Lest we forget

Today I sat on a bench with a cup of tea and thought about a friend of mine who I carried into a church with a Union Jack coffin and all the other lads who never came home , literally , physically and mentally . 

rememberance should never be given lips service . I actually dislike the whole falseness of the occasion . I wear an enamel poppy on my coat but as I stood up my phone popped up with a social media message , listing various celebrities who have posted “ lest we forget “ messages on their platforms . 

I have nothing in common with these people . Next year I don’t think I’ll even stop . 

tonight in bed , have a little think about those young lads and lassies from estates , who fought and died for their friends . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Today I sat on a bench with a cup of tea and thought about a friend of mine who I carried into a church with a Union Jack coffin and all the other lads who never came home , literally , physically and mentally . 

rememberance should never be given lips service . I actually dislike the whole falseness of the occasion . I wear an enamel poppy on my coat but as I stood up my phone popped up with a social media message , listing various celebrities who have posted “ lest we forget “ messages on their platforms . 

I have nothing in common with these people . Next year I don’t think I’ll even stop . 

tonight in bed , have a little think about those young lads and lassies from estates , who fought and died for their friends . 

Never served myself, but very close to a few lads who are/were marines... been on a lot of dos over the years up the camp, and watched a couple of my close friends come back from Afghanistan a different person.. walked a lot of nights with one of them.. he struggled for a while...

Pretty close with a lad who lost a leg (i think you'd probably know him) done a lot for the invictus games and was a speaker for a few years...

Like I say never served so can not hold the same opinion as those of you who have, I've only witnessed as a friend the physical and mental changes of war... like yourself fake posturing ain't my thing...but I certainly think about those lads a lot..and a little more today 

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

no coursing for me today went to the remembrance day parade me nephew was doing it with his cadets took me young un she enjoyed it 7094A274-BBCC-4B82-BC66-488E55F54A9B.png.3916d40fa32e853dff9998191d47fd71.png

is that slap bang in the town centre mate ?? Next to a little cafe Nero ?? 

I was working there a bit last summer …

I think everyone who wants to, remembers in their own little way. I’ve never been one for the big parades. Never liked mixing with the big wigs as they are not my kind of people. Each to their own. I found a plaque up on the Moor a few years ago so always head up there, crack my flask and enjoy the silence. Think of absent friends and the families they left behind. 

EF854652-C940-4B79-82D3-62D36C5240B5.jpeg

0F15BDBE-8130-451A-A09E-A41381DA68D5.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I always pay my respects. I’m grateful for what that generation gave me. 

I don’t think my cousin ever beat his PTSD. Poor chap felt he only had one way out. 

Lest we forget ANY of our fallen ??

• Like 2
1 hour ago, white van man said:

I think everyone who wants to, remembers in their own little way. I’ve never been one for the big parades. Never liked mixing with the big wigs as they are not my kind of people. Each to their own. I found a plaque up on the Moor a few years ago so always head up there, crack my flask and enjoy the silence. Think of absent friends and the families they left behind. 

EF854652-C940-4B79-82D3-62D36C5240B5.jpeg

0F15BDBE-8130-451A-A09E-A41381DA68D5.jpeg

Nice one mate....??

9 minutes ago, baker boy said:

WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK

More than 1,500 Albanians marched through London on Saturday, protesting Home Secretary Suella...

If they are proud to be Albanians why did they jump in a dingy to the Uk 

• Like 1