Hunting rabbits

Why is it when people go hunting rabbits weather that be by day or by night. be that with dog, ferret of gun they wear camo gear, i was always told that rabbits were colour blind and movement, scent and noise were more of a predator signal than colour?

People like dressing up, to look the part, no harm in that. You also need suitable clothes to wear for the specific task in hand that are more durable and weather proof than normal day wear that these days tend to be made in cammo. Personally I prefer to be as obviously visible as possible. Hi-viz is a great start for your defence after an idiot reports you for doing something perfectly legal.

6 minutes ago, paulus said:

One of the The 5 S`s ?

We hunted the Borders in the troubles ferreting we wear hi vestabily coats got plenty of rabbits it's movement more that anything I think stand still rabbit hare fox run right by you move a hand it's away the reason why we wear hi vest jackets was so the army could see us more make sure no mistakes were made ? lamping was the same 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

We hunted the Borders in the troubles ferreting we wear hi vestabily coats got plenty of rabbits it's movement more that anything I think stand still rabbit hare fox run right by you move a hand it's away the reason why we wear hi vest jackets was so the army could see us more make sure no mistakes were made ? lamping was the same 

Without getting into the politics in anyway....did you have runs ins with either side? Whenever I read anything about the troubles and troops operating in the border countryside it always sounds like a dangerous place at a dangerous time, I often wonder what sport was going on at the same time. Descriptions of soldiers creeping through hedges to avoid trip wires and bombs..... surely a bloke and a ferret or even a pack of hounds wouldn't of been welcome?

7 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Without getting into the politics in anyway....did you have runs ins with either side? Whenever I read anything about the troubles and troops operating in the border countryside it always sounds like a dangerous place at a dangerous time, I often wonder what sport was going on at the same time. Descriptions of soldiers creeping through hedges to avoid trip wires and bombs..... surely a bloke and a ferret or even a pack of hounds wouldn't of been welcome?

To be honest mate both sides  came together hunting now we did have some scary time being stop my soldiers in the middle of fields mate they came out of no were but they were OK probably been watching us for a while we have been told to get out and go home many a time I could tell u some stories mate iv had over the years one time we called into a petrol station the bottom M1 2 hours later blow to bits something you wouldn't know who was stopping u because the IRA had patrols out too so you had to be very careful what u said to anyone 

• Like 5
44 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Was walking along a hedge line one night... stopped and flicked the lamp on and just happened to glance down and there was a soldier lying in the hedge bottom not a yard away from my feet, just 2 white eyes staring up at me, lol. He didn't speak and I didn't speak so I just fcuked off lively. 

Most British soldiers we met while out with the mutts usually showed an interest in what we doing and what we were after, if the UDR was with them it was never so friendly. 

Edited by dogmandont
  • Like 2

A friend of mine who grew up with us doing the rabbiting etc. and joined the RM told me similar tales as above when in NI. Spending days and sometimes weeks in a ditch "observing" and the locals would just crack on as normal knowing full well that there was a man in the ditch.

Mutual respect/apathy or mutual contempt? Probably a bit of both. Or just people getting through the day I think.

Edited by eastcoast
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

A friend of mine who grew up with us doing the rabbiting etc. and joined the RM told me similar tales as above when in NI. Spending days and sometimes weeks in a ditch "observing" and the locals would just crack on as normal knowing full well that there was a man in the ditch.

Mutual respect/apathy or mutual contempt? Probably a bit of both. Or just people getting through the day I think.

A friends ole fella got 2 young soldiers to hand slip his greyhounds across a football pitch for him lol. 

Only this ole fella would of got away doing the likes of that in the area it happened, he was some character. 

• Like 2

It's something I've never donned other than an army jacket the odd time ,never seen the need for it,I've shot deer in just plain clothes,I'd always lean toward the green or brown hues of colour but never cammo

I wear camo' trousers when mole trapping. Nothing to do with hiding from the moles, more to do with muck not showing up as much on my trousers. And as has been said; camo' stuff is often cheap and durable. The miltary smocks are ideal for country sports having good strong zips, loads of pockets and rip proof material.

• Like 2