just watched Harry Kane being interviewed, he's adamant that he will wear the puffs armband, even if he gets a yellow card for it and England get fined by FIFA.

If all these LGBTGTV8+ footballers feel so strongly , why didn't they just refuse to go ?

Cheers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Just watched Harry Kane being interviewed, he's adamant that he will wear the puffs armband, even if he gets a yellow card for it and England get fined by FIFA.

If all these LGBTGTV8+ footballers feel so strongly , why didn't they just refuse to go ?

Cheers.

In one regard, fair play to him, FIFA can’t pick and choose the politics when all they have done is allowed football to be politicised.

And he is there for the same reason we all kept watching while they spent a season giving a “f**k you” to white people everywhere.

We can’t pick and choose either !

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

I believe it has no part in the game. If I was in the Ukraine fighting right now, I wouldn’t give a fuuck who stands next to me as long as they are with me, back straight until the end ?

17 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Agree. But if they felt so strongly about Qatar, then they should have stated when it was announced in 2010 that they’d boycott. Other countries I’m sure would have followed. Regards the armband, I’m not sure it’s even Kane’s choice. Call it virtue signalling, or whatever, but this decision will be a calculated PR one involving the FA no doubt. Said it for the BLM thing too, open the door to players and clubs making political gestures and where does it all stop? The thing is that what we see here, and with the BLM thing is blatant political coercion…, with people feeling forced to make these (actually empty) gestures of support for fear of being criticised…, and the media are the worst of the lot.  I think a Qatari player wore an armband with the Palestinian flag today. Would an American player wearing a MAGA armband be acceptable?
And.., I know this maybe won’t be popular on here, I see it with the poppy now too. Foreign players lined up to a man (or woman) donning a symbol which actually means absolutely nothing to them, just so that they or their club won’t get stick on social media for showing a lack of respect for ‘our’ fallen. I’d rather they didn’t wear it if it doesn’t mean the same to them as it does me. At least it would feel genuine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

Agree. But if they felt so strongly about Qatar, then they should have stated when it was announced in 2010 that they’d boycott. Other countries I’m sure would have followed. Regards the armband, I’m not sure it’s even Kane’s choice. Call it virtue signalling, or whatever, but this decision will be a calculated PR one involving the FA no doubt. Said it for the BLM thing too, open the door to players and clubs making political gestures and where does it all stop? The thing is that what we see here, and with the BLM thing is blatant political coercion…, with people feeling forced to make these (actually empty) gestures of support for fear of being criticised…, and the media are the worst of the lot.  I think a Qatari player wore an armband with the Palestinian flag today. Would an American player wearing a MAGA armband be acceptable?
And.., I know this maybe won’t be popular on here, I see it with the poppy now too. Foreign players lined up to a man (or woman) donning a symbol which actually means absolutely nothing to them, just so that they or their club won’t get stick on social media for showing a lack of respect for ‘our’ fallen. I’d rather they didn’t wear it if it doesn’t mean the same to them as it does me. At least it would feel genuine.

Nothing is genuine anymore mate. I will however respect the game and I love a good match, no matter the sport ?

5 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Does anyone really give a shit how they treat the migrant workers over there, what they think about the lgbtq community or about their human rights abuses, cos I know I fckn dont

Likewise mate, however, it’s great fun to talk about double standards from all these organisation from FIFA to the BBC to the government and even players……I personally couldn’t give a flying feck if they had the whole of Islamabad buried in the foundations of those stadiums.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, WILF said:

Likewise mate, however, it’s great fun to talk about double standards from all these organisation from FIFA to the BBC to the government and even players……I personally couldn’t give a flying feck if they had the whole of Islamabad buried in the foundations of those stadiums.

I’ll go with the double standard theme…

image.png.75f3445702c715c1185d6baa65d04024.png

21 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Does anyone really give a shit how they treat the migrant workers over there, what they think about the lgbtq community or about their human rights abuses, cos I know I fckn dont

I don’t care, nor think it’s any of my business how the Qataris treat anyone in their own country. Point is that one of the planet’s biggest and most prestigious sporting competitions shouldn’t have been anywhere near Qatar. Any due diligence would have (and no doubt did) foresee the current issues being raised, but the nod was given to them due to palms being greased.., a blind man could see that.
Pains me to say it ? but the 2022 world cup should have been played in England in the summer. That a country with England’s standing in the game, stadia and infrastructure etc. hasn’t hosted the tournament in 56 years is nothing short of a scandal. They should have called foul in 2010 and refused to participate. 

Edited to add, Scotland would have no doubt boycotted in support ?

Edited by pesky1972
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, pesky1972 said:

I don’t care, nor think it’s any of my business how the Qataris treat anyone in their own country. Point is that one of the planet’s biggest and most prestigious sporting competitions shouldn’t have been anywhere near Qatar. Any due diligence would have (and no doubt did) foresee the current issues being raised, but the nod was given to them due to palms being greased.., a blind man could see that.
Pains me to say it ? but the 2022 world cup should have been played in England in the summer. That a country with England’s standing in the game, stadia and infrastructure etc. hasn’t hosted the tournament in 56 years is nothing short of a scandal. They should have called foul in 2010 and refused to participate. 

Either way it would have been one long vomit-fest wouldn’t it mate.

Don’t see much virtue signalling down non league I have to say.

You get what you pay for I guess.

Anyway, for some reason a tiny part of me hopes we go out in the group, it’s the nastier side of character that always wants to f**k up a party does that.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, WILF said:

Either way it would have been one long vomit-fest wouldn’t it mate.

Very good point, which I hadn’t thought about. Can you imagine the opening ceremony, it’d be like some sort of Notting Hill/Pride mash up on steroids.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1